Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sunken Submersible Search

The burning issues of the day
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Sunken Submersible Search

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Can you imagine being stuck in that yoke. I read a bit about it and it sounds like it's held together with pieces of string. Shuffling along at the bottom of the ocean like a little plastic tea cup. You would want to be off your rocker to get in.

MOD NOTE - thread split, this has been mentioned a few times in other threads, I figured it deserved it's own.

Re: Sunken Submersible Search

Post by 95438756 »

Feel for ALL parties involved in the Rescue effort. Stressful for them too. There will be resultant PTSD.

Stop these expeditions.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

By all accounts it was a half ars*d accident waiting to happen type of job.

As ex Royal Navy as good as told Anton Savage this morning rescuers don't always like wasting their time or even worse risking their lives to save idiots that get into trouble through their own fault.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The C.E.O. of this company, Ocean Gate, didn’t want people with experience or that were in the military or “50 year old white guys”.

To paraphrase: There were other sub operators out there but we chose ours not based on competency, skill or experience but rather age, gender and personality

Post by 678904673 »

Reports suggest that the oxygen will run out in a few hours and there is little hope of finding them. A terrible way to go. Some of the comments on social media have been appalling. Basically they got what they deserved.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:44 am Reports suggest that the oxygen will run out in a few hours and there is little hope of finding them. A terrible way to go. Some of the comments on social media have been appalling. Basically they got what they deserved.
Pond life behaving like pond life - what more can you expect.
'no more blah blah blah'
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:32 am The C.E.O. of this company, Ocean Gate, didn’t want people with experience or that were in the military or “50 year old white guys”.

To paraphrase: There were other sub operators out there but we chose ours not based on competency, skill or experience but rather age, gender and personality

There ya go, my sympathies have fallen since seeing this.
What an utter buffoon, yeah we don't want the experienced people operating our subs, we want someone that ticks a box - I mean what could go wrong ??

Coming soon to your pilot, your doctor etc....
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I'd go for the grumpy ex navy white lad with 30 years experience myself. You could be glad of them when the going gets tough or maybe they would run away from it when they see the set up.

In my view they might very well have surfaced but it bobs just below the surface and there seems to be no way of easily spotting it because it's painted white not bright orange. They may never be found.

There is a good article on the BBC news site about the 1973 rescue off Cork.

Post by 95438756 »

They're done for.: Debris field found according to BBC news website.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464
RIP
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Their lives are ruined.

Post by 678904673 »

Looks very bleak and I imagine finding the bodies will be next to impossible. The only saving grace is that death was probably instant and they had no idea what was happening
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just curious, but how come apparently there was no beacon on the submersible or was there and an implosion destroyed everything at the point where contact was lost?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:40 pm Just curious, but how come apparently there was no beacon on the submersible or was there and an implosion destroyed everything at the point where contact was lost?
The suggestion seems to be that the explosion was do catastrophic that the submarine was completely destroyed
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I imagine an implosion would leave very little debris.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well that's it then. At least they probably didn't know what hit them. RIP

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:40 pm Just curious, but how come apparently there was no beacon on the submersible or was there and an implosion destroyed everything at the point where contact was lost?
According to the quote in this article, it's because the CEO felt that "At some point, safety is just pure waste" ... so he didn't bother fitting one.

Seems to fit with his attitude to not thinking it wise to invest in engineers with relevant deep-sea diving design experience, or regulatory certification. :|
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:42 pm Well that's it then. At least they probably didn't know what hit them. RIP

It’s strange to say but I’m relieved - suffocating in a tiny tin can does not bear thinking about. If they at least went quickly then it’s some small comfort for loved ones.

Also - has anyone read the verminous Guardian journalist and her position using this to go with the “tax the rich” bullshit. Not the fcking time :(
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Fratello wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:41 am I'd go for the grumpy ex navy white lad with 30 years experience myself. You could be glad of them when the going gets tough or maybe they would run away from it when they see the set up.

In my view they might very well have surfaced but it bobs just below the surface and there seems to be no way of easily spotting it because it's painted white not bright orange. They may never be found.

There is a good article on the BBC news site about the 1973 rescue off Cork.
B-b-but what about his skin colour? Don't you think that's important?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:26 am There ya go, my sympathies have fallen since seeing this.
What an utter buffoon, yeah we don't want the experienced people operating our subs, we want someone that ticks a box - I mean what could go wrong ??

Coming soon to your pilot, your doctor etc....
I’m so glad I’m more than halfway through the film - this world is fcked now.

Grand, boast about your diverse staff - you’ve got dead customers.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

jmayo

Post by jmayo »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:32 am The C.E.O. of this company, Ocean Gate, didn’t want people with experience or that were in the military or “50 year old white guys”.

I don't know any of the people involved, couldn't care less about them being honest.
Some had a lot more money that sense and probably wanted to just add to their collection of things that no one else had or could do.

The great pity is that the plank of a CEO didn't get to experience the slow death that was talked about.
He might have given him time to consider his strategy.

He sounded like a Grade A idiot, talking about how he wanted to hire young inspirational people rather than some old white guys with years of experience.
Then he talks about using aviation principles.

Did he not know the difference between going up in the air where you experience less pressure and going down into the ocean where the pressure increases dramatically.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:42 pm It’s strange to say but I’m relieved - suffocating in a tiny tin can does not bear thinking about. If they at least went quickly then it’s some small comfort for loved ones.

Also - has anyone read the verminous Guardian journalist and her position using this to go with the “tax the rich” bullshit. Not the fcking time :(
Yes Ash Sarkar , a vile vile little racist authoritarian thug.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:18 am Yes Ash Sarkar , a vile vile little racist authoritarian thug.
She is typical of the hateful left wing - see also antisemitic Corbynites and TRAs threatening actual women with rape.