Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Psychiatric euthanasia

The burning issues of the day

Do you think assisted suicide/euthanasia should be allowed for mental illnesses?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

mariannaspring

Psychiatric euthanasia

Post by mariannaspring »

Do you think it's right? Canada was supposed to expand it for those who sole wish to die was a mental disorder but they've delayed it until March of next year as people are concerned there are not enough safeguards.

Belgium and the Netherlands have offered assisted suicide/euthanasia for depression as well as addiction and even tinnitus. I've been seeing a lot of comments who are disturbed but I don't see why. Mental suffering can just be as real as physical suffering.

Suicidality is a symptom of many mental illnesses but given how horrible mental health services are in North America and Europe, a person can essentially be left to suffer for decades with no treatment or inadequate treatment.

Would you vote on it if a referendum was brought here?
DeletedUser

Re: Psychiatric euthanasia

Post by DeletedUser »

After seeing dementia rob my big brave beautiful dad of his spirit - hell yes.

I’m a member of Dignitas but I should be allowed to check out in my own country.

In the space of six months I lost my dad and my dog - the dog passed peacefully and no pain and my father fought for every last breath.

We should have assisted dying for anything bit to answer the question - for psych conditions, absolutely.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm sad to see that so many now choose to die by euthanasia eg 3.3% of all deaths in Canada in 2021. I'm certain some of the choice is because of insufficient care or help offered. We are quite an uncivilised world that way.

But my father desperately wanted to die by euthanasia for a very long time and couldn't, so I have witnessed that anguish. And I know there are some conditions I could not cope with myself. So I suppose on balance the sad option must be there for people to take if they want.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Its a tough one....plenty of people who want/need to die in dignity,should be allowed to do so

But when they started handing out info/encouraging it at food banks in Canada,you'd fear the government, particularly here,would use it as a way to encourage the otherwise healthy but poor/elderly to be out of picture for political benefits
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Personally, I think the discussion around (and/or allow of) euthanasia is premature, because - as a society - we still haven't reconciled ourselves to the simpler option of just letting people die when they've reached the end of their natural life. There are still far too many chronically sick individuals deliberately kept alive for years and years and years just because we can keep them alive. Some of this is because family members won't let them go, but there's also a financial incentive for a large part of the Medical-Industrial Complex to suck every last euro or dollar out of their friendly neighbourhood taxpayer, or insurance policy holder.

We're also an awfully long way off providing good, basic prophylactic care and fundamental health education for children and young adults, and protecting them from the incessant psychological pressure applied by various old adults in the guise of "consumer choice" and "economic growth" so allowing euthanasia for psychiatric reasons is wide open to abuse.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

C R,
well said below
[Hope all is well with you: how is the camper van:) ]

Some of this is because family members won't let them go, but there's also a financial incentive for a large part of the Medical-Industrial Complex to suck every last euro or dollar out of their friendly neighbourhood taxpayer, or insurance policy holders.
Also the nursing home conglomerates
Was reading else where about 1,600 use a month for 4 weight loss jabs in the US
A roll of duct tape is 1.49 plus a few gallons of the stuff you take before a colonoscopy would work wonders!
Rinse and repeat
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The thing I find strange is that we have no problem in putting pets to sleep yet when it comes to people, it's "oh no"
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Oh, there's a whole industry built around "rescuing" sick and dying animals too, keeping them alive in miserable conditions because every pair of sad doggy eyes brings in another wodge of donations. Plenty of threads over on the other forum too started by people who won't make a decision to present their aged companion animal for euthanasia because they "just don't know if it's time ..."

That's something that's got much worse as pet-owners have started referring to their animals as "fur babies" instead of "the cat" or "the dog". Killing animals for meat is cruel, and killing a fifteen year-old blind, deaf, doubly incontinent spaniel in equally unconsciable because he managed to stagger to his feet once this last week and wagged his tail twice this morning, so there's still hope ... :roll:

Which is this same modern-day problem with accepting that death is a perfectly natural part of getting old.

On the flip side: the boss I'm working for at the moment has recently acquired a magnificent Maine Coon cat who was destined for euthanasia because he had a chronic ear infection and his previous owner didn't see the point in keeping him alive any longer. The previous owner now thinks he's dead, because of some subterfuge by the attending veterinarian. Plenty of scope for abuse ...
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Hell to the yeah I think it should be available.
Ima try my best to stay around until my mothers gone (obviously I want her to live forever but thats obviously not gonna happen) so once she's gone outta here.
be nice if I could just go peacefully but the way it is now I guess Im just gonna have to be inventive and then some poor fucker will have to find me.
Before anyone says that stupid "permanent solution to temporary problem ", yeah fuggof, I've been like this as long as I can remember, some of us just dont get better so a solution, no matter how drastic it is, is still a solution.

