Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

A pity that this place is so quiet

The burning issues of the day
John

A pity that this place is so quiet

Post by John »

I know that forums and message boards are very old fashioned in 2024 and nobody under 35 uses them but it's a pity that this place is such a ghost town, it seems a lot more friendly than the "other place" indeed it would probably be busier here if we were allowed mock the "other place" but it's understandable why that isn't allowed as it would be like always talking about an ex to ones new partner so to speak.
Quato

Re: A pity that this place is so quiet

Post by Quato »

Sorry- what is "the other place"?
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

Quato wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:05 pm Sorry- what is "the other place"?

So obvious from "both" of you. :mrgreen:
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

John wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:22 am I know that forums and message boards are very old fashioned in 2024 and nobody under 35 uses them but it's a pity that this place is such a ghost town, it seems a lot more friendly than the "other place" indeed it would probably be busier here if we were allowed mock the "other place" but it's understandable why that isn't allowed as it would be like always talking about an ex to ones new partner so to speak.
No doubt it would be busier if you could mock the other place. But that's just pointless noise.
Quato

Post by Quato »

Seriously- I don't have a clue what the "other place" is.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Quato wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 pm Seriously- I don't have a clue what the "other place" is.
That’s the idea.
John

Post by John »

Quato wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 pm Seriously- I don't have a clue what the "other place" is.
www.P45.net 😉
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

John wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:22 am I know that forums and message boards are very old fashioned in 2024 and nobody under 35 uses them but it's a pity that this place is such a ghost town, it seems a lot more friendly than the "other place" indeed it would probably be busier here if we were allowed mock the "other place" but it's understandable why that isn't allowed as it would be like always talking about an ex to ones new partner so to speak.
This place began to stagnate once Guburnor tried to consolidate influence by replicating the beastly playbook of stifled discourse. An honourable experiment that has begun to haemorrhage residents, unless there is liberal expression (within reason) then posters will turn elsewhere. As an aside, somewhat gratifying that I can trigger dormant accounts out of hibernation (replicants of banned usernames from other platforms) such is the affect I wield over them. Less inclined to contribute these days, and won't lose sleep if my privileges are curtailed.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Guburnor's light touch moderation was abused by quite a number of posters and he gave them more than enough chances. If anything has driven people away, it is the negative, abusive posting by some of those posters. Others came, signed up but were not prepared to make the effort to make the forum work or perhaps they have nothing to say. The other place is also dying but from a higher base and it is still a toxic spot. As someone who has been responsible for almost 10% of all posts on GUBU and now staggering towards 5,000 posts I too am reassessing my future here - 5,000 and out? :cry:
'no more blah blah blah'
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

Berties_Horse wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:12 am This place began to stagnate once Guburnor tried to consolidate influence by replicating the beastly playbook of stifled discourse. An honourable experiment that has begun to haemorrhage residents, unless there is liberal expression (within reason) then posters will turn elsewhere. As an aside, somewhat gratifying that I can trigger dormant accounts out of hibernation (replicants of banned usernames from other platforms) such is the affect I wield over them. Less inclined to contribute these days, and won't lose sleep if my privileges are curtailed.
Nail on the head with this post.

This place started out with great energy and promise. A place to have reasoned conversations and a laugh. But as always happens power corrupts and Il Duce, the gubunator let it go to his head and banned people left right and centre. Then you can't even mention planks without a slap on the wrist.

It's a terrible shame. Hopefully someone sets up a site that actually caters for the needs of the fine folk here.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 am Guburnor's light touch moderation was abused by quite a number of posters and he gave them more than enough chances. If anything has driven people away, it is the negative, abusive posting by some of those posters. Others came, signed up but were not prepared to make the effort to make the forum work or perhaps they have nothing to say. The other place is also dying but from a higher base and it is still a toxic spot. As someone who has been responsible for almost 10% of all posts on GUBU and now staggering towards 5,000 posts I too am reassessing my future here - 5,000 and out? :cry:
Totally agree.

