Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Russell Brand

The burning issues of the day
DeletedUser

Russell Brand

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m as far from a fan of his as you can get but these allegations are absolutely ludicrous!!!

He’s a “complete slag” (by his own admission at the time) but he’s too much of an egotist to engage in anything less than consensual.

Once again the word “rape” is being redefined to suit an agenda. Reading this week about a young tennis player who was raped over 400 times by her coach; the series of gang rapes taking place in holiday spots at the moment - one where it took a day to clean up the blood, so badly hurt was one victim. Now it is defined as regretting sleeping with someone years ago, or he didn’t treat you well or didn’t care about you again. It’s very disturbing to real victims.

He’s also charged with “emotional abuse” - or being called names as we used to know it when women had some backbone. That and this whole “coercive control” nonsense needs looking at - if your other half starts off telling you what you can’t do or what you should wear, or who you can see - by God you push back! What’s the worst that can happen? You have no boyfriend?? Big fcking deal!!

Let him get his hooks in and the bad ones will turn violent - then you’ll never get out.

TL:DR - the current generation of women have zero spine and that’s why they are selling out to men/TRAs like we saw today.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Re: Russell Brand

Post by 4589236 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:13 pm I’m as far from a fan of his as you can get but these allegations are absolutely ludicrous!!!

He’s a “complete slag” (by his own admission at the time) but he’s too much of an egotist to engage in anything less than consensual.

Once again the word “rape” is being redefined to suit an agenda. Reading this week about a young tennis player who was raped over 400 times by her coach; the series of gang rapes taking place in holiday spots at the moment - one where it took a day to clean up the blood, so badly hurt was one victim. Now it is defined as regretting sleeping with someone years ago, or he didn’t treat you well or didn’t care about you again. It’s very disturbing to real victims.

He’s also charged with “emotional abuse” - or being called names as we used to know it when women had some backbone. That and this whole “coercive control” nonsense needs looking at - if your other half starts off telling you what you can’t do or what you should wear, or who you can see - by God you push back! What’s the worst that can happen? You have no boyfriend?? Big fcking deal!!

Let him get his hooks in and the bad ones will turn violent - then you’ll never get out.

TL:DR - the current generation of women have zero spine and that’s why they are selling out to men/TRAs like we saw today.
Jesus Christ.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Whistleblower wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:28 pm Jesus Christ.
Oh I’m sorry, did I accidentally stray from the One True Opinion where you’re innocent till accused on Twitter ???
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Post by 4589236 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:30 pm Oh I’m sorry, did I accidentally stray from the One True Opinion where you’re innocent till accused on Twitter ???
I genuinely don’t think you are capable of realising how profoundly disturbing your post was. So let’s leave it at that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Whistleblower wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:38 pm I genuinely don’t think you are capable of realising how profoundly disturbing your post was. So let’s leave it at that.
I stand by every word of my post.

I am sick to death of having women on one side treated like victims and assuming that we cannot stand up for ourselves - and as we saw in Dublin today and the media reporting, being erased by men.

#MeToo is the sane kind of social meds bullshit akin to a TikTok challenge.

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'm with PS on this one. There's been a run of reports in the French media recently of women being "raped" in the street and other "public" locations. In every single instance where details were given, it was various degrees of groping or what used to be called heavy petting. Sure, it might count as sexual assault, but FFS redefining every inappropriate genital contact as rape does no favours to any victim of "real" rape.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

The allegations against Brand show him to be predatory and unstable. Sure he has spoken in the past about his promiscuity and addiction but the accounts given by those women paint a different picture.

"...Before the first time they had sex, Alice says she told him she was a virgin and claims he was instantly aroused. “He was like, ‘Oh my God, my baby, my baby’, and picked me up and cradled me in his arms like a child and was stroking my hair. He’s like, ‘You’re like my little dolly.’” She says he became “preoccupied” with her being innocent and pure..."

