Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Yes/Yes campaign and misinformation

The burning issues of the day
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: Yes/Yes campaign and misinformation

Post by schmittel »

jmayo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:45 pm And the journal beloved of all woke and hip have confirmed it.

I suppose if Gript had run with it they would claim it was misinformation.

If it does pass then I could forsee a judicial challenge based on the the government

Wasn't the electoral commission meant to ensure we had all the facts?

I see they only mentioned disinformation and misinformation.
Nothing about lack of information.
how convenient.
Maybe we could consider it manipulate behaviour ?

Then again minister Martin can be done for misinformation.
Rather than any judicial challenge against a yes vote, I think what's more likely to happen is that the result will be NO/NO, and instead of an admission of how they ballsed up an open goal, the government will deflect and blame mis/disinformation from the far right.

The fact that ministers lied about the AG's legal advice will somehow not be covered by the definition mis/disinformation.

Personally I don't really understand the difference between mis and disinformation, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard either term applied to the spin and lies peddled by politicians. I'm not holding my breath that this is likely to change any time soon.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Actually it now looks like being NO/NO by such a resounding margin that it would be totally ridiculous to blame the result being swung by disinformation from the far right.

Time to get out the popcorn.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Shure, can't we keep on re-running the referendum until the political elite get the result that they want? How many patients could have been taken off trolleys with the money wasted on this nonsense...
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 6234567 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:03 pm Shure, can't we keep on re-running the referendum until the political elite get the result that they want? How many patients could have been taken off trolleys with the money wasted on this nonsense...
I saw an estimate of 23 million to run this referendum.
The amount of good work that sum would pay for is genuinely sad.

Going forward, I've no doubt that these attacks on the Irish people will continue.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

schmittel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:17 pm Actually it now looks like being NO/NO by such a resounding margin that it would be totally ridiculous to blame the result being swung by disinformation from the far right.

Time to get out the popcorn.
I'm sure they'll try anyway :geek:
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I can't wait for all the anti Sinn Fein stuff the media are going to run tomorrow
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:24 pm I can't wait for all the anti Sinn Fein stuff the media are going to run tomorrow
Well it's hard to justify recommending a yes vote and then, in the aftermath, arguing that you really didn't think it was a good idea in the first place.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 pm Well it's hard to justify recommending a yes vote and then, in the aftermath, arguing that you really didn't think it was a good idea in the first place.
Nope, talk of the referendum will be avoided, there will be some other but but Sinn Fein distraction. I think Joe public has finally wokjen up to this government, an election cannot come soon enough, Leo is finished
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:02 pm Nope, talk of the referendum will be avoided, there will be some other but but Sinn Fein distraction. I think Joe public has finally wokjen up to this government, an election cannot come soon enough, Leo is finished
Why would it be different to any other day then? Government criticises the opposition and the opposition does likewise. What SF will have to explain is why the amendment to the constitution they recommended was defeated by a factor of almost 3 to 1 in areas that would be seen to be SF hunting ground.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:13 pm Why would it be different to any other day then? Government criticises the opposition and the opposition does likewise. What SF will have to explain is why the amendment to the constitution they recommended was defeated by a factor of almost 3 to 1 in areas that would be seen to be SF hunting ground.
But why focus on SF? These clowns in government have no mandate and have lost the trust of the electorate. We want an election! Leo should be on his way to the Aras!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:25 am But why focus on SF? These clowns in government have no mandate and have lost the trust of the electorate. We want an election! Leo should be on his way to the Aras!
SF are the major opposition party, SF are the "new beginning", SF have all the answers, so why wouldn't the government focus on them. If you want to be the big boys in class, you have to fight your own battles.
My point is that SF have more to worry about in their own constituency after the referendum result.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Sinn Fein the 'new' Civil War party will lead us to the promised land. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am Sinn Fein the 'new' Civil War party will lead us to the promised land. :roll:
Not sure if SF will have all the answers but a break from the revolving FF/FG cycle we've had for 100 years will be nice. Hopefully we get some new parties after
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

First signs that Ireland is rejecting the woke and it’s fantastic to see.

Post by 6234567 »

With Sinn Fein, people are finally realising that they are not a nationalist party for the Irish people.
Shocking to me that people actually thought they were that in the first place.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Minister of state Mary Butler thinks it's a scandal that the AG's advice to the Minister on the wording of the referendum was leaked. Just goes to show the contempt in which these lowlifes hold the public. God forbid we should have the full facts.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:24 pm Not sure if SF will have all the answers but a break from the revolving FF/FG cycle we've had for 100 years will be nice. Hopefully we get some new parties after
SF have no fooking answers.
They never had.

There is now a joke about their immigration policy.
"Brits Out, Everyone Else IN"

That was fired out at meeting in Ballyshannon sometime back and the audience all started laughing in the faces of the shinners.
Made for brilliant viewing of them having to stand there and stomach the truth for once.
There was nowhere to hide.

