Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Has Keir Starmer thrown Johnson a lifeline?

The burning issues of the day
marhay70

Has Keir Starmer thrown Johnson a lifeline?

Post by marhay70 »

I often wonder are politicians given a photo of a group of feet and asked to pick their own because it appears most of them don't know them and will gladly despatch a bullet through them.
Here we were, with that arch prick Boris Johnson, gasping for political breath, about two weeks to live before the Privileges Committee delivered its sentence on him and his erstwhile buddies disappearing into the woodwork like worms, when Starmer, with all the forethought of a kamikaze pilot, turns around, out of the blue and appoints the lady whom most people see as most responsible for Johnson's downfall, as his Chief of Staff.
Is there a connection? no, they were friends and colleagues long before her appointment and he is a long-time admirer. Would any other impartial investigator have come up with a different verdict to hers? Unlikely. Will there be a perceived connection? Of course, it will be an anti Boris , anti brexit, anti British plot devised by the rabid left to stop the progress of Britain outside the EU.
My point is, Why do it now, why not wait six months or a year until at least he's out of the spotlight?
Biden did much the same with the classified papers and now the Orange one has a new lease of life and another gripe to pass on to his supporters.
Setanta

Re: Has Keir Starmer thrown Johnson a lifeline?

Post by Setanta »

Nah.... Boris Johnsons day is gone....this brexiteer nonsense is essentially dead in water,unless the DUP can pull off a political masterstroke or hold balance of power after next election

Its been years,and more important things on plate for electorate/businessess now.....labour will likely win,but stramer is an awlful human being however and his policies are destined to fail as they are unimplementable under present guise
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

There was a sizeable minority who would have backed him until Sunak came to his agreement with the EU which had really kicked him in the goolies. However it never ceases to amaze me just how nefarious, particularly Tory MPs can be, I would believe anything of them, a bit like FFGG.

Post by 678904673 »

A while back Starmer was in Dublin on a political visit. One of the papers had a headline "Starmer's no charmer". Which I think apply sums him up. There's just nothing memorable about him. If he was replaced in the morning I suspect in a few years people would struggle to remember who he even was

At the moment he's arguably the Tories best assest
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:05 pm A while back Starmer was in Dublin on a political visit. One of the papers had a headline "Starmer's no charmer". Which I think apply sums him up. There's just nothing memorable about him. If he was replaced in the morning I suspect in a few years people would struggle to remember who he even was

At the moment he's arguably the Tories best assest
Yep, in light of Sunak's agreement with the EU and the new mood in the UK, Starmer's "no going back" attitude could be the rock he perishes on.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I might have been closer to the truth than even I thought. It turns out that Sue Gray should have asked permission from Rishi Sunak before taking up the job with Starmer and is not free to do so. What an almighty cock up on Starmer's part. This could have all sorts of repercussions in the House.