Alice was 16 and Brand 31. Bizarrely the girl's mother was aware but felt unable to control who her daughter had contact with.

Another woman: ".....She claims he “grabbed me and got me on the bed”. She claims he tried to kiss her and remove her clothes as he pinned her down. Phoebe says “And I saw something come over his eyes, I swear to God, like, black, his eyes had no more colour, they were black, like the devil. Like a different person literally entered his body.” She was fully clothed.

I was screaming, and I was like, ‘What are you doing, stop, please, you’re my friend, I love you, please don’t do this, I don’t want to do this’ . . . I think he had his hands down my trousers but I was fighting so hard and I was screaming so hard, hoping that I could get through somehow.” She says: “I don’t know what the actual definition of ‘sexual assault’ is, but it feels like that. He didn’t rape me.......”

Not rape but frightening and simply not ok behaviour.

The courts will ultimately decide I hope. As far as I'm concerned he is a sleazy abusive piece of shit.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:00 pm I'm with PS on this one. There's been a run of reports in the French media recently of women being "raped" in the street and other "public" locations. In every single instance where details were given, it was various degrees of groping or what used to be called heavy petting. Sure, it might count as sexual assault, but FFS redefining every inappropriate genital contact as rape does no favours to any victim of "real" rape.
Rape and sexual assault are different to each other. What they do have in common is how abhorrent and serious an act they both are. I know you believe that of course, I'm just making the point that sexual assault can be just as terrifying.

Post by 678904673 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:13 pm I’m as far from a fan of his as you can get but these allegations are absolutely ludicrous!!!

Nothing over the top about that post at all
quodec

Post by quodec »

Some whacko is Mr Brand. A modern day Jimmy Saville. All bluster and ego. Not a nice man at all.

Fugue

Post by Fugue »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:31 pm The allegations against Brand show him to be predatory and unstable. Sure he has spoken in the past about his promiscuity and addiction but the accounts given by those women paint a different picture.

"...Before the first time they had sex, Alice says she told him she was a virgin and claims he was instantly aroused. “He was like, ‘Oh my God, my baby, my baby’, and picked me up and cradled me in his arms like a child and was stroking my hair. He’s like, ‘You’re like my little dolly.’” She says he became “preoccupied” with her being innocent and pure..."

Alice was 16 and Brand 31. Bizarrely the girl's mother was aware but felt unable to control who her daughter had contact with.

Another woman: ".....She claims he “grabbed me and got me on the bed”. She claims he tried to kiss her and remove her clothes as he pinned her down. Phoebe says “And I saw something come over his eyes, I swear to God, like, black, his eyes had no more colour, they were black, like the devil. Like a different person literally entered his body.” She was fully clothed.

I was screaming, and I was like, ‘What are you doing, stop, please, you’re my friend, I love you, please don’t do this, I don’t want to do this’ . . . I think he had his hands down my trousers but I was fighting so hard and I was screaming so hard, hoping that I could get through somehow.” She says: “I don’t know what the actual definition of ‘sexual assault’ is, but it feels like that. He didn’t rape me.......”

Not rape but frightening and simply not ok behaviour.

The courts will ultimately decide I hope. As far as I'm concerned he is a sleazy abusive piece of shit.
Fully agreed. Absolute scumbag. Too many people (left and right) are defending him on Twitter because they like his politics. Pathetic. The 16-year-old's story was ghastly.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Fugue wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:05 am Fully agreed. Absolute scumbag. Too many people (left and right) are defending him on Twitter because they like his politics. Pathetic. The 16-year-old's story was ghastly.
I’ve seen the programme now and yes, the 16 year old’s story is horrible. Whether there was a crime committed with her or not, I don’t know. However the very first story from the person he was seeing - that was rape, no doubt about it. Sadly she didn’t go to court - which was my point, he could easily skirt on this - as you say some people are defending him because of his politics.

