Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Nitrogen Execution

The burning issues of the day
mrmercedes

Nitrogen Execution

Post by mrmercedes »

https://apnews.com/article/nitrogen-exe ... afb7032900

This is an interesting read..who would think killing people would be so difficult.

They have those clinics in Switzerland etc so don't get why America has such a problem executing the death penalty.
The actual case as per the story of how he got the death penalty is interesting.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Nitrogen Execution

Post by Del.Monte »

mrmercedes wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 pm https://apnews.com/article/nitrogen-exe ... afb7032900

This is an interesting read..who would think killing people would be so difficult.

They have those clinics in Switzerland etc so don't get why America has such a problem executing the death penalty.
The actual case as per the story of how he got the death penalty is interesting.
Can't say that he was any loss to humanity but there has to be a more humane/less messy way of killing the condemned. Firing squad?
'no more blah blah blah'
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

Firing squad they dont like as it doesn't always go very well , and the issue of someone actually pulling the trigger etc etc .

If Dignitas can do it though I don't get the issue , can they not slip them a drink.

Here's your last meal and a glass of water to wash it down.
Get them to drink the water first and then eat their last meal after they pop their cloggs. nice steak dinner for executioner 😁
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Inhuman treatment is an understatement along with experimentation method of taking life, it borders on torturous.
John

Post by John »

It's a strange world, isn't it ? If that guy had done that crime in Ireland or most other Westen countries, he'd have been released from prison about 20 years ago.
John

Post by John »

The only person I've ever thought who should probably get the death penalty is Gerard Barry from Galway city but even then after thinking about it more, I reckon spending 65 years in prison is a better punishment
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

John wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:43 pm The only person I've ever thought who should probably get the death penalty is Gerard Barry from Galway city but even then after thinking about it more, I reckon spending 65 years in prison is a better punishment
Costs up to €100,000 p.a. to keep a high-security prisoner. Chinese have the best idea, a bullet in the back of the head, and you or your family pays for the bullet.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

John wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:43 pm The only person I've ever thought who should probably get the death penalty is Gerard Barry from Galway city but even then after thinking about it more, I reckon spending 65 years in prison is a better punishment
What about the gent in Sligo with the penchant for beheading gay men ?

Then we have the psychopath Thomas Murray that killed two elderly people 17/18 years apart in Galway and possibly killed a female taxi driver.

Then we have that prick Brian Hennessy who raped and murdered a mother and her two little girls on Christmas eve.

Then we have double rapist double murderer Michael Murphy in Louth.

If you ask me we have a long line that no one would miss.

Hanging the fookers off a lamppost is too good for them.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

No hanging in US since 1996 and unlikely to be again seeing as only New Hampshire offer it now (secondary method only)
No firing squad since 2010
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

Hanging was never a great way , didn't work sometimes.

The guillotine seemed like a full proof method once the axe was sharp , head cut off no squirming.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

mrmercedes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:01 pm Hanging was never a great way , didn't work sometimes.

The guillotine seemed like a full proof method once the axe was sharp , head cut off no squirming.
There's a good report from prosecutor Monique Mabelly an eyewitness from France's last guillotining. Hamida Djandoubi at Marseilles, September 1977.

"This man is going to die, he knows it; he knows that he can do nothing but delay the end by a few minutes. And he became almost like a child that will do anything to delay bedtime."

https://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com/2 ... -last.html
Scroll down a bit
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Do the Russians still do the old shot to the back of the head?

That was way the Soviets killed all the Polish officers after they captured them in 1939.
I always find it marvellous how come the Soviets got away with invading Poland as an ally of Germany.
And how they did the same with Finland.
And then get to keep that land they grabbed in 39/40 at the end of the war.

Sorry going off on tangent here.

There is lot to be said for shot to the back of the head.
Of course you do need a kind of sociopath for the job as otherwise they get squeamish over time.
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:02 pm There's a good report from prosecutor Monique Mabelly an eyewitness from France's last guillotining. Hamida Djandoubi at Marseilles, September 1977.

"This man is going to die, he knows it; he knows that he can do nothing but delay the end by a few minutes. And he became almost like a child that will do anything to delay bedtime."

https://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com/2 ... -last.html
Scroll down a bit
This was a good read.
Done the job though ,head in a basket.1977 , never knew they used it up to that point
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

mrmercedes wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:53 pm This was a good read.
Done the job though ,head in a basket.1977 , never knew they used it up to that point
A few more got the death sentence afterwards but all were commuted when Mitterand got rid of it in 1981.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

mrmercedes wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 pm https://apnews.com/article/nitrogen-exe ... afb7032900

Killing people isn't that hard, but killing people in the USofA is tricky because ... we Europeans won't let them. :twisted:

Seriously, it's the EU wot done it. Several years ago, the EU decided that it could not support the barbaric practices of a country with a legal system of dubious integrity and blocked the export of the necessary drugs to the US. At which point the US realised (realized?) that they were entirely dependent on EU (and Swiss) manufacturers for same.

When they tried to ramp up domestic production, "powerful interests" quietly whispered to BigPharmaHealthcare that maybe their stock price wouldn't do so well if their name was reguarly and intimately linked to the Death Penalty, so being good freemarket capitalists, they unanmiously agreed that they'd stick to selling the kinds of drugs that kept unhealthy overweight 'Mericans alive instead.

Voilà: if you want to ease yourself into the afterlife, you need to be align yourself with European values rather than "Second Amendment" rights or Blue Passport Sovreignty. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out across the water in the coming years, seeing as the infamous Roe v. Wade saga has revealed itself to be a Pandora's box for the MAGA crowd and their Biblical Fundamentalist judiciary.
Adso_of_Melk

Post by Adso_of_Melk »

They seem to be complaining about Nitrogen as a painful way to die, I would have thought it was just like getting drowsy and drifting off to sleep ..
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Adso_of_Melk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:32 pm They seem to be complaining about Nitrogen as a painful way to die, I would have thought it was just like getting drowsy and drifting off to sleep ..
That’s what I always thought. Maybe it was to be done slowly for this effect. The observers reported seeing Smith writhing and struggling for minutes.