Anywasy , back to pretending everything is alright. :)
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I voted no but I'm not sure. A person should be able to do as they wish with their own bodies and that includes ending their life. My hesitancy is probably more to do with my feelings about death rather than what is right for another person. It's an uncomfortable topic for me and so is the idea of dying being so accessible.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm After seeing dementia rob my big brave beautiful dad of his spirit - hell yes.

I’m a member of Dignitas but I should be allowed to check out in my own country.

In the space of six months I lost my dad and my dog - the dog passed peacefully and no pain and my father fought for every last breath.

We should have assisted dying for anything bit to answer the question - for psych conditions, absolutely.
Sorry to hear of your loss, my mam died last year, she had dementia + cancer, but was so sad with the dementia, was hard to pinpoint exactly when we lost her ... she hadn't been herself for 18 months or so ... horrible disease.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:52 am Sorry to hear of your loss, my mam died last year, she had dementia + cancer, but was so sad with the dementia, was hard to pinpoint exactly when we lost her ... she hadn't been herself for 18 months or so ... horrible disease.
It is an absolute bastard - would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Condolences you to too :(
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Seanybiker wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:10 pm Hell to the yeah I think it should be available.
Ima try my best to stay around until my mothers gone (obviously I want her to live forever but thats obviously not gonna happen) so once she's gone outta here.
be nice if I could just go peacefully but the way it is now I guess Im just gonna have to be inventive and then some poor fucker will have to find me.
Before anyone says that stupid "permanent solution to temporary problem ", yeah fuggof, I've been like this as long as I can remember, some of us just dont get better so a solution, no matter how drastic it is, is still a solution.

Anywasy , back to pretending everything is alright. :)
Sorry you feel like that. I hope your mother lives to be 180. Of course everything isn't all right.

Before you make any decisions, maybe you could go all in, balls to the wall, because you have nothing to lose. Start somewhere warm and walk around the world for example with a bivy tent on your back, relying on luck and kindness, just keep going till you get to the last place on earth. Why the feck not?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 am I voted no but I'm not sure. A person should be able to do as they wish with their own bodies and that includes ending their life.
There's quite the difference between someone deciding for themselves that it's time to part company with their own body and some third party making the decision for them. That's where the difficulty arises.

I have no qualms about removing the moral/religious/criminal stigma of suicide (whether or not it's "assisted") and allowing an individual all the freedom they need to make whatever arrangements they need (though preferably in way that doesn't involve an unfortuate family member discovering their body in the most distressing circumstances).

But that's not really euthanasia as the term is generally defined.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I’ve seen people with far less much happier than in our society. Anyone thinking of making big decisions should at least go somewhere else and experience something different. Perspective is everything.

Someone from 100 years ago with the type of technology we have today would consider themselves royalty.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

isha wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:30 pm Sorry you feel like that. I hope your mother lives to be 180. Of course everything isn't all right.

Before you make any decisions, maybe you could go all in, balls to the wall, because you have nothing to lose. Start somewhere warm and walk around the world for example with a bivy tent on your back, relying on luck and kindness, just keep going till you get to the last place on earth. Why the feck not?
Ah I wish I could do that , just feck off somewhere, no plans just go but sadly agoraphobia hinders that process. Cheers for the well wishes :)
mariannaspring

Post by mariannaspring »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:47 pm I’ve seen people with far less much happier than in our society. Anyone thinking of making big decisions should at least go somewhere else and experience something different. Perspective is everything.

Someone from 100 years ago with the type of technology we have today would consider themselves royalty.
I always hear this and it's true but I don't think it implies that happiness is a choice. This may be controversial, but I think that our personality and emotional state is to a degree influenced by biology.

I've always thought of recreational drugs and how they can make someone happy/positive/relaxed with no effort even in an objectively bad situation. If that's the case, then it stand to reason that some people can be naturally happy with no effort on their part purely because of how their brain is builty.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

mariannaspring wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:07 pm I always hear this and it's true but I don't think it implies that happiness is a choice. This may be controversial, but I think that our personality and emotional state is to a degree influenced by biology.

I've always thought of recreational drugs and how they can make someone happy/positive/relaxed with no effort even in an objectively bad situation. If that's the case, then it stand to reason that some people can be naturally happy with no effort on their part purely because of how their brain is builty.
Maybe you’re right but I don’t think everyone has the ability to look at things from different perspectives as easily as others. It’s a skill that can be honed so not necessarily just a choice.