I got it wrong in these cases and I’ll admit that

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:00 pm I'm with PS on this one. There's been a run of reports in the French media recently of women being "raped" in the street and other "public" locations. In every single instance where details were given, it was various degrees of groping or what used to be called heavy petting. Sure, it might count as sexual assault, but FFS redefining every inappropriate genital contact as rape does no favours to any victim of "real" rape.
Exactly - I feel desperately sorry for the woman who he clearly did rape but saying “he didn’t call me” or regretting sleeping with someone who treats you bad is not the same.

That being said he has never come across as a particularly decent human being and his career is effectively over.

I do stand by my comments re coercion though. Never let anyone tell you what to do.

DrTurkTurkelton
Verified Username

Post by DrTurkTurkelton »

I remember years ago when he was constantly in the news and something seemed very off with him.
Hadn't heard of him in years though. Wasn't it him and Johnathon Ross made the call to Manuel from Fawlty Towers about his granddaughter. If I remember that correctly he is a c*nt.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

DrTurkTurkelton wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:19 am I remember years ago when he was constantly in the news and something seemed very off with him.
Hadn't heard of him in years though. Wasn't it him and Johnathon Ross made the call to Manuel from Fawlty Towers about his granddaughter. If I remember that correctly he is a c*nt.
100%
https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/3818 ... %20long%3F
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

That started off as a “joke” (not especially funny but free speech is free speech) and it should have been an off-mic conversation between him and Jonathan Ross. Why they thought it was ok to record it is baffling - they’re both professionals.

The second they phoned Andrew Sachs it ended up being something he was deservedly sacked from Radio 2 for.

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:26 am Exactly - I feel desperately sorry for the woman who he clearly did rape but saying “he didn’t call me” or regretting sleeping with someone who treats you bad is not the same.

That being said he has never come across as a particularly decent human being and his career is effectively over.

I do stand by my comments re coercion though. Never let anyone tell you what to do.
I get what you are saying about coercive control PS. I am a big advocate of standing up for oneself and asserting your boundaries. I can understand why it doesn't always happen however. I have friends who let their managers and colleagues walk all over them, I was one of them many years ago. Why not speak up? Fear, lack of self worth, no confidence in ability, no support. It's similar for a person in a relationship with a controller. I remember what it was like to be told that I shouldn't eat 'bad food' and getting up later than 9 am is 'lazy'. All under the cover of 'I just worry about you'. I let that happen. I did attempt to push back about certain things but that would create horrible tension, being told I was stupid, silent treatment. So I stopped. Stopped caring. Adopted a state that was familiar to me from earlier years.

Why did I put up with all of that and the rest? I knew it wasn't ok. I knew I was miserable. I was awful lonely. Moving back home seemed like a worse option. There were good times and maybe everything will be ok. Others will feel that it's all deserve, then there will be those who associate love with abuse as it is all they know. That was all very mild in comparison with what others go through.

I think if you have the strength at the beginning of a relationship to walk away rather than get caught in giving more and more chances and the futility of hope in such circumstances, that's when you act. The more that time rolls on the more difficult it can become. There's a poster over yonder who has written about the impact his brother's wife has had on the family. It's an incredible account of the abuse and power one person can wield over another. Impossible to walk away when you don't even think you are being abused.

It's so much more complicated I feel than not letting someone what to do.
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

It's a complete witchhunt, the establishment hate the guy cos he speaks the truth and has millions of followers.

So up comes a concocted cock + bull story, all bs none of it is true.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The allegations seem credible and Brand from then was more then capable IMO but why are these allegations only coming out now? Prior to 2006 might be plausible, before the metoo movement. Surely this must give one pause for doubt.