They have been conspicuous in their absence at 99% of these protests.
Nothing, nowhere to be seen.
Do you think the people are going to forget about that?

Post by 6234567 »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:56 pm First signs that Ireland is rejecting the woke and it’s fantastic to see.
Hopefully this is just the start.
Heaven forbid we actually start backing ourselves.
Beatty

Post by Beatty »

The eu migration pact impacts family reunification rules.
Subverts the vote.

Family reunification will be strengthened by enlarging the definition of family members to include siblings and families formed in transit countries.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... da_20_1707
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:56 pm First signs that Ireland is rejecting the woke and it’s fantastic to see.
Actually interesting today on O'Connor's radio program even O'Connor sounded more level headed than ever before.

Of course that gimp Mick Clifford from Irish Examiner was telling us only some miniscule figure like 0.05% of people are asylum seekers or IPAs.
Of course all immigrants are great, the far right this that and the other.
We of course need hate speech as we have no legislation to protect foreign bus drivers from being abused.
Yada yada yada.

What is it with members of our media?

At least Dan O'Brien and one other mentioned how for so long we couldn't dicuss the changes due to immigration and how we have around 250,000 immigrants since early 2000s and there are so many changes.

Some lady of course mentioned it was all about housing hinting that we could take the world in if we could house them.

Refreshing that there was at least a conversation, bar that fooking gimp Clifford, rather than what we got previously with it just shut down with labels of far right and racism.

The tide is a changing.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

jmayo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:52 pm Actually interesting today on O'Connor's radio program even O'Connor sounded more level headed than ever before.

Of course that gimp Mick Clifford from Irish Examiner was telling us only some miniscule figure like 0.05% of people are asylum seekers or IPAs.
Of course all immigrants are great, the far right this that and the other.
We of course need hate speech as we have no legislation to protect foreign bus drivers from being abused.
Yada yada yada.

What is it with members of our media?

At least Dan O'Brien and one other mentioned how for so long we couldn't dicuss the changes due to immigration and how we have around 250,000 immigrants since early 2000s and there are so many changes.

Some lady of course mentioned it was all about housing hinting that we could take the world in if we could house them.

Refreshing that there was at least a conversation, bar that fooking gimp Clifford, rather than what we got previously with it just shut down with labels of far right and racism.

The tide is a changing.

What's not changing is that mainstream media is owned by Government or friends of Government. There is no way that the Irish people will ever get the truth in the news while that is the case. Gobshites like McEntee are allowed to get away with lies and doublespeak without ever being pulled up or taken to task.
When the reform of the Senate wording was presented for referendum, hardly a whisper was raised when it bore no resemblance to what the people were led to believe would be included, i.e. a directly elected chamber. The Senate today is basically what it always was, a toothless talking shop, filled with failed TDs and party suckers-up, with the ridiculous situation of University graduates being the only members of the public with any say.
At the next GE, we need not only to remove these fcukers, we need to humiliate them.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Oh they really need a kicking.
Something though I have noticed on some other forums (won't mention names) is how the main parties, FG I reckon in particular, have upped the posters coming out to bat for them.
And they have a multi pronged approach.
One being to play it that things like immigration is not high on agenda at all, so only right wing loons will be voting for Herman Kelly, Peadar Toibin, etc.
Then when Toibin is mentioned the right wing catholicism is dragged in and fact that referendum was nearly abberation and down to so many factors, as if it had nothing to do with them.

Another is to play it as if independents would lead to disarray, so the only course of action is to vote for the old parties to keep stability and more importantly keep SF out of power.
Another strand of this of course is to keep playing it how dangerous SF would be.

I think they are worried, especially FG, but they are actively trying to set out to make people believe they aren't and that they will win all these seats as usual as if nothing has happened over last 5 years.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

jmayo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:30 pm Oh they really need a kicking.
Something though I have noticed on some other forums (won't mention names) is how the main parties, FG I reckon in particular, have upped the posters coming out to bat for them.
And they have a multi pronged approach.
One being to play it that things like immigration is not high on agenda at all, so only right wing loons will be voting for Herman Kelly, Peadar Toibin, etc.
Then when Toibin is mentioned the right wing catholicism is dragged in and fact that referendum was nearly abberation and down to so many factors, as if it had nothing to do with them.

Another is to play it as if independents would lead to disarray, so the only course of action is to vote for the old parties to keep stability and more importantly keep SF out of power.
Another strand of this of course is to keep playing it how dangerous SF would be.

I think they are worried, especially FG, but they are actively trying to set out to make people believe they aren't and that they will win all these seats as usual as if nothing has happened over last 5 years.
Well, one of those platforms had the ultra Blueshirt Hugh O'Connell as their editor for years, he is now plying his trade with INN, so expect unbiased comment from there too. All these platforms have some sort of political support behind them, maybe not at the outset, but as they became popular and established. No political party worth its salt would pass up the opportunity to sow its seed in such fruitful soil.