Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

The burning issues of the day
JONJO THE MISER

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

On the set of his movie rust in New Mexico, police are investigating.
According to investigators, it appears the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged.
How can this happen, surely there is such a thing as health and safety on movie sets and live guns are not used.
Of course Alec Baldwin is just a piece of scum, remember when he assaulted a person in new York a few years ago, all very strange as the director was injured by the gun as well.
Was it the scums infamous temper as reported here https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... 860480002/
Hopefully law enforcement goes to town on the scum bag.
Of course his liberal Hollywood friends and the liberal media will stay stum on the issue, as he is a hater of Trump and the saturday night live idiots love him so that is alll that matters.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer

Post by isha »

How the hell can there be a loaded gun on a film set? It's awful.
This is Halyna Hutchins - the cinematographer who died.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Very strange, how on earth could a non deactivated firearm get on a movie set - even in the gun loving USA.
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

If its for firing blanks its not deactivated.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Sounds like a similar accident that happened to Brandon Lee.

Post by 490808 »

My first thought was also of the death of Brandon Lee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee
In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:08 am Hopefully law enforcement goes to town on the scum bag.
You're a great lad at adding 2+2 and getting 3. How about you wait til you know the facts before lynching?
JayRoc
Verified Username

Post by JayRoc »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:08 am On the set of his movie rust in New Mexico, police are investigating.
According to investigators, it appears the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged.
How can this happen, surely there is such a thing as health and safety on movie sets and live guns are not used.
Of course Alec Baldwin is just a piece of scum, remember when he assaulted a person in new York a few years ago, all very strange as the director was injured by the gun as well.
Was it the scums infamous temper as reported here https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... 860480002/
Hopefully law enforcement goes to town on the scum bag.
Of course his liberal Hollywood friends and the liberal media will stay stum on the issue, as he is a hater of Trump and the saturday night live idiots love him so that is alll that matters.
This is a really odd post. A prop malfunction results in the death of a crew member...so the actor who was using the prop, but is clearly not to blame in any way whatsoever, is "A Scumbag"?

As for the link you provided, the worst example of his temper is him giving a slap to a paparazzo who was trying to photograph his newborn baby. Fair enough tbh.

Post by 490808 »

The issue with some of these shootings with blanks is that no one expects or checks that the barrel itself is completely clear before the blanks are inserted.

Logic dictates that if you have just loaded blanks into a revolver that it can't have real rounds in it.

I haven't used a gun in years but used to shoot a lot on army ranges and the mantra is various versions of cock and look which means opening the breach of the weapon and checking there is nothing in the magazine and nothing in the chamber. No one looks down the barrel to check a gun is "clear" of a projectile.

Then again that level of checking is fine because you aren't normally going to point a gun even with a blank in it and pull the tigger accept on a film set. So its the film sets that should have extra levels of safety checks.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Mountain wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:33 am Judging by the mess of speculation in his Gabby Petito case, I'm not sure I'd debate the issues surrounding character evidence (that would be inadmissible at any trial) with Jonjo.
Aww this coming from the guy who thinks a murder of a baby should not be investigated, some piece of work, a utter disgrace.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Very sad. One would wonder how this could happen that an actor was handed a lethal weapon. Feel very sorry for Alec Baldwin, a tragic accident that he will relive for the rest of his day's. Don't know how anyone could even think he's responsible for this.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

It's hard to believe it could have been accidental. The gun should be loaded by an armorer and also checked by an assistant armorer. The assistant director announced 'cold gun' when bringing the gun on set, that means no live rounds. If it was accidental, and I presume it was, then it's gross negligence resulting in manslaughter.

Either way, it would appear Alex Baldwin did absolutely nothing wrong.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Is it true that the usual professionals are on strike so scabs were got in?

Post by 490808 »

I think scabs is a little provocative but it looks like some of the camera crew left. Hard to say from the article exactly who was doing the filming? The B crew?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ed-off-set

That shouldn't make any difference with the way safety was handled but it looks like that might have been done on a budget like the rest of the film.

To my mind part of the issue is that the actors don't take any responciblity for checking any prop guns they use. The checking is done by the armourer and the gun handed to the actor. As a one time serious gun user I think thats wrong. If you are handed a gun for any reason you either check it yourself, watch and confirm its checked before its passed to you or don't touch it.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Apparently the armourer is the daughter of some famouse armourer who sounds like she lacked experience and there were live discharges on the set before the fatal shooting

Post by 490808 »

This has had me thinking a bit. What I'd like to know is why would any live rounds of any type be allowed on a film set. A film set where there is the potential that real guns will be pointed at real people. In no other situation other than law enforcement or military is there any possible reason for a gun to be pointed at another person.

