Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Is Hate Speech Bill doomed?

The burning issues of the day
marhay70

Is Hate Speech Bill doomed?

Post by marhay70 »

Listening to a discussion with Claire Byrne involving TDs from all three Coalition parties, and judging by their comments, it would appear there is little appetite among FF/FG to enact the bill, with only the Greens in favour. Based on this and the recent changes in FG, it's most likely this bill is dead in the water.
When probed on the date for a G.E, FF are running scared from the electorate and want to pull the usual snow job of gifts from the Gods before it's too late, while FG are really visualising doomsday and want to hang on for as long as possible. The Greens will try to bluff it out, but really they got most of their seats in a protest vote against the last government and the writing is on the wall for them and their lunatic policies. Bring it on.
Adso_of_Melk

Re: Is Hate Speech Bill doomed?

Post by Adso_of_Melk »

Hopefully, lots of sociopathic little authoritarian thugs - especially over yonder on wooden timbers ... will be in a blind rage...

Especially the hairy bollocked lunatics in skirts...
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

I certainly hope so
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Scotland’s hate speech laws comes into effect on April 1st. Moron ideologues bringing in an idiotic bill on fool’s day.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

We are already busy policing hate speech for the entire EU. https://europeanconservative.com/articl ... europeans/
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The minefield that awaits us if we allow this type of shite to be imposed by the woke luvvies in our Dáil. Love her or hate her, Katie also gives a good synopsis here of what the implications are from a layman's point of view.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Jk Rowling set the gauntlet, openly challenged the police to arrest her for previous tweets which were allegedly ‘transphobic’.

The response is that it doesn’t fall foul of the law. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68712471

I wonder will the response be the same for everybody not so high profile with a social media following capable of causing uproar.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:28 pm Jk Rowling set the gauntlet, openly challenged the police to arrest her for previous tweets which were allegedly ‘transphobic’.

The response is that it doesn’t fall foul of the law. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68712471

I wonder will the response be the same for everybody not so high profile with a social media following capable of causing uproar.
It's nonsensical legislation. J.K Rowling cannot be prosecuted, apparently, because she was not in Scotland when she made the comments. If, and I doubt it, the legislation is primarily designed to combat hate speech online, then it is already dead in the water, because presumably all one has to do is get a VPN.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

This made me smile just a little from the article linked above about Rowling:
Since the law came into effect on Monday Police Scotland has received more than 3,000 complaints.

[….]

Police Scotland said a large proportion of the complaints it had received concerned a speech made by Mr Yousaf in 2020 when, as justice secretary, he highlighted the number of white people holding prominent positions in Scotland.

The force said complaints about the speech were assessed at the time and it was established that no crime had been committed.
At the time there was no hate speech legislation, the woke mobsters pushing this stuff all have hateful skeletons in their closets and I hope they get hoisted with their petard.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Humza Yousaf is a classic example of a 5th columnist with which Britain is now riddled and we are heading down that road fast. One of our finest examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebun_Joseph who will probably end up as President one day - purely on merit - of course!
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I I saw an interview on rte from some Sinn Fein guy saying they only backed the government bill because they wanted amendments to it. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt I thought, maybe they didn’t want to make it so controlling.

After just watching a gript piece I see they wanted to make it more controlling, they wanted to add immigration status as a protected class among other things.

They all voted for it. Bunch of jokers.

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:22 am I I saw an interview on rte from some Sinn Fein guy saying they only backed the government bill because they wanted amendments to it. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt I thought, maybe they didn’t want to make it so controlling.

After just watching a gript piece I see they wanted to make it more controlling, they wanted to add immigration status as a protected class among other things.

They all voted for it. Bunch of jokers.

And of course, SF backed both amendments to the Constitution and took the same stance, I.e. that they wanted to legislate for the changes when in Government.
A load of shite which only the most gullible in society will accept. There is, in my view, not a single party in Dáil Eireann that is worthy of anyone's vote but I suppose the main priority is to remove the gobshites already in Government before they do any more damage to our country.
Where we go from here is anyone's guess.