Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Not looking good for global warming

The burning issues of the day
Abella

Not looking good for global warming

Post by Abella »

How can Greta explain away this?
Antarctica's last 6 months were the coldest on record
https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-envi ... -1.5618090
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Re: Not looking good for global warming

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

Don't they also talk about Climate Change, though?
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

"WEATHER VERSUS CLIMATE

It is important to understand weather is different from climate. Weather is what happens over shorter periods of time (days to months), such as the seven-day forecast. Climate is what happens over much longer periods of time, such as several years, or even entire generations."

Weather versus Climate= if it supports our agenda its Climate, if it does'nt its weather.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Abella wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:05 am How can Greta explain away this?
Yeah, shoot the messenger again. We should just proceed on our merry way and do nothing. Why do you pick Greta out for special derision anyway - do you think that she is the only one concerned about climate change?
'no more blah blah blah'
Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Seriously? We've been talking about global warming for, what, more than a decade now, and people are still asking questions like this?

"Global warming" does not refer, and has never referred, to a uniform raising of temperatures across the globe. The phenomenon you mention here is not inconsistent with the concept of global warming; it is completely consistent with it.

The earth's climate is a closed, finite system, containing a more or less fixed volume of water, water vapour, atmosphere, etc. Global warming changes this by raising the amount of energy in the system, in the form of heat.

When you introduce more energy into a closed system it becomes more volatile, more turbulent. What this means is a more energetic climate, old patterns breaking down and new ones forming at a higher and higher rate, greater changes from hot to cold, more extreme or abnormal weather events, etc, etc. Unusually cold winters are just as much to be expected as unusually hot summers. Average global temperatures will indeed go up, but the more notable - and more problematic - change will not be the higher average temperature but the much greater volatility of the climate, with more unexpected, unseasonable or extreme events.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Until I see any semblance of a solution that isn’t just a token gesture designed to dip into peoples pockets then I’m never taking it seriously. It’s an industry rather than an actual problem, and it’s one perfectly designed for the bored masses of today.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

She could start by reading the article you posted. It's explained why within.
dawg

Post by dawg »

A private MD-87 crashed while attempting takeoff from an airstrip in Texas yesterday, 19th October.

It was a private Jet owned by a local builder. on board were 18 passengers ( incl said builder ) and three crew ( there were no fatalities )

Their plan was to go watch a game in Boston

The MD-87 is a mid sized commercial jet. When configured for commercial operation it generally has 130ish seat capacity

I hope you all understand how important your efforts to save the planet are
Abella

Post by Abella »

The gullible lap all this climate chance BS up, its just a excuse to take more money out of you with new taxes, always has been and always will be.

Post by 6456739 »

Abella wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 pm The gullible lap all this climate chance BS up, its just a excuse to take more money out of you with new taxes, always has been and always will be.
Proof it's BS please.
Abella

Post by Abella »

China burns 50% of all the coal in the world year in year out , yet its the EU and USA that gets the blame and then taxed to the hilt, and the idiots who fall for this are demanding more taxes to solve global warming.
Useful idiots is all they are, facts have no meaning to them
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

At some future date - if the planet survives - climate change denial will be put in the same category as holocaust denial.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Abella wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:45 am China burns 50% of all the coal in the world year in year out , yet its the EU and USA that gets the blame and then taxed to the hilt, and the idiots who fall for this are demanding more taxes to solve global warming.
Thats because we consume most of the totally unnecessary plastic tat produced by China.

If we didn't buy cheap Chinese goods then they wouldn't be creating as much polution.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Abella wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:45 am China burns 50% of all the coal in the world year in year out , yet its the EU and USA that gets the blame and then taxed to the hilt, and the idiots who fall for this are demanding more taxes to solve global warming.
As far as the picture is concerned...the Hudson river estuary is tidal :mrgreen:

(As in two random pictures taken at random states of tide are absolutely meaningless in this "comparison"...if that really needed to be explained)
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Abella wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 pm The gullible lap all this climate chance BS up, its just a excuse to take more money out of you with new taxes, always has been and always will be.

