Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Yes/Yes campaign and misinformation

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Yes/Yes campaign and misinformation

Post by knownunknown »

BrianD3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:49 pm What's behind this "women's place in the home" misrepresentation? Has the government been advised that there are legal issues coming down the line with a worsening housing crisis and mothers being forced, even more so than before, to take up paid employment for economic reasons.

Or is it just some of desperate virtue signalling exercise - we're so progressive, we're removing "women's place is in the home" from the constitution and finally freeing ourselves from Dev and Archbishop McQuaid. And supporting (well, striving to support) carers at the same time, aren't we great. Now vote for us in the next election.
A little bit of both I suspect, an outcome of the unholy alliance in recent times between big business and the left.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

BrianD3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:49 pm What's behind this "women's place in the home" misrepresentation? Has the government been advised that there are legal issues coming down the line with a worsening housing crisis and mothers being forced, even more so than before, to take up paid employment for economic reasons.

Or is it just some of desperate virtue signalling exercise - we're so progressive, we're removing "women's place is in the home" from the constitution and finally freeing ourselves from Dev and Archbishop McQuaid. And supporting (well, striving to support) carers at the same time, aren't we great. Now vote for us in the next election.
Wokes and feminists. They just take exception to anything they suspect is pigeon-holing them, regardless of whether it's a good or bad thing. Not capable of lateral thinking.
Link

Post by Link »

marhay70 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:26 pm Wokes and feminists. They just take exception to anything they suspect is pigeon-holing them, regardless of whether it's a good or bad thing. Not capable of lateral thinking.
Wokes and feminists won't be reproducing so there's some hope :lol:

Let them live in fecking clown world!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

This pretty shocking in my opinion. Whatever your opinions on gript, they are members of the Press Council of Ireland, and the journalist is an accredited journalist attending the press conference in a professional capacity.

It certainly looks like this was a preplanned move by Varadkar, and Martin happily fell in behind it. Eamonn Ryan manages to look a bit foolish and awkward, but in fairness to him that situation has arisen because you can see how uncomfortable he is with the idea of three government leaders totally ignoring a journalist in a press conference.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Do we really expect anything better from Varadkar, I know we deserve to, but do we? He has usurped the highest Government office for too long on the strength of a few thousand votes which returned him to the Dáil by the skin of his teeth.
I don't know much about Gript, except for it being a sort of radical news platform but from what I know it's exactly the sort of platform that people need to hear from and politicians don't. A bundled Ian Hislop, if you like, and the UK politicians certainly don't like to see him in the room.
Still, even if we don't expect much in the way of statesmanship from Varadkar, you'd think his Mammy would have taught him manners.
The fellow journalists in the room should not let this slight pass, it could be them tomorrow. It's reminiscent of Trump and the CNN reporter.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

According to John McGuirk, Scallan repeatedly tried to ask a question during the press conference but was ignored by the facilitator. It seems as though the conference was then coming to an end and Scallan thought he had an opportunity to ask his question without the conference microphone. This will have given Varadkar an excuse to walk off. Predictably, useful idiot wokes (the types who refer to Gript as Grift no matter how factual their articles are) are supporting Varadkar while conveniently overlooking that Scallan had been ignored during the conference.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Just had a quick read up on Gript and its founder John McGuirk. Not pleasant reading for someone like me, particularly his association with the Irish Catholic. That being said, it doesn't excuse Varadkar's actions which were just plain rude and did nothing to enhance the office of Taoiseach.
Suffice it to say, however, I won't be subscribing to Gript unless it unloads some baggage.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

That video gives you some idea of what the government thinks of you if you want to stray form the narrative. These ignorant bastards were voted in by the people, and they should just as easy be voted out. Its totally disrespectful what Leo did to someone who was asking a question. Not good enough.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 pm That video gives you some idea of what the government thinks of you if you want to stray form the narrative. These ignorant bastards were voted in by the people, and they should just as easy be voted out. Its totally disrespectful what Leo did to someone who was asking a question. Not good enough.
I didn't need the video to show me what they think, I see it every time I visit a hospital or a GP surgery. I see it in the people(the lucky ones) living in cars, doorways, and boxes. I see it in my daughter and her husband, both in good jobs but living in an apartment surrounded by junkies and dealers, never knowing when something might turn nasty and unable to afford to get to fcuk out.
Unfortunately, I have never in my life voted FF, FG, or Greens so my not voting for them is not going to make a tosser difference.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 pm That video gives you some idea of what the government thinks of you if you want to stray form the narrative. These ignorant bastards were voted in by the people, and they should just as easy be voted out. Its totally disrespectful what Leo did to someone who was asking a question. Not good enough.
Irrespective of the source, Leo & company are not above the fray. The sheer arrogance of the walk-off, which was clearly orchestrated. At least Ryan had the self-awareness to look embarrassed even if it was affected. If these chancers are so delicate they cannot front up to tough questions, speaks volumes of their untouchable mentality. The reckoning is near, the ballot box will instill humility after their political careers are brought to an immediate halt. And belated "I'm in awful need of a vote" beggary amounting to nought.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

