Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

A pity that this place is so quiet

The burning issues of the day
jmayo

Re: A pity that this place is so quiet

Post by jmayo »

kadman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:30 am Your post had a closer association with an insult than it did to a comical quip. Lets just leave it at that
Listen your lad has done very well, is at the very top of his game and there is every reason to be proud.

I was only thinking most of us couldn't ever hope to get away with a suit like that.

And of course I got the comparison wrong as well, Joe was famous for the white suits.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

jmayo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:24 pm Listen your lad has done very well, is at the very top of his game and there is every reason to be proud.

I was only thinking most of us couldn't ever hope to get away with a suit like that.

And of course I got the comparison wrong as well, Joe was famous for the white suits.
When you are deep in a hole, most people would know when to stop digging. Can we just leave it at that please.
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

The place wouldn't be so quiet if certain posters would refrain from having a go at other posters' kids.

Congratulations, kadman. I hope you're very proud.

@jmayo I hope you're ashamed of your comments.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

jmayo thought he was being funny, kadman did not. They've both said their piece.

Can we all just leave it at that as kadman suggests?
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

This site has the distinct vibe of old man yelling at clouds. Which is a pity. That's why Bucky has joined. Bucky's mission is to shake this place up and help GUBU become Ireland's leading discussion site. Bucky will return later with his hot take on the various burning topics. Stay logged in for updates. Exciting times ahead.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Bucky wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:48 pm This site has the distinct vibe of old man yelling at clouds. Which is a pity. That's why Bucky has joined. Bucky's mission is to shake this place up and help GUBU become Ireland's leading discussion site. Bucky will return later with his hot take on the various burning topics. Stay logged in for updates. Exciting times ahead.
I, for one, look forward to bucky’s contributions :lol:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:49 am I, for one, look forward to bucky’s contributions :lol:
Bucky has set a high bar for him/herself, let's see if they can reach it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

To paraphrase Monty Python's John Cleese - this place wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it. It's not Guburnor or the site's fault that the bulk of younger people can only take/give information in 3 second snapchat/tiktok sound bites or prefer to get their information from coked-up influencers and brain dead conspiracy podcasters. We are fighting a losing battle against the great unwashed. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 am To paraphrase Monty Python's John Cleese - this place wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it. It's not Guburnor or the site's fault that the bulk of younger people can only take/give information in 3 second snapchat/tiktok sound bites or prefer to get their information from coked-up influencers and brain dead conspiracy podcasters. We are fighting a losing battle against the great unwashed. :mrgreen:
On one of the rare occasions that I pay for anything with cash, I handed over €10 for an item costing €7.35. Despite the computer in front of her telling her the correct amount of change to give, she still got it wrong. In an example of the spare brain capacity kids leaving school have, it took me the guts of five minutes to convince her of the fact. AI doesn't really have much of a task in hand when it comes to world domination, I'm afraid.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 am On one of the rare occasions that I pay for anything with cash, I handed over €10 for an item costing €7.35. Despite the computer in front of her telling her the correct amount of change to give, she still got it wrong. In an example of the spare brain capacity kids leaving school have, it took me the guts of five minutes to convince her of the fact. AI doesn't really have much of a task in hand when it comes to world domination, I'm afraid.
Yeah but it doesn't matter in lots of places nowadays since they have the tills that works out the change.

Mankind sorry humankind has been losing stored knowledge, capabilities and skills over time.

The old manual skills of cooper, blacksmiths, cobblers, etc were once so widespread, now there are a small few keeping it going.

More worrying of course nowadays general capabilities once a lot of the population once had to have are no longer necessary.
Mental arithmetic is no longer necessary since calculators, then phones, now fancy checkouts.

Map reading no longer necessary.

Hell being able to type is going out since voice controls come in.

How about the drive (sorry for the pun) to remove physical drivers from our cars.

Over time cars won't have a manual gearshift so there goes that skill.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

jmayo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am Yeah but it doesn't matter in lots of places nowadays since they have the tills that works out the change.

Mankind sorry humankind has been losing stored knowledge, capabilities and skills over time.

The old manual skills of cooper, blacksmiths, cobblers, etc were once so widespread, now there are a small few keeping it going.

More worrying of course nowadays general capabilities once a lot of the population once had to have are no longer necessary.
Mental arithmetic is no longer necessary since calculators, then phones, now fancy checkouts.

Map reading no longer necessary.

Hell being able to type is going out since voice controls come in.

How about the drive (sorry for the pun) to remove physical drivers from our cars.

Over time cars won't have a manual gearshift so there goes that skill.
The till did work out the change, that was the whole gist of my post.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

There was also the further skill of selecting the correct coins from the till and passing to the customer!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Cobham wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:33 pm There was also the further skill of selecting the correct coins from the till and passing to the customer!
A bridge too far, in this case. :)
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Bucky wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:48 pm This site has the distinct vibe of old man yelling at clouds. Which is a pity. That's why Bucky has joined. Bucky's mission is to shake this place up and help GUBU become Ireland's leading discussion site. Bucky will return later with his hot take on the various burning topics. Stay logged in for updates. Exciting times ahead.
Good man Bucky, looking forward to reading your insights on various hot topics.
it's also nice to see illeism is still a thing and not just the domain of arrogant, self satisfying narcissists . . . Apelles wouldn't approve of such self-importance.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Apelles wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pm Good man Bucky, looking forward to reading your insights on various hot topics.
it's also nice to see illeism is still a thing and not just the domain of arrogant, self satisfying narcissists . . . Apelles wouldn't approve of such self-importance.
Almost surprised you would humour "Bucky's" transparent attempts at "encouraging" discourse on this platform. Another terminal bore with a penchant for bouncing IP addresses, nothing of value is to be sought with that bedsit occupant in environs of Galway.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Berties_Horse wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:12 pm Almost surprised you would humour "Bucky's" transparent attempts at "encouraging" discourse on this platform. Another terminal bore with a penchant for bouncing IP addresses, nothing of value is to be sought with that bedsit occupant in environs of Galway.
Bucky's hot take on your post. Bucky had not planned to post for a couple of days but felt the need to respond. Bucky is saddened by your post but he understands. Bucky suggests that you us the Foe function. That way you will not see any of Bucky's post. Which Bucky feels may be beneficial to you're piece of mind. Bucky offers this advice in the spirit of friendship and hopes it is received as such. Bucky bears you no ill will. Finally Bucky is aware of you who speak of with the Galway reference. Bucky would like to assure you he is not one of them. Bucky is not based in Galway and does not bounce any IP Addresses. Bucky is happy for you to verify that with the Admin.