Veering into tinfoil hat territory I’d guess he’s being attacked for his recent about turn in politics- becoming anti establishment. Just another in a long line of people who get destroyed for the wrong views. If he’s guilty he should be punished but these days the allegations are enough to ruin someone(unless you’re joe Biden), even if it turns out they were innocent.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I literally have no idea what is the truth of these allegations - I'm surprised they are in the media instead of being in court or under police investigation where there are procedures for such allegations.
It's amazing how different the responses to the stories are, shows how absolutely polarised every single thing is now - we live in parallel worlds, amazing how many have come out to say he is being wrongly accused, and how many equally say he's an absolute bastard.

I don't know much about his media life - I've watched a couple of snippets of things, but his style is too manic and demagogic for me to tolerate.
It's also not the first time I have heard stories about him.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:56 pm I literally have no idea what is the truth of these allegations - I'm surprised they are in the media instead of being in court or under police investigation where there are procedures for such allegations.
It's amazing how different the responses to the stories are, shows how absolutely polarised every single thing is now - we live in parallel worlds, amazing how many have come out to say he is being wrongly accused, and how many equally say he's an absolute bastard.

I don't know much about his media life - I've watched a couple of snippets of things, but his style is too manic and demagogic for me to tolerate.
It's also not the first time I have heard stories about him.
Sad to say Isha as we’ve seen with anyone who stands up against the so called trans lobby - cancellation is quick, easy and very one sided.

In court you need evidence and be prepared to be cross examined and judged by an independent jury.

Fugue

Post by Fugue »

RogerMoore wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:46 pm It's a complete witchhunt, the establishment hate the guy cos he speaks the truth and has millions of followers.

So up comes a concocted cock + bull story, all bs none of it is true.
How do you know it's concocted, all bullsh1t, none of it is true?

One thing to be sceptical of some of it, but to state as fact that absolutely all of it is fabricated, is preposterous. And it's just because you agree with his views. This is such a big problem with online discourse. You stand up for women when it comes to gender ideology, but dismiss all the ones involved in this case just because you like Brand? Absurd. I mean there is actual recorded evidence that he behaved like a disgusting scumbag when he presented on BBC radio. This isn't illegal of course but it's a window into the kind of person he was/is. It's an illogical assessment - "I like the guy's views so therefore he can't possibly be capable of this behaviour"?

I've never liked him, whatever his views. Always thought he was a horrible chauvinist sh1t.

And it was Channel 4's Dispatches who made the documentary, not some shadowy organisation which people keep referring to as "they".
Last edited by Fugue on Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:00 pm Sad to say Isha as we’ve seen with anyone who stands up against the so called trans lobby - cancellation is quick, easy and very one sided.

In court you need evidence and be prepared to be cross examined and judged by an independent jury.
To be honest, I am not coming out in his defense. I know someone who knows him - the reports are not great.
I don't know if this spate of allegations is as a counter to any political opinions he may be sharing. Maybe it is, anything is possible. But there are lots of people sharing stuff who are not alleged to be sexually abusive.
There was a long time in his life when he was self admittedly a very heavy drug user - one can do extremely bad things under such circumstances.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:05 pm To be honest, I am not coming out in his defense. I know someone who knows him - the reports are not great.
I don't know if this spate of allegations is as a counter to any political opinions he may be sharing. Maybe it is, anything is possible. But there are lots of people sharing stuff who are not alleged to be sexually abusive.
There was a long time in his life when he was self admittedly a very heavy drug user - one can do extremely bad things under such circumstances.
Oh agreed - I spoke hastily before I saw the programme.

I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near him but being a creep is not illegal.

Perhaps he is being set up for his opinions but he certainly gave them enough ammo.

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

I'm gathering Russell Brand is the same comedian who Katherine Ryan called out as a sexual predator (without actually naming him) in interviews with Sara Pascoe and Louis Theroux nine months ago.
She'd made a panel show with him in front of a live studio audience, and everyday while it was being recorded, she'd constantly call him a sexual deviant to his face, even though she states, she was never approached in a sexual way herself by this predator . . . Any of the spats she had with this unnamed celebrity were edited out of the show before it was ever transmitted.

I'd be surprised if it isn't Brand she was referring to.