Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us. We're aware of an issue that our activation emails are not getting through to a handful of gmail users. If you registered but did not receive an activation email, let us know. If you're not so new here, you can dismiss this message.

Seismic activity La Palma Island

The burning issues of the day
quodec

Re: Seismic activity La Palma Island

Post by quodec »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:22 pm Or maybe I'm gawking at it too long ha
I know! It can quickly become addictive! It would be great to watch it from another perspective though. We seem to be watching from the same camera for over a week!
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

I have it on my computer monitor and trying to watch the telly at the same time. Hard going this multitasking 😀
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yeah, I was thinking the top one seemed to be more active these last few days. Also have the impression that the lava is flowing faster, but some of that might be a trick of the camera settings.
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Another feed. Think this one is La Palma Television. I don't understand a word they are saying but gives some wider shots if your bored with the other one :D

quodec

Post by quodec »

This volcano just keeps giving and giving! Some pour on this evening! You would have to worry for the inhabitants below!
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Looks lively tonight.

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

quodec wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:28 pm This volcano just keeps giving and giving! Some pour on this evening! You would have to worry for the inhabitants below!
You might want to pace yourself, quodec! :D It's expected to keep giving for another 40 days yet.

And there are no (longer) inhabitants below - they've all been gone since the eruption began. Unless you're talking about some of the wildlife that'd struggle to move fast. Watching a few minutes of the daytime feed earlier, I noticed that all the trees on the nearby mountainside were distinctly orangey brown, unlike those on the hills further away.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Some drone footage giving a couple of different perspectives on the scene downwind from the fissures.

When this is all over, you'd wonder how anyone with one of the few houses that have been spared destruction would move on, e.g. the one seen at 3:10-3:20. Would you even try to go back and give it a good clean? Would you try to re-establish services, or opt for off-grid future? Could you cope with a lava field as a view from your front windows instead of a lush landscape?
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:51 pm Also have the impression that the lava is flowing faster, but some of that might be a trick of the camera settings.
Apparently not - was looking at some of the footage posted by Instituto Geológico y Minero de España today, and reading their video notes; and it seems that the lava from the second (and third?) fissure is indeed less viscous than that which came from the first eruption.

Unfortunately, the channel doesn't invite comments, so I'm left wondering if basic physics applies in this case, and this implies that the freer-flowing lava is coming out at a higher temperature? Which would mean it's coming from deeper down and ... what's the likely effect of that on the duration/severity of the eruption?
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Another live feed.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Maybe ye have seen this one. Video at daily Mail - increase quality at settings cog.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sions.html
dawg

Post by dawg »

Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Not sure if this was posted already. Nice drone footage of the area going out to sea. Wonder is there anyone under them large mesh covered areas picking fruit as this goes on.

dawg

Post by dawg »

No. All evacuated. Killer fumes. Usually bananas growing under cover, sometimes tomatoes.

Some pictures posted over on pprune by a Canarian based photographer e.g. https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/642769 ... st11119113
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Updated live feed.

Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Some good scenes from the above live feed tonight. Lava flowing very quickly.

Stats are interesting at the bottom of the screen - 66 cubic metres a second. 106107100 cubic metres of lava since the eruption began.

In cement truck terms that's a total of 13,263,387 large 8 cubic metre cement lorries :D
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

In cement truck terms that's a total of 13,263,387 large 8 cubic metre cement lorries :D
[/quote]
Mind boggling...
dawg

Post by dawg »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 pm Some good scenes from the above live feed tonight. Lava flowing very quickly.

Stats are interesting at the bottom of the screen - 66 cubic metres a second. 106107100 cubic metres of lava since the eruption began.

just thinking...if that lava could be piped to a conveyor belt of giant cinder block moulds a vast number of very large blocks could be produced for just about nothing every day 8-)
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

dawg wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:37 pm just thinking...if that lava could be piped to a conveyor belt of giant cinder block moulds a vast number of very large blocks could be produced for just about nothing every day 8-)
Pipe it to Ireland, we could use it as filling for all the roads promised in the new National Development plan :lol:
82128Gvl75Ssk3k-2T.jpg
82128Gvl75Ssk3k-2T.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 pm Pipe it to Ireland, we could use it as filling for all the roads promised in the new National Development plan :lol:

82128Gvl75Ssk3k-2T.jpg
Good thinking :lol: . It's very light and porous, I brought home a piece from the Idaho lava field. :twisted:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I have half of Tenerife lying about the house - a legacy from my ex - having never been there myself. Give me the peace and quiet of the Great Saltee or Cape Clear any day, and you're unlikely to be disturbed by volcanic activity in either place.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Its inexorable!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Amazing footage - thanks for posting.
dawg

Post by dawg »