Because of this pointing guns anomaly there should be far stricter regulations for handling guns than anywhere else along with compulsory training for everyone (even the tea boy) who will be on the set when real guns are out.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm This has had me thinking a bit. What I'd like to know is why would any live rounds of any type be allowed on a film set. A film set where there is the potential that real guns will be pointed at real people. In no other situation other than law enforcement or military is there any possible reason for a gun to be pointed at another person.
Cos America, pretty much. If you're shooting a flic here or the UK or wherever outside of military and police there are very very few real guns and live rounds in the surrounding societies. On set you'd only have blanks and dummy rounds and they would themselves be highly controlled and illegal for non qualified people to have access to them. In America guns and live rounds are pretty much everywhere especially outside the cities, so the chances of this happening where you'd get crossover are much higher. I read somewhere that some of the cast/crew? were shooting live rounds as target practice near the set and someone else had a live fire go off accidently in one of the cabins. There were live and dummy rounds on the same set. Madness. The armourer is as BB said a 20 odd year old who seems to have gotten the job because her da was one. The family business as it were and that's OK on the surface. You would think that she would be less likely to have screwed up because of growing up around it? Though maybe some sloppiness came into it because of that. Clearly sloppiness did.

Maybe the Brandon lee thing was in play and somebody had loaded a "dummy" round with the primer still in it. It was fired for a scene, the primer had enough whack to drive the bullet into the barrel and then an actual blank was loaded but when it went off it fired the jamed round all the way out. Against that it seems the round went through the poor woman and then hit the director lodging in his shoulder which doesn't sound like the above, though it was at point blank range. Christ, can you imagine the shock for all involved? The gun going off inside the set would be very loud, then to see the two people crumple. Tragic fcukup all around.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

American film sets work with guns all the time without anyone being shot which tells you that there was something very wrong with this one

CNN going hard for the Assistant Director (male) without any mention of the master armourer (female), suprise suprise

Post by 490808 »

I read the press as giving the impression of pushy assistant director just taking the first gun he could without reference to the armourer to get on with the shot?

Basically two people assistant director and actor who should have checked the gun because they handled it both could have prevented a death.

This cold gun hot gun thing is so stupid I find it hard to comprehend. If someone shouts hot gun is everyone supposed to run for cover?
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am
This cold gun hot gun thing is so stupid I find it hard to comprehend.
Again cos America. They have to make the distinction because the nation is steeped in "hot" guns. Even hot/cold is simplistic. Years ago I heard that here and in the UK(though they didn't use the same terms IIRC) a "cold" gun is one not loaded with anything, or a total prop not capable of firing anything, a "hot" gun is one that fires something, but on no production would a real gun with real ammunition be anywhere to be found. That there were real guns mixing with makebelieve in one place is nothing short of a staggering level of idiocy. That would be like I dunno a poisoning scene in a drama on the Medici having real poisoned wine mixed in with the other glasses.

As for blame IMHO it lays with the armourer, They're in charge of weapons and making such safe. Yes the AD and the actors checking would be a nice extra layer, especially with firearms but it's not their role. The assumption is made among professionals that the previous pro has their sh1t together.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am I read the press as giving the impression of pushy assistant director just taking the first gun he could without reference to the armourer to get on with the shot?

Basically two people assistant director and actor who should have checked the gun because they handled it both could have prevented a death.

This cold gun hot gun thing is so stupid I find it hard to comprehend. If someone shouts hot gun is everyone supposed to run for cover?
Supoosedly live and blank ammo was kept together, which is a huge no no. That would be the armourers job; to ensure that isn't the case. Seems she was very inexperienced and not up to the task based on previous interviews. Also the director shouting cold gun clearly did not check the weapon.

Post by 490808 »

GubuOriginal wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:32 pm Supoosedly live and blank ammo was kept together, which is a huge no no. That would be the armourers job; to ensure that isn't the case. Seems she was very inexperienced and not up to the task based on previous interviews. Also the director shouting cold gun clearly did not check the weapon.
I don't see that live and blank ammo being kept together together is such a big deal. Its all ammo all if it can kill.

Obviously you don't mix live and blank ammo in the same box, you keep it in separate clearly labeled boxes but when its locked away safe then it all ammo boxes go in the same store. Anyone handling the ammunition can easily see the difference between real rounds and blanks.

I am however starting to wonder if the armourer for a budget movie was hired because she was a cheap hire due to lack of previous experience.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:11 pm I don't see that live and blank ammo being kept together together is such a big deal. Its all ammo all if it can kill.
The difference between live ammo and blanks is huge. Unless you place the barrel close to somebody's body a blank won't be lethal, but a live round can kill a mile away.
Anyone handling the ammunition can easily see the difference between real rounds and blanks.
Yes and no. There are also dummy rounds, that look like live rounds but have no powder or primer so can't be fired. When you see actors loading rounds into a clip or round laying on tables in scens they're dummy rounds and they look pretty much identical to live ones.

There are zero reasons why live rounds should be anywhere near a film set. They serve no purpose in that context, they just introduce the risk of serious injury or death.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Wibbs wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:42 pm There are zero reasons why live rounds should be anywhere near a film set.
The gun in question was an antique revolver. I've read that crew were using the gun for entertainment, shooting targets with real rounds between shoots.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:06 pm The gun in question was an antique revolver. I've read that crew were using the gun for entertainment, shooting targets with real rounds between shoots.
Ugh, if true, that's wild. The girl in charge of this was 24 - having kids in that age bracket I know they can be very mature in some ways and very daft in others. Well, I suppose that goes for us all, but still.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...