Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Not looking good for global warming

The burning issues of the day
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Not looking good for global warming

Post by kadman »

What I would like to know is why is the government prioritizing supplying a tax payers product, electricity.
To commercial data storage centres in preference to domestic use?
Why are we low down in the pecking order.

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:16 am What I would like to know is why is the government prioritizing supplying a tax payers product, electricity.
To commercial data storage centres in preference to domestic use?
Why are we low down in the pecking order.
From what I read they will be the first to be disconnected if there is any power disruption. The reason being that the data centers have their own backup generators.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

So when Facecrook and all that social media shite goes off air, greta and all the youngsters will have a complete meltdown :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

kadman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:29 am If you are considering pumped insulation, do your research on your chosen contractor, get a good one.
Cowboy crews, of which there are many, and many government sponsored ones, will do more harm than good.
It takes time to do a proper pumped insulation, so that all the areas are fully insulated. Especially above doors and window heads.
I have seen houses insulated by the last crop of would be professionals funded by the government, which was a terrific scam. Quotes from different companies, that ended up being the same, and sign offs by engineers that were relations of the successful quoted company.
This round will be no different.

If I were considering it, I would be looking for previous customers before and after thermal imaging pics of their property, and an introduction to the same.
Thanks for the tip on the thermal cameras. I had it done before on a different house and I was happy with the job. The contractor told me that if there's any cold or damp spots on the walls that means there's nothing pumped in there. If that happened to get back to him. When doing the job, they realised that the walls took less than expected and after investigating they found the cavity half blocked. The house was a typical '70's suburbia with pebble dash (with dash half falling off). They wanted me to gather the dash that fell off for a few weeks before they came to match up the dash when they filled the holes.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:54 am Thanks for the tip on the thermal cameras. I had it done before on a different house and I was happy with the job. The contractor told me that if there's any cold or damp spots on the walls that means there's nothing pumped in there. If that happened to get back to him. When doing the job, they realised that the walls took less than expected and after investigating they found the cavity half blocked. The house was a typical '70's suburbia with pebble dash (with dash half falling off). They wanted me to gather the dash that fell off for a few weeks before they came to match up the dash when they filled the holes.
Ah sure if you been there before, you know what I,m talking about ;)

Thermal imaging camera is a great bit of kit, and it shows you exactly whats going on. Any of the last crop of government retrained gobshites I came across, never heard such a thing as a thermal camera, but they still got their card saying " I dun a korse in insullashon boss.".. Same fiasco and moneymaking scheme is about to take place again, god help us.

Post by 490808 »

In answer to my own earlier question Google came up with https://www.virta.global/blog/myth-bust ... power-grid

However that article assumes a slow take up of EV's if it was possible (we know its not) for most of us to get EV's (80% EV's) then I believer the additional power draw on the grid could be as much as 15%.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:40 am We have been warned about possible power shortages during the winter so has someone done the calculation of how much power a million EV's will need?

I'm asking as I've really no idea if charging all these EV's will make a difference or not?
If the power was coming from renewable energy sources then surely this would have a positive effect(less greenhouse gases emitted). If it comes from coal plants then the whole idea of EV's is pretty redundant.

Tesla now show you where the power for their charging stations comes from. For example Tesla’s Supercharger in Hawthorne, California, which was one of the first to have solar panels, has an energy mix of 0.2% solar, 5.5% nuclear,13.3% natural gas, 27% coal and 49.9% wind.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Eventually we're going to have to go nuclear. There's no two ways about it. It already accounts for 25% of clean energy created. Time we caught up. If we start today we could be ready before 2050.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I keep hearing that these small modular nuclear power plants are "just around the corner". Given our ability to completely feck up any large infrastructure, I'd much prefer multiple small modular plant rather than a single large plant.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:30 pm I keep hearing that these small modular nuclear power plants are "just around the corner". Given our ability to completely feck up any large infrastructure, I'd much prefer multiple small modular plant rather than a single large plant.
Yeah, everyone wants one of these in their community. Where should we get rid of the waste - the local civic amenity site?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

How is this possible? EirGrid unveils €1 billion plan for 'radical transformation' of power they are claiming at least 70% renewable energy by 2030.

Solar is only when the sun shines and wind power is only when there is enough wind, hydro is a nice idea but only a sideshow, how can that add up to supply at least 70% of our needs?

A better article here https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-80-re ... 3-Oct2021/
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Scotty wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:30 am Eventually we're going to have to go nuclear. There's no two ways about it. It already accounts for 25% of clean energy created. Time we caught up. If we start today we could be ready before 2050.
Have you not watched the last man on earth, what happens if a deadly virus wipes out most of the population and then there is no one with expertise to run to run the nuclear plants, well they will meltdown and then where will the surviving population go to live.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The proponents of nuclear power often quote the Aberfan disaster in Wales in 1966 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster as an example of how nuclear power has a better safety record than the other alternatives but the difference is that while 144 people lost their lives that day - that was it, end of - people didn't continue dying or being born with birth defects for decades afterwards. The true extant of the deaths and other effects of the Chernobyl disaster have been well and truly buried in the mists of time and misinformation since.

The more recent Fukushima disaster in Japan is even harder to pin down details of fatalities, long term effects etc, due to official obfuscation, the earthquake and resulting tsunami all being in the mix. If nuclear power is so damn safe why do governments, especially our nearest neighbour, persist in siting them as far away as possible from major population centres?
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Belgium to close nuclear power by 2025, but will still invest €100m researching future nuclear power.

Considering it takes >20 years to build a station and cost >€8b it seems odd that they would choose to close a clean power source. Especially considering that they haven't yet come up with a solution to replacing the lost energy.