Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Shortages, Freight, Shipping and the Medium Term

The burning issues of the day
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Re: Shortages, Freight, Shipping and the Medium Term

Post by Hodors Appletart »

nah, it misses the point and tries to dismiss the concerns by making the woman look like a fool.

It hasn't worked, in my opinion, because a reduction in choice is never a good thing imo.

Also, halloumi is absolutely gorgeous from the BBQ, so I can relate to her disappointment
Hold The Door
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 am nah, it misses the point and tries to dismiss the concerns by making the woman look like a fool.

It hasn't worked, in my opinion, because a reduction in choice is never a good thing imo.

Also, halloumi is absolutely gorgeous from the BBQ, so I can relate to her disappointment
It's just a joke.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Scotty wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 am
Expect many more price increases before the end of the year.

PS: I predict Christmas decorations/lights are going to be like gold dust this year and very expensive if you can find them
Smyths Toys, Penney's, and IKEA have all warned this week that there will be shortages for Christmas.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://amp.ft.com/content/22497cb0-aaf ... ssion=true

Bad news for beer-loving, meat-eating, fizzy pop-loving people. It is interesting the knock on effects in the supply chain. Costly gas equals less fertiliser equals less CO 2 equals less stun gun killing and fizz for drinks.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Both paywalled for me. :?

How about this one? https://www.ft.com/content/22497cb0-aaf ... 6b67814e48

It's interesting to see the list of commodities that'll be affected - all "stuff" that's being made using other "stuff" even though there are perfectly reasonable alternatives available - ammonium nitrate fertiliser instead of "natural" fertiliser; CO2 bubbles in fake fizzy drinks instead of natural fizz; added CO2 to packaged foodstuffs to keep them "fresher" longer, instead of selling genuinely fresh food ...
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Would not worry about it too much, all sensational nonsense, the same thing happened a few years ago when there was problems with some factories, it was the end of fizzy drink apparently, nowt happened.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

All of them paywalled for me now 🤔

I will put in extract
The UK government is scrambling to respond to a surge in natural gas prices that has forced the closure of fertiliser plants, driven up consumer energy costs and now threatens the supply of products from meat to steel.

Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng held talks this week with officials from the business department’s “energy resilience unit”, according to aides, and has requested an urgent meeting with the chief executive of National Grid that could take place as early as Friday. The company declined to comment.

Soaring natural gas prices have stoked a surge in electricity costs, sending several smaller energy suppliers to the wall and leading price comparison sites this week to cut available tariffs or even remove their energy services altogether. Compare the Market, one of the biggest platforms, said it was pausing comparisons because “energy suppliers are currently restricting the number of tariffs available”.

The gas price surge has already hit heavy industry, with the Energy Intensive Users Group calling on Friday for “immediate steps in the face of unprecedented recent increases in energy prices to maintain the international competitiveness of a key economic sector”.

It is also causing chaos among makers of ammonium nitrate, a staple fertiliser derived from gas, as well as alarm among those that consume it.

Norway’s Yara International said on Friday it would curb production at several facilities in the EU and UK, adding to the shutdown this week of two large UK fertiliser factories owned by CF Industries of the US.

The Civil Contingencies Secretariat — the part of the UK Cabinet Office responsible for emergency planning — has met CF Industries to discuss the crisis.

The UK food industry is bracing for severe disruption after curbs to production of fertiliser, a byproduct of which is carbon dioxide used to stun animals before slaughter as well as in packaging.

The government on Thursday held emergency discussions with meat suppliers, which fear the knock-on effects of the gas price increases could seriously impede their supply chain within a week.

Industry groups and processors were told at the meeting that 60 per cent of the UK’s supply of CO2 had been cut. They also heard that nuclear power plants and the NHS, which use CO2 as a coolant, would take priority in securing what remained, according to two people briefed on the meeting.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 pm Would not worry about it too much, all sensational nonsense, the same thing happened a few years ago when there was problems with some factories, it was the end of fizzy drink apparently, nowt happened.
That's possible if not likely. I am not anticipating Armageddon. But still there seem to be hiccups.
dawg

Post by dawg »

isha wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm ...
I will put in extract
"Soaring natural gas prices have stoked a surge in electricity costs, sending several smaller energy suppliers to the wall and leading price comparison sites this week to cut available tariffs or even remove their energy services altogether. Compare the Market, one of the biggest platforms, said it was pausing comparisons because “energy suppliers are currently restricting the number of tariffs available”.

