Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Longer pub and club opening hours

The burning issues of the day
Norman Breaks

Longer pub and club opening hours

Post by Norman Breaks »

I for one welcome this change.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/1 ... -politics/

As it's states in the article, the current laws are out of date. As long as this is done correctly it can add a great deal to the cities of Ireland.
PogMoThoin22

Re: Longer pub and club opening hours

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:30 pm I for one welcome this change.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/1 ... -politics/

As it's states in the article, the current laws are out of date. As long as this is done correctly it can add a great deal to the cities of Ireland.
I lived in Holland in the 90s, people went out and went home when they wanted. Some went out early and home early. No rush for the last few drinks before the bar closed. No flocks of people leaving at the same time for a limited amount of taxi's which led to less public disorder. Of course we stayed out all night but it worked.
Arthur Cocks

Post by Arthur Cocks »

Society is changing and people are more health conscious. The era of a load of men heading down to the local to drink pints while the family is at home is over. I can see more pubs closing earlier tbh.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:40 pm I lived in Holland in the 90s, people went out and went home when they wanted. Some went out early and home early. No rush for the last few drinks before the bar closed. No flocks of people leaving at the same time for a limited amount of taxi's which led to less public disorder. Of course we stayed out all night but it worked.
Correct, lived abroad for several years and social disorder was conspicuously absent because of staggered closing hours. Funnel Paddy out into the street en masse at 2.30am, fights inevitably break out and local chipper as ground zero. Long overdue Ireland adopted these progressive measures, belated sign of a mature democracy.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

24 hour licences should be available with all the usual provisos, such as noise, nuisance, etc and the necessary enforcement thereof. Publicans will be the first to recognise when there is little demand, they won't be paying staff to stand around twiddling their thumbs. The new hours only change the time of the last rush and then everybody will pile into the nightclubs, so no change there.
One things for sure, it'll do little to cure binge drinking or underage drinking.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Licences can only be granted by the courts ...
That's an awful waste of court resources, there's no good reason why the courts should be involved in granting licences for anything.

I couldn't quite get my head around the process here in France when I first came across it: want to serve drink at your event? Here - fill in this form stating when and where you're setting up your bar and drop it in to the local mairie; if the gendarmes don't raise any objections within 30 days you're good to go (keep the booze under 15% won't you). All very civilised, and it does wonders for the brewers of craft beer who can get their product into the throats of pretty much any demographic they want.

Post by 6234567 »

Vintners and and the failed hoteliers must be an influential lobby group.

They should trial it first.
I'm not overly confident that this would be beneficial for Ireland.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

I have long believed that licenced premises should be allowed to open for 12 hours in every 24 hours, with their opening hours prominently displayed outside the premises.

That would provide each owner with the opportunity to trade during the hours they wished and not have their trading hours determined for them.
There would then be a variety of premises catering to different segments of society, by opening at their chosen time.
In any city there would be 24 hour trading, just not from any one premises.