Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Varadkar steps down

The burning issues of the day
Fratello
Verified Username

Varadkar to step down as Taoiseach and Fine Gael leader

Post by Fratello »

Varadkar to step down as Taoiseach and Fine Gael leader

Who will replace him I wonder?
marhay70

Varadkar steps down

Post by marhay70 »

Varadkar to step down as Taoiseach

Well I suppose we're due some good news, unfortunately not before the arsehole has done the damage. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/03 ... ouncement/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Varadkar steps down

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:26 pm
Nail on the head, hypocrites the lot of them. So where are we going to get the next batch of clowns to follow this circus? I suppose Coveney is a shoe in to replace Varadkar but I can't see the government lasting too long after this.
Norman Breaks

Re: Varadkar to step down as Taoiseach and Fine Gael leader

Post by Norman Breaks »

He wasn't the worst Taoiseach in memory. Low bar in fairness.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Lying two faced disingenuous gobshyte leaves job after making a right balls out of it.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Good riddance. At least with Kenny -he had a few good moments, this guy I don’t remember any good moment.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:51 pm Good riddance. At least with Kenny -he had a few good moments, this guy I don’t remember any good moment.
Gob bless your memory, I'm fcuked if I can remember any of Kenny's good moments, except perhaps, the day he walked out of Dáil Eireann for the last time. Another arsewipe FG Taoiseach to go with Varadkar and anybody named Cosgrave.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:07 pm Gob bless your memory, I'm fcuked if I can remember any of Kenny's good moments, except perhaps, the day he walked out of Dáil Eireann for the last time. Another arsewipe FG Taoiseach to go with Varadkar and anybody named Cosgrave.
Kenny stood up in the Dail and laid out the divide between state and catholic church, something that pi***ed off Rome no end.
And the first ever a leader of this country that did so.

He also rehabilitated us with fellow EU countries that his predecessors had mightily pi***ed off.
And we really needed them come Brexit.

Yeah yeah we know bond holders, etc but at that stage the die was cast and our course had been set.

One of the things I will not forgive him for though is the traveller ethnic mullarkey or giving that loon Zappone a position.

You appear to have major dislike of Fine Gael taoisigh, I hope you aren't going to laud the party that gave us dev, aherne, cowen, haughey.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:07 pm Gob bless your memory, I'm fcuked if I can remember any of Kenny's good moments, except perhaps, the day he walked out of Dáil Eireann for the last time. Another arsewipe FG Taoiseach to go with Varadkar and anybody named Cosgrave.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-14224199
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Fratboy, divisive, gaffe prone Taoiseach, was he ever suitable for the role or even to be a TD. I assume now that he won't be running in the next GE as he doesn't seem the sort who would be willing to retreat to the back benches IF he were to get elected.

Hopefully M. Martin will go too. In some ways I think he may be a bigger bollocks than Varadkar, at least Varadkar is more transparent with his bollocksery

Donohue as FG leader and McGrath for FF might not be too bad, then again it is probably easy to seem like a decent sort when you are a Minister for Finance or Public Expenditure as much of the electorate realises that books need to be balanced and there is no magic money tree.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

BrianD3 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:42 pm Fratboy, divisive, gaffe prone Taoiseach, was he ever suitable for the role or even to be a TD. I assume now that he won't be running in the next GE as he doesn't seem the sort who would be willing to retreat to the back benches IF he were to get elected.

Hopefully M. Martin will go too. In some ways I think he may be a bigger bollocks than Varadkar, at least Varadkar is more transparent with his bollocksery

Donohue as FG leader and McGrath for FF might not be too bad, then again it is probably easy to seem like a decent sort when you are a Minister for Finance or Public Expenditure as much of the electorate realises that books need to be balanced and there is no magic money tree.
I thought Donohoe wasn't interested in the leadership, or was that just while there was the prospect of a big job in Europe?
Martin would require a thread of his own, a JCB couldn't carry the muck that could be raked around that hole.
My biggest fear is that a GE will open the door to SF, although they haven't been doing well in recent opinion polls. We don't even have a worthwhile Independent to stand in our constituency, if you discount Verona Murphy, and I've a nasty suspicion she could be bought for thirty pieces of silver.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

jmayo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:24 pm Kenny stood up in the Dail and laid out the divide between state and catholic church, something that pi***ed off Rome no end.
And the first ever a leader of this country that did so.

He also rehabilitated us with fellow EU countries that his predecessors had mightily pi***ed off.
And we really needed them come Brexit.

Yeah yeah we know bond holders, etc but at that stage the die was cast and our course had been set.

