Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Brexit is Brilliant (or is it?)

The burning issues of the day

Re: Brexit is Brilliant (or is it?)

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:29 pm The dividends keep coming ... as long as you're not British:

According to this Guardian article, the biggest factor is the UK's decision to not recognise EU national identity cards. The UK government, sticking it's head in the sand, says it's the pandemic innit. :roll: Either way, for little old Ireland to be enjoying 25-50 times the business being done in/with the UK, that's some serious shifting of paradigms.
Won't the need for PCR tests have an impact on school travel. They are needed both ways. I wouldn't want to risk a trip to Ireland what would you do if just one child got a positive PCR test before the trip going back home?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's still ' our ' destiny whatever the outcome. :D
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Utterly Craptastic and disasterous as far as I'm concerned.

No way of buying an actual hardware new zx spectrum now.
When it was possible I didn't have the shekels, I had to pay for elderly parents needs this year, this has eased of now in a big way
Screw eBay and adverts.ie not going to be scalped fleeced either though.
I'm buying stuff instead from Argos that I want ( not need )
End of rant
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:39 pm Won't the need for PCR tests have an impact on school travel. They are needed both ways. I wouldn't want to risk a trip to Ireland what would you do if just one child got a positive PCR test before the trip going back home?
The article indicates that there's some impact on planned school tours by Covid restrictions, but it's far and away the new immigration controls that are the major obstacle. I imagine most schools are now working along the same line as my nieces' school, with Covid-disruption insurance built into the plan for 2022 trips, a cost that can be equitably spread across the whole class. But there's no way to de-personalise the cost of getting passports and visas for those pupils who don't have them, and if there are several no-cost alternatives available, why would you bother?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

As for my own exports, I'm going to take a chance on there being no significant inspections on imports in the immediate future, when I send some personal-use-only meaty gifts to Unicorn Island this coming week. :?

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:59 pm As for my own exports, I'm going to take a chance on there being no significant inspections on imports in the immediate future, when I send some personal-use-only meaty gifts to Unicorn Island this coming week. :?
I'm sure the sniffer dogs will thank you :P
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:59 pm As for my own exports, I'm going to take a chance on there being no significant inspections on imports in the immediate future, when I send some personal-use-only meaty gifts to Unicorn Island this coming week. :?
Well, the parcel is on its way. Had a bitter-sweet surprise when I went to use the self-service machine in the post office. Sweet, in that it allows you to complete the whole process, including customs declarations and invoice generation, using the touchscreen, then prints off all the relevant bits of paper and spits them out ready for sticking and stuffing; but bitter because they're now charging a non-EU Europe "Brexit" fee at a flat rate of 3€ for every parcel.

I have the advantage of being able to use one point of contact in GB as a freight forwarder to other family and friends, but for smaller parcels (up to 2kg) that represents an increase of between 16 and 20% - a hefty supplement for anyone selling low-value items as part of their business.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:15 pm No way of buying an actual hardware new zx spectrum now.
If you're near the border would it be possible to have it delivered to a parcel motel in NI and simple drive over and collect it? I know that was common before brexit to deal with UK ecommerce that didn't ship to ROI.

Post by 95438756 »

are the Unapproved roads any use?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:01 am are the Unapproved roads any use?
You don't need the 'unapproved' roads. There's no custom checks between NI and ROI, or at least, there's currently no checks.

Post by 490808 »

Drove straight up the M1 last week and onto the A1 you can tell when you go over the boarder because of the tackiness, signs everywhere saying Fireworks for sale and money changed, but no sign of any boarder.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's funny how things have changed as regards the roads as it used to be the other way round with excellent roads in the north and potholed boreens down here.
'no more blah blah blah'
Frank

Post by Frank »

NI probably still has the better roads overall because the standard doesn’t drop as massively when you go off a main road up there.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Ironic the Brits arguing for Brexit said the main reason to leave is that you couldn't control your border and be in the EU, here is an EU country closing it's border to them Brits!
Samson

Post by Samson »

One thing we can all agree on, Brexit is great entertainment, what disaster will next befall our neighbors, how will they find a way to still blame all their problems on the EU, it a real life soap opera.

Post by 490808 »

Possibly another source of Brexit amusement Mobile users in UK warned of extra fees for EU countries as roaming charges return

Seems no Ireland<> UK Cross Boarder roaming charges just For Brits going to mainland europe.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

My "Brexit" parcel is spending the holiday weekend sitting in GB customs. Posted in France on Monday, left the country on Tuesday, "awaiting assessment of customs duties and VAT" since Wednesday ... :roll: There shouldn't be any duties or VAT - non-commercial gifts of low value to multiple recipients, individually wrapped, but I wouldn't be too confident that whatever poor sod has sort through the mountain of imports will join the dots correctly. It'll probably be another case of having to get a EUropean to explain to the Brits how their own systems work.

Post by 95438756 »

^^^^ have the popcorn ready....;)
Samson

Post by Samson »

Another year of Brexit fun is on the cards, i have no doubt it will be a good one, if Covid is over who/what will they blame the mess on?
Boris wont let us down, there will be no end of entertainment
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ive being trying for a specific part for a fridge. Most of the suppliers I've found are in the UK. The few continental suppliers I've found haven't been to helpful and won't ship to Ireland (even after offering to pay for shipping). The one that I found that would ship sent the wrong bloody part.

Before Brexit, I'd have ordered from the UK and it would be here ages ago.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:41 pm Ive being trying for a specific part for a fridge. Most of the suppliers I've found are in the UK. The few continental suppliers I've found haven't been to helpful and won't ship to Ireland (even after offering to pay for shipping). The one that I found that would ship sent the wrong bloody part.

Before Brexit, I'd have ordered from the UK and it would be here ages ago.
I've orderd a few bits and pieces from espares.ie since Brexit with no issues.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Scotty wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:54 pm I've orderd a few bits and pieces from espares.ie since Brexit with no issues.
Thanks but no joy. They don't list the manufacturer
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hmm... give Charlie Shiels a call tomorrow. If they can't get the part for you I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:41 pm Ive being trying for a specific part for a fridge. Most of the suppliers I've found are in the UK. The few continental suppliers I've found haven't been to helpful and won't ship to Ireland (even after offering to pay for shipping).
If you let me know the model/part number, I'll have a look at the options for sourcing for continental residents. Some things are ridiculously easy to buy here, when they're almost un-gettable in the UK or Ireland ... ... ... and vice versa!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Thanks all.

Just heard back from the company who sent me the wrong part. They apologized and will send me on the right one next week when they get it back in stock.

I may be annoying you in 10days time if this doesn't work out.