While London frets and Dublin pretends there is nothing to see Madrid acts :

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 021-09-13/

MADRID, Sept 13 (Reuters) - Spain will cap gas prices, cut taxes and redirect energy company profits as part of a package to bring down soaring electricity prices, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said in an interview on Monday.
"We are going to take away those extraordinary profits that the energy companies are making...and we are going to pass them on to consumers," he said, adding that the special electricity tax would drop to 0.5% from 5.1%.

Meanwhile special energy taxes in Ireland are increased

What price Mr Ryan's bunch are in ecstasy at the prospect of massive increase in energy costs to consumers ?
dawg

Post by dawg »

dawg wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:49 pm "Soaring natural gas prices have stoked a surge in electricity costs, sending several smaller energy suppliers to the wall and leading price comparison sites this week to cut available tariffs or even remove their energy services altogether. Compare the Market, one of the biggest platforms, said it was pausing comparisons because “energy suppliers are currently restricting the number of tariffs available”.

While London frets and Dublin pretends there is nothing to see Madrid acts :

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 021-09-13/

MADRID, Sept 13 (Reuters) - Spain will cap gas prices, cut taxes and redirect energy company profits as part of a package to bring down soaring electricity prices, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said in an interview on Monday.
"We are going to take away those extraordinary profits that the energy companies are making...and we are going to pass them on to consumers," he said, adding that the special electricity tax would drop to 0.5% from 5.1%.

Meanwhile special energy taxes in Ireland are increased

What price Mr Ryan's bunch are in ecstasy at the prospect of massive increase in energy costs to consumers ?
Did anyone hear Dobo interview Mr Ryan lunchtime today ?

Turns out he thinks we should all just suck it up, greenie taxes and all.

If the hospitals are overrun with flu and pneumonia this winter I'll know who is really responsible.
dawg

Post by dawg »

On reflection, I think Mr Ryan might be trying to get Ireland to lead Europe in the highest cost of electricity table. Seems last year we were only 4th highest - not good enough for our minister.
Screenshot_2021-09-21 EU-28 Household electricity prices by country 2020 Statista.png
Screenshot_2021-09-21 EU-28 Household electricity prices by country 2020 Statista.png (86.49 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I was talking to two mates there the weekend that both drive rigids in Dublin. They both work for the same company. They were telling me they've been put on retainers at €100/week. They were also telling me they were already on €1050/week which is higher than I would have thought to be honest.

One of them also mentioned, and I'd never thought about it before, that it cost €10k in Ireland to get from a car to artic licence.

They both predict serious transport issues over the Christmas period.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 pm I was talking to two mates there the weekend that both drive rigids in Dublin. They both work for the same company. They were telling me they've been put on retainers at €100/week. They were also telling me they were already on €1050/week which is higher than I would have thought to be honest.

One of them also mentioned, and I'd never thought about it before, that it cost €10k in Ireland to get from a car to artic licence.

They both predict serious transport issues over the Christmas period.
My mother has been following these stories (ye don't think I licked it up off the ground ;) ) - she already has some frozen turkeys bought in. And candles and her winter extras. I already got in some stuff I would like to have in stock too. But we don't do presents as such at Christmas - just feasting and visiting, so hopefully will be alright. In a way I would not mind if there was less of a buying frenzy going on at Christmas - it kind of freaks me out. But regarding all the other stuff like electricity and fuel and gas and food, that is not good.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Esso, Tesco, and BP have now all closed some of their stations due to no delivery of fuel.

I wonder just how bad it's going to get and how long it's going to take before it turns the other way.

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Meanwhile, Lord Frost is whinging about the EU not responding to his daft ideas about swapping Northern Ireland's reasonably well-functioning "half-in, half-out" system for the full Brexit experience being enjoyed by the English!

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:00 pm Meanwhile, Lord Frost is whinging about the EU not responding to his daft ideas about swapping Northern Ireland's reasonably well-functioning "half-in, half-out" system for the full Brexit experience being enjoyed by the English!

Am not sure how well things are functioning in NI - I was there a couple of weeks ago and there were lots of bare shelves.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I spend half my day dealing with businesses in NI. None of them have a problem with the protocol. They have the best of both worlds and they know it.

What negative effect on everyday life is he referring to?
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

A certain food product I always buy in M&S has gone from 2.30 to 2.90, won't be buying it any longer.
I noticed last week there was a load of reduced stuff in the store going off that day, way more than usual.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-gas ... ce=twitter

90% of petrol stations ran dry in major UK cities :?

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Can you drive a lorry?

schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Can you drive a lorry?

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

:lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

schmittel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:12 pm Can you drive a lorry?

:lol: Stop the thread, I wanna get off!