Agree the biggest con of all time.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:50 am At some future date - if the planet survives - climate change denial will be put in the same category as holocaust denial.
No it won't. It's this type of comment that drives many people away from accepting the science as so much of current climate activism and commentary around global warming is drenched in complete hyperbole.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

No it isn't. It is a real phenomenon that will have real consequences. However, it has been hijacked by doom merchants and blown out of all proportion.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

You know, the more people go on about Global Warming, the more jaded I become.

From listening to one side, we'll kill the planet in 20 years. The other side is "yerra 'tis grand". Personally, it all comes down to money. People are all for Green, but wont spend extra on it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:48 pm You know, the more people go on about Global Warming, the more jaded I become.

From listening to one side, we'll kill the planet in 20 years. The other side is "yerra 'tis grand". Personally, it all comes down to money. People are all for Green, but wont spend extra on it.
Nail on head there, too much talk and too little action. Too much responsibility is being turned back on individual actions rather than the State taking big decisive action and the rest of us getting onboard. I don't mean daft actions like closing Bord na Mona overnight but doing things in planned, clearly set out way that even the deniers may get.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The carbon taxes make fossil fuels less appealing and new tech gets more attention. Its the only way forward (for those of us who believe in anthropogenic climate change). Money talks.

Climate change has become very political as of late and has been usurped, as Gubuoriginal pointed out, by the 'doom merchants' but it was a staunch conservative who was the first to address it on the world stage.

Abella

Post by Abella »

Seen something today that sums up the green movement perfectly, useful idiots.
There was a woman on Kildare Street will placards protesting climate change, she stood there with several signs and one of them stated "No more Data Centers" all the time she had head down and was looking at her phone, i wonder where the info she was looking at on her phone came from?
As i said , Useful idiots with no real understanding of what they are doing, the bidding of Government to get public support to raise taxes.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Average retrofitting cost per house of €56,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environ ... 1.4720943

To be honest, I won't be spending that much as the payback is far too long. My heating bill is one tank of oil a year. Put it down as €1000 per year (to allow for price increases). That's about 50 years payback. I don't think so.....

Edit, that being said, I am pricing up getting extra insulation pumped into the house to do my bit but I'm not spending that much.
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Most landlords certainly won't be paying that much, nor looking at the extra insulation you mention. Many will barely do the minimum upkeep as it is.

The idiotic idea of wanting a million EVs on the roads in a country with a huge commuting population (and the costs associated with that) and relatively old national fleet is another one of course. They've already said the costs of changing will mainly be on the buyer, but unless new cars suddenly get much cheaper, and second hand EVs get plentiful and cheaper (when used cars are actually increasingly expensive), it'll just be a case of penalising people who can't afford change even more.

That's the Greens for you. It was the same last time they were in Government. Increased taxes and costs for the average household dressed up as impractical fantasies and nonsense
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If you are considering pumped insulation, do your research on your chosen contractor, get a good one.
Cowboy crews, of which there are many, and many government sponsored ones, will do more harm than good.
It takes time to do a proper pumped insulation, so that all the areas are fully insulated. Especially above doors and window heads.
I have seen houses insulated by the last crop of would be professionals funded by the government, which was a terrific scam. Quotes from different companies, that ended up being the same, and sign offs by engineers that were relations of the successful quoted company.
This round will be no different.

If I were considering it, I would be looking for previous customers before and after thermal imaging pics of their property, and an introduction to the same.

Post by 490808 »

Kaiser wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:18 am ...
The idiotic idea of wanting a million EVs on the roads in a country with a huge commuting population (and the costs associated with that) and relatively old national fleet is another one of course.

We have been warned about possible power shortages during the winter so has someone done the calculation of how much power a million EV's will need?

I'm asking as I've really no idea if charging all these EV's will make a difference or not?