Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Bodies of 3 people with gunshot wounds discovered in Kerry

The burning issues of the day
AmEireCan

Bodies of 3 people with gunshot wounds discovered in Kerry

Post by AmEireCan »

Gardaí located the body of a woman in her 60s, and a man in his 20s inside the house. The body of a man in his 60s was discovered outside, behind the house. Possibly another Carrigaline situation where a rural family falls out over land and ends in murder-suicide?

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/09 ... -shooting/

Re: Bodies of 3 people with gunshot wounds discovered in Kerry

Post by 95438756 »

Sad story. Pity the priest who will have to officiate at the funerals.
Hope the rte talkshows handle it with some dignity.
Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Irish Times is reporting that the three victims are from one family, and described the incident as a "suspected murder-suicide". But no suggestion as to whether the trigger was a land dispute or something else.

Dreadful story.
the dunne
Verified Username

Post by the dunne »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:26 am Sad story. Pity the priest who will have to officiate at the funerals.
Hope the rte talkshows handle it with some dignity.
Horrible story.

Bit mad that your mindset went immediately to sympathy for the priest though. Bizarrely raised a smile from me.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Not the first time in that neighbourhood. There was a double murder there maybe 10 or 12 years ago, very similar.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Horrible. One's heart just sinks to see another of these dreadful whole family killings. I wonder if there is a copycat element to these murder suicide events, like there is re suicides? Though I feel awful for the poor woman, I feel especially bad for the young fella, aged 23, with his whole life ahead of him.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Gosh.. I read this last night - sooo soo sad.. RIP to the deceased... my heart goes out to the rest of the family... interpersonal conflict of some sort no doubt.. perhaps over land/will or maybe poor mental health.. many sad stories like this over the last year in particular.. the family in Kanturk springs to mind 1st... (RIP).. what ever the reason, RIP but i hope lessons can be learnt from this so it doesn't happen another family in the future..
Could happen in any household.. you just never know... so sad..
Last edited by BettyBee on Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seafields
Verified Username

Post by Seafields »

Terrible story yet again. There was also a news item regarding a man taking his own life with a gun in a Cork GPs surgery yesterday. Respect to emergency services dealing with those call outs.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Maybe it's just me but my first response to stories like this is terrible anger at the person who perpetrated the violence upon their innocent family - not sadness about their mental health or suffering. I am very sad for the people who died but not at all for the person who murdered them. Just angry.

I felt the same instantly I heard about Alan Hawe. People were coming forward expressing sympathy at the beginning of that story, and all I felt was white hot rage at the utterly vast narcissism of a person who feels justified to take out their whole family when things go sideways for them.

I honestly think if there was some kind of large scale expression of public outrage and revulsion at the perpetrators of these acts of mass violence in such a way that it created a taboo of sorts in the social mindscape, then maybe there would not be as many people acting on the dreadful impulse that seems to be abroad right now to wipe out others when they themselves want out.

Note - this happened recently also with that poor family from Kurdistan - Karzan Sabah, his wife, Shahen Qasm,and their eight-month-old daughter, Lina, - who were wiped out en masse by that prick with his 'known suicidal ideation' driving the wrong way up the motorway.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

It's also very anger inducing when you hear about the perperator being a "good GAA man" (why is it always GAA) or a "gentle giant"

piss off, he's a murdering c*nt.
Hold The Door
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

isha wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:55 pm Maybe it's just me but my first response to stories like this is terrible anger at the person who perpetrated the violence upon their innocent family - not sadness about their mental health or suffering. I am very sad for the people who died but not at all for the person who murdered them. Just angry.

I felt the same instantly I heard about Alan Hawe. People were coming forward expressing sympathy at the beginning of that story, and all I felt was white hot rage at the utterly vast narcissism of a person who feels justified to take out their whole family when things go sideways for them.

I honestly think if there was some kind of large scale expression of public outrage and revulsion at the perpetrators of these acts of mass violence in such a way that it created a taboo of sorts in the social mindscape, then maybe there would not be as many people acting on the dreadful impulse that seems to be abroad right now to wipe out others when they themselves want out.

Note - this happened recently also with that poor family from Kurdistan - Karzan Sabah, his wife, Shahen Qasm,and their eight-month-old daughter, Lina, - who were wiped out en masse by that prick with his 'known suicidal ideation' driving the wrong way up the motorway.
I didn't know that's what happened to the Kurdish family till now, christ that makes it even more awful.

I totally agree with you regarding trying making it a taboo, take any kind of 'honour' out of it. But at the same time maybe something can be done to give people even thinking it some kind of outlet, a hotline or something like for 'regular' suicide, whatever can be done so this doesn't keep happening
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Riffmongous wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:06 pm I didn't know that's what happened to the Kurdish family till now, christ that makes it even more awful.