This has been Bucky's hot take.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Bucky wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 pm Bucky's hot take on your post. Bucky had not planned to post for a couple of days but felt the need to respond. Bucky is saddened by your post but he understands. Bucky suggests that you us the Foe function. That way you will not see any of Bucky's post. Which Bucky feels may be beneficial to you're piece of mind. Bucky offers this advice in the spirit of friendship and hopes it is received as such. Bucky bears you no ill will. Finally Bucky is aware of you who speak of with the Galway reference. Bucky would like to assure you he is not one of them. Bucky is not based in Galway and does not bounce any IP Addresses. Bucky is happy for you to verify that with the Admin.

There is one "Bucky" I admire, and that's Bucky Pizzarelli - master of the seven string guitar. Otherwise your laboured attempts at third person jive evidently fall on deaf ears. You can verify your posterior in the process, ideally without third degree burns.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

This place is quiet because anything approximating a discussion of weighty subject matter results in a whole lot of unsubstantiated ‘facts’, repetitive blithering and links to ‘news’ articles which are read only by the easily led fools who engage in the former.

This place is quiet because some take themselves FAR too seriously and get their noses put out of joint over little to nothing, wearing a thin-skin instead of their big-boy-pants when they venture out onto the internet.

This place is quiet because it’s too small a user-base for us all to not rub each other up the wrong way. This place is quiet because the easily offended, the faux outraged and the boring trolls make poor companions if a robust and frank discussion are the goal.

This place is quiet because some won’t STFU with their sheiteposting and others have reached a point where they just can’t be bothered anymore.

This place is quiet because there’s SFA that will change that.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Bucky wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 pm Bucky's hot take on your post. Bucky had not planned to post for a couple of days but felt the need to respond. Bucky is saddened by your post but he understands. Bucky suggests that you us the Foe function. That way you will not see any of Bucky's post. Which Bucky feels may be beneficial to you're piece of mind. Bucky offers this advice in the spirit of friendship and hopes it is received as such. Bucky bears you no ill will. Finally Bucky is aware of you who speak of with the Galway reference. Bucky would like to assure you he is not one of them. Bucky is not based in Galway and does not bounce any IP Addresses. Bucky is happy for you to verify that with the Admin.

Bucky isn’t as clever, witty or entertaining as he likes to believe.

Bucky’s ‘hot take’ is more of an argument for auto-correct than anything else. A spelling and grammatical hot mess is more accurate.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Don't take any heed of them Bucky. All this unfounded finger pointing is enough to make ones blood boil. I for one can count on you to make Gubu great . . again welcome to Gubu. Come freely. Go safely, and leave something of the happiness you bring.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:58 pm Bucky isn’t as clever, witty or entertaining as he likes to believe.

Bucky’s ‘hot take’ is more of an argument for auto-correct than anything else. A spelling and grammatical hot mess is more accurate.
Is "piece of mind" from post no. 41 above, an example of this? :)
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Biggins wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 am Nail on the head with this post.

This place started out with great energy and promise. A place to have reasoned conversations and a laugh. But as always happens power corrupts and Il Duce, the gubunator let it go to his head and banned people left right and centre. Then you can't even mention planks without a slap on the wrist.

It's a terrible shame. Hopefully someone sets up a site that actually caters for the needs of the fine folk here.
What sort of forum would you like?
Discussion about over yonder isn't allowed because it was leading this site to a place where it's purpose was to give out about the big B.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Bucky's hot take is that despite Bucky's best efforts Gubu cannot be arrested from its terminal decline. Bucky feels that Gubu will be gone within the year. Bucky wishes you all the best. Goodbye.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

In my opinion it's quiet on Gubu simply because there aren't that many people here - I don't think it goes any deeper than that. Like there is quite a significant membership - fair play for that, it's good going for a small forum in a small country, when there are so many massive social media alternatives - but actual numbers present and engaging, that's a different matter. It's not a criticism at all (I'm not engaging much myself, although I do often pop in for a browse) just the reason for lack of activity, as I see it anyway. There have been lengthy discussions (and the Israel/Palestine and immigration threads seem to be tipping away consistently) but I guess all that's needed to be said has been said. If others are like me, there's "online discussion fatigue". My Twitter is quiet, my Instagram is only for pleasant pictures, and my Facebook is active but just for jokey, "nice" stuff, rarely serious. And I used to be a major online debater. Just not into that anymore.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Bucky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:37 pm Bucky's hot take is that despite Bucky's best efforts Gubu cannot be arrested from its terminal decline. Bucky feels that Gubu will be gone within the year. Bucky wishes you all the best. Goodbye.
Gone and already forgotten. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'