Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Collapse of Silicon Valley Bank.

The burning issues of the day
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Re: Collapse of Silicon Valley Bank.

Post by Cyclepath »

Memento Mori wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:36 am Slightly off topic, but inflation-linked have not done as well in this environment (rising interest rates) as some were expecting. But if inflation continues (as seems likely) and interest rates do not rise further (before SVB I would have said rates would definitely be increased, now I'm not sure) inflation-linked bonds look a great buy.
Yep I've been reading and hearing on de telly that the SVB situation might give the Central Banks pause on their rampant interest rate hikes. Suggestion is now that the planned 0.5% rate hike due next month will be more likely 0.25%
Fingers crossed as my tracker rate is no longer that attractive :roll:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Have to admit I'm only vaguely aware of what some of these posts mean. Not very up on financial matters as my slimline bank accounts can testify.

But I see Credit Suisse, an important global systemic bank I read, has lost guarantees of further backing from their Saudi Arabian sugar daddies, and is "cratering". That's the word I've seen. It might be editors in search of drama. But I guess we shall see.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Credit Suisse is a big one, given this
Its troubles came into focus again on Tuesday after it was revealed that its auditor, PwC, had identified "material weaknesses" in its financial reporting controls.
So it could be anything,
time to focus james webb telescope on the black hole in Zurich.
IIRC one of the mods over beyond works for CS

I would say your wan, ex BOI, has some skin in this game
https://www.linkedin.com/in/francescamc ... bdomain=ie

this comes to mind