I totally agree with you regarding trying making it a taboo, take any kind of 'honour' out of it. But at the same time maybe something can be done to give people even thinking it some kind of outlet, a hotline or something like for 'regular' suicide, whatever can be done so this doesn't keep happening

I can see your point and your decency, Riff. I am more inclined to go Medieval on stuff like this - bury them outside of sacred ground, leave them for the crows, remember their darkness in fireside lore! A lot of old customs, that we think of now as backward, served functions in the tribe - the threat of being outcast was a very powerful yoke. The threat of your name being deplored for generations. Now we want to "understand" the person and are often so milquetoast about atrocity - pass me my pitchfork, I say.
(I am not entirely serious, but there is a real part of me that is.)
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

isha wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:26 pm I can see your point and your decency, Riff. I am more inclined to go Medieval on stuff like this - bury them outside of sacred ground, leave them for the crows, remember their darkness in fireside lore! A lot of old customs, that we think of now as backward, served functions in the tribe - the threat of being outcast was a very powerful yoke. The threat of your name being deplored for generations. Now we want to "understand" the person and are often so milquetoast about atrocity - pass me my pitchfork, I say.
(I am not entirely serious, but there is a real part of me that is.)
Yeah I get you, I just hope the more different ways you try the more you can stop it happening, the carrot for some and the stick for others
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Tragic story. I agree totally with the sentiment that instead of sympathy for the perpetrator I just feel revulsion and anger. I know this is not a very 'Christian' attitude but when you think about that poor kurdish family, for example, who saw that car coming towards them at max speed, it's hard to have much sympathy. I understand that mental health issues can and are very tough for some but if you want to end your life why would you want to take innocent people with you. Can't make sense of that at all.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:33 pm It's also very anger inducing when you hear about the perperator being a "good GAA man" (why is it always GAA) or a "gentle giant"

If i could thank this 50 times I would
SouthWesterly
Verified Username

Post by SouthWesterly »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:33 pm It's also very anger inducing when you hear about the perperator being a "good GAA man" (why is it always GAA) or a "gentle giant"

Knowing the locality. GAA is in the blood of every kid in the area. That and Ceoltas.
He was probably cheering his local club last weekend.
Not the first tragic death in the area in recent months
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

SouthWesterly wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:41 pm Knowing the locality. GAA is in the blood of every kid in the area. That and Ceoltas.
He was probably cheering his local club last weekend.
yeah but so what?

He was murdering his family 2 nights ago then took the coward's way out himself. I don't care if he was saving drowning orphans 8 nights a week previous to what his final actions were - he is and should only ever be known as a coward who shot his defenceless family then cravenly turned the weapon on himself.

And this excuse of "mental health" is pretty disgusting. There tens of thousands of people who have suffered mental anguish and never once murdered any family member.

No.

It's evil is what it is. And local priests or bainisteoirí telling us how nice the man was is absolutely a slap in the face to the people mourning the real victims.

"Oh he was such a nice man"

Nah, the evidence shows he was a murdering coward, you can stuff your empty platitudes
Hold The Door
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:55 am yeah but so what?

He was murdering his family 2 nights ago then took the coward's way out himself. I don't care if he was saving drowning orphans 8 nights a week previous to what his final actions were - he is and should only ever be known as a coward who shot his defenceless family then cravenly turned the weapon on himself.

And this excuse of "mental health" is pretty disgusting. There tens of thousands of people who have suffered mental anguish and never once murdered any family member.

No.

It's evil is what it is. And local priests or bainisteoirí telling us how nice the man was is absolutely a slap in the face to the people mourning the real victims.

"Oh he was such a nice man"

Nah, the evidence shows he was a murdering coward, you can stuff your empty platitudes
where did you see this?
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

BettyBee wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:38 pm where did you see this?
Pascal Sheehy made the point on yesterday's One O'Clock news with Brian Dobson.

Local people were saying it to him, and he told the nation.
Hold The Door
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

RIP. A terrible tragedy taken more quick than was necessary.
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Well, what's the local word on the motive?
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Plover1958 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 pm Yes, let's feed the rumour mill. :roll:
Then why did you click on the thread if you didn't want to know? A thread of endless "RIP thoughts and prayers" posts is pointless and doesn't further the discussion.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

If you read the thread you would see it's most definitely not "a thread of endless RIP thoughts and prayers". People are openly and honestly discussing their feelings on the topic.
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

A terrible tragedy. RIP to those involved and sympathies to the families. I do hope that teh left doesn’t use this case as a way to push for further restrictions on legal private gun ownership. This is not time.
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Separate funerals for the father, then another for the mother and son. No surprises there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0 ... ly-deaths/