One of the things I will not forgive him for though is the traveller ethnic mullarkey or giving that loon Zappone a position.

You appear to have major dislike of Fine Gael taoisigh, I hope you aren't going to laud the party that gave us dev, aherne, cowen, haughey.
Kenny only chose to take on the RCC when he saw which way the wind was blowing in the country. You're right, I do have a major dislike of FG but believe me, I hold FF in equal contempt. Between them, with the notable exception of Seán Lemass, they have spent 100 years raping the people of this country.

Post by 6234567 »

That's a shame, when I saw saw he was trending - I was hoping his was dead.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:26 pm He wasn't the worst Taoiseach in memory. Low bar in fairness.
I disagree
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

You must have a bad memory. Does the name Brian Cowen ring a bell? How about 'resting in my account' Bertie?
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:45 pm You must have a bad memory. Does the name Brian Cowen ring a bell? How about 'resting in my account' Bertie?
The country has never been in a worse state, Leo legacy- huge list:
homelessness
housing supply
rents
hospital trolleys
hospital waiting lists
Garda recruitment
lawlessness
reliable energy supply
cost of living
Ukrainian refugees
Defence Forces
navy
dentists
GPs
prison capacity
illegal arrival of asylum seekers
childcare
climate targets
mother and baby homes

Missed anything?
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 pm I thought Donohoe wasn't interested in the leadership, or was that just while there was the prospect of a big job in Europe?
Martin would require a thread of his own, a JCB couldn't carry the muck that could be raked around that hole.
My biggest fear is that a GE will open the door to SF, although they haven't been doing well in recent opinion polls. We don't even have a worthwhile Independent to stand in our constituency, if you discount Verona Murphy, and I've a nasty suspicion she could be bought for thirty pieces of silver.
SF will probably be in power come next election.
You have enough gullible fools that believe their crap and aren't old enough to remember the worst of the PIRA actions.
If they do get in they will either
a) have to comply with another party so can't push through some of their more outlandish economic ideas which means the claptrap they have been feeding fools for years will be shown up
b) they are on their own and they do try push through their economic lunacy and MNCs and investors start threatening to leave meaning capital flight and we get what happened ala Liz Truss and our debt starts mushrooming.

Either way they get real or are finished.

The thing lots of us have been saying for quite a while now is that there is opening for conservative party in Ireland, one not associated with old fianna fail chicanery or latterly fine gael Quislingish behaviour.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:16 pm The country has never been in a worse state, Leo legacy- huge list:
homelessness
housing supply
rents
hospital trolleys
hospital waiting lists
Garda recruitment
lawlessness
reliable energy supply
cost of living
Ukrainian refugees
Defence Forces
navy
dentists
GPs
prison capacity
illegal arrival of asylum seekers
childcare
climate targets
mother and baby homes

Missed anything?
Fair point. I never said he was good, just not the worst.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

jmayo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm SF will probably be in power come next election.
You have enough gullible fools that believe their crap and aren't old enough to remember the worst of the PIRA actions.
If they do get in they will either
a) have to comply with another party so can't push through some of their more outlandish economic ideas which means the claptrap they have been feeding fools for years will be shown up
b) they are on their own and they do try push through their economic lunacy and MNCs and investors start threatening to leave meaning capital flight and we get what happened ala Liz Truss and our debt starts mushrooming.

Either way they get real or are finished.

The thing lots of us have been saying for quite a while now is that there is opening for conservative party in Ireland, one not associated with old fianna fail chicanery or latterly fine gael Quislingish behaviour.
Conservative in what respect? Conservative literally means opposed to change, what we need in this country is change.
I'm not sure SF will get a majority, or even have enough support among independents to form a lasting government. I doubt enough
will have the stomach to vote for McDonald as Taoiseach but I'll book my flight to Australia just in case.
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

Suspect he was given the choice of jump or be pushed.

How many of his own TDs are stepping down? Morale clearly an issue under his leadership.

He knows full well he ran the risk of being humiliated at the next election. Only scraped in himself last time around as it was, and don't think his stock has exactly sky rocketed since then.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:12 pm Kenny only chose to take on the RCC when he saw which way the wind was blowing in the country.
Every politician and policy ever was exactly the same, it still takes courage to be the first one to stand up and say feck off.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:05 pm Every politician and policy ever was exactly the same, it still takes courage to be the first one to stand up and say feck off.
You can believe that if you like, personally I don't believe Kenny had any moral compass, much less, courage.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Coveney has ruled himself out of leadership race, shows how much I know, Simon Harris now touted as the favourite. Stands to reason I suppose, Tweedledum is dead, long live Tweedledee.