Berties_Horse wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:41 am End of the day, and Guburnor can boot me off this platform - Holohan was the lowest form of vermin during Covid madness. Imagine an unelected defacto dictator neatly sidestepping responsibility in February 2022 after instilling irrational fear in the populace. Lost two friends to suicide in quick succession, yet King Tony abdicates all responsibility courtesy of high level contacts. An embarrassing shitstain on our state, however one must grovel in subservient fashion. Holohan will eventually be brought to reckoning, and not a moment too soon. Imagine condescending to the Irish public for 18 months and gaining €400,000 p/a in the process. Utter swine. Anticipating 'WokeHogan' and his "why don't you kill yourself" palaver, unique talent for drawing petty trolls out of hibernation. Ultimately I own them.
I hope you're not this moody every evening when you're watching Nationwide with Mammy.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Personally I cant see any reckoning on the cards for these guys with their noses deep in the trough. If the people had been awake over the last few decades, and were actually aware of what was going on, then they would have dealt with them at the ballot boxes many years ago, but they haven't, they have just replaced them with another group of ministers looking for their government pension allowance to be stamped for more feeding at the trough. But the same political ideologies at play, rinse and repeat and so it continues.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

WokeHogan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:02 pm I hope you're not this moody every evening when you're watching Nationwide with Mammy.
Somethings certainly got your back up, spit it out and be done with it, this attempt at trolling is getting boring
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:52 pm Somethings certainly got your back up, spit it out and be done with it, this attempt at trolling is getting boring
Well what did get my back up was that poster coming out of nowhere to post bile and vitriol in my direction, apropos of nothing.

Mr Nice Guy Bertie's Horse once again is having a go at me, Tony Holohan, and whomever else he feels like spewing his poorly written poison at.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:14 pm Personally I cant see any reckoning on the cards for these guys with their noses deep in the trough. If the people had been awake over the last few decades, and were actually aware of what was going on, then they would have dealt with them at the ballot boxes many years ago, but they haven't, they have just replaced them with another group of ministers looking for their government pension allowance to be stamped for more feeding at the trough. But the same political ideologies at play, rinse and repeat and so it continues.
Oh I don't know.

There is only so much shyte you can shovel on people, even Irish people, before there is a backlash.

I thought SF, even with their nonsense economic policies and the whiff of the provos, would romp home in next general election, but their abandonment of a lot of their core voters in preference for their open borders folks will cost them.
And rightly so.

Independents are going to win big, as a lot of people no longer trust any of the political parties.

But the big seismic change is going to be the general election after next.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

jmayo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:02 pm Oh I don't know.

There is only so much shyte you can shovel on people, even Irish people, before there is a backlash.

I thought SF, even with their nonsense economic policies and the whiff of the provos, would romp home in next general election, but their abandonment of a lot of their core voters in preference for their open borders folks will cost them.
And rightly so.

Independents are going to win big, as a lot of people no longer trust any of the political parties.

But the big seismic change is going to be the general election after next.
Bucky's hot take is to ask jmayo if they have the lotto numbers for this weekend. As they clearly seem possessed of an extraordinary clairvoyance that has Bucky is awe.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:52 pm Somethings certainly got your back up, spit it out and be done with it, this attempt at trolling is getting boring
This is all that swine knows, make callous remarks about suicide notes and claim victimhood. Exercise in futility engaging pondlife, my comments stand and there will be no concessions made. Including lunatics that refer themselves in the third person.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Can everybody please remember not to be a dick? thanks.
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

Berties_Horse wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:14 pm This is all that swine knows, make callous remarks about suicide notes and claim victimhood. Exercise in futility engaging pondlife, my comments stand and there will be no concessions made. Including lunatics that refer themselves in the third person.
Don't give that guy the time of day. He is a petty vindictive loser who will always go for the low blows. Mocking suicide. Real classy stuff.
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

Who's mocking suicide?
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

Biggins wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:18 pm I'll be voting yes. The state of the care sector aside, placing women at the centre of the home is sexist.

I'm afraid I can't agree with that tirade against Tony Holohan. A man who made a huge personal sacrifice when the country needed him. I found him very reassuring during those dark days. He even continued after his wife passed away (RIP). The lack of excess mortality we suffered especially compared to other countries speaks for itself.
Agreed. Can't understand such vitriol towards Holohan at all.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Fugue wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:08 pm Agreed. Can't understand such vitriol towards Holohan at all.
We went from flattening the curve when we knew the least about the virus at the beginning (sensible approach) with more regard for trade then for lives
Asked about closing Ireland’s sea and airports to foreign visitors, Dr Holohan said that such a move was unlikely, as it may have a negative impact the supply chain or on healthcare workers.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30991398.html
To preventing as many deaths as possible, seemingly no strategy at all, when we knew a lot more.
” There were more than 1,500 Covid deaths in January 2021. It was the single worst month for deaths over the entire course of the pandemic. This was at a time when we knew how to control the spread of the virus, but we failed to do so as a country. Many of the people who died were probably not far away from the point at which they could have been offered the protection of vaccination."
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 86459.html
It’s understandable how this can be brought up in this thread as it’s the government talking out of their own arses again.
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

WokeHogan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:11 am Who's mocking suicide?
You, you snivelling toad. You made a remark on another thread about something being as coherent as a suicide note. Shame on you.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Guburnor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:54 pm Can everybody please remember not to be a dick? thanks.
Can everybody please remember not to be a dick? thanks.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Fugue wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:08 pm Agreed. Can't understand such vitriol towards Holohan at all.
Let's not forget as CMO Holohan stood over a decision to withold smear test results as part of the cervical check scandal. Women died, lives were ruined