Many first time posters made it a quest to constantly rabbit on about " the other place", and then go on to abuse members on the other place. Instead of increasing topics for debate here on this place. In all fairness Guburnor had the patience of a saint when it came to some posters who just would not take direction on the correct way to act here with respect to all other members here. I myself have not posted here as often purely for the reason of being wrapped up in the happy event of my son winning his Emmy . Along with working on 2 cars for getting ready for an nct in the same week.....I have just been too busy.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Biggins wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 am Nail on the head with this post.

This place started out with great energy and promise. A place to have reasoned conversations and a laugh. But as always happens power corrupts and Il Duce, the gubunator let it go to his head and banned people left right and centre. Then you can't even mention planks without a slap on the wrist.

It's a terrible shame. Hopefully someone sets up a site that actually caters for the needs of the fine folk here.
Thats a complete joke to be fair, that Guburnor let it go to his head. I am still laughing. The man has run this site with a very loose grip on the moderating end of the banning hammer. Go back and read some of the threads where posters were constantly trying to push the boundaries on how much abuse they could throw around to other posters, and totally ignore any warnings hinted at them.
If those same posters had put more effort into building this site with additional topics to discuss, it would make more sense.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Biggins wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 am Nail on the head with this post.

Says the poster who has managed 31 posts since joining in September 2021 - almost all of which were either attacking the moderation here or the other place. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

Guburnor, what a cool title.
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

Should have posted more , will post more.

The moderator is good. People actually kept needling and needling until they could play the victim card.

An idiot will always try beat you down with his stick to their level. Go to telegram channels if want an unmoderated echo chamber , plenty of them around.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

kadman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:41 am Totally agree.

Many first time posters made it a quest to constantly rabbit on about " the other place", and then go on to abuse members on the other place. Instead of increasing topics for debate here on this place. In all fairness Guburnor had the patience of a saint when it came to some posters who just would not take direction on the correct way to act here with respect to all other members here. I myself have not posted here as often purely for the reason of being wrapped up in the happy event of my son winning his Emmy . Along with working on 2 cars for getting ready for an nct in the same week.....I have just been too busy.
Wo... back up there. Your son won an Emmy?!
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

Isn't there a thread on that called Emmy
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

mrmercedes wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:01 pm Isn't there a thread on that called Emmy
There sure is, and its been on the news and media all over the place. Its a proud moment for us all. he was honoured along with the prostethics team for all their hard work in The Last Of Us.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&on ... ws&force=1
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 23-58-15 Irish prosthetic makeup artist Johnny Murphy wins Creative Emmy The Irish Film & Television Network.png
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 23-58-15 Irish prosthetic makeup artist Johnny Murphy wins Creative Emmy The Irish Film & Television Network.png (282.8 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

Amazing achievement.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Great achievement and all.

But the one that keeps cropping into to mind from that picture is the last time someone from Westmeath wore a suit like that his name was Joe.
And there was only one Joe.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

jmayo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:07 am Great achievement and all.

But the one that keeps cropping into to mind from that picture is the last time someone from Westmeath wore a suit like that his name was Joe.
And there was only one Joe.
Well if thats the only thing you have to say about the post, it says loads about your input on it.Go off and be negative on another thread will ya.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

I'm going to revise my initial judgement, in the fullness of time this platform is infinitely more democratic than planks. There have been minor disagreements with the administrator and sanctions that were self-inflicted, ultimately he is to be regarded as a positive force and long may this site thrive.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

kadman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:41 am Well if thats the only thing you have to say about the post, it says loads about your input on it.Go off and be negative on another thread will ya.
Now I see why Westmeath is not known for comedians.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

jmayo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am Now I see why Westmeath is not known for comedians.
Your post had a closer association with an insult than it did to a comical quip. Lets just leave it at that