Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
Setanta

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by Setanta »

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/num ... 39435.html

Horrendous news outta cashel this evening....the rumours on WhatsApp are awlful....them kids in clonmel aren't even buried,and the establishment media are gonna make a circus of this again🤬
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
quodec

Post by quodec »

I've been driving for over 40 years now and hand on heart, I can honestly say the roads and the traffic on them, feel more dangerous now than I've ever felt before. Speed, people taking chances, mobile phone use in the car, lots of boy racers with drift marks on many roads, large numbers of cyclists (I know, they're entitled to road use as well), lack of visible enforcement and very busy roads overall, make the driving experience feel like a fee for all at times. It's just not safe out there.
RIP to all those recent deaths in Tipperary.
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

This has to be the worst year on record in Ireland for deaths on the road, it seems like every day I read about another one at least.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's tragic.
I don't think it's the worst year. Ireland used to have much higher road deaths than present, we have had a big reduction.
Some of that reduction may be reversing but I don't know the statistics.
It's frightening and saddening every time one hears these terrible things.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

In 2010 we had 47 per million road deaths.
In 2018 we had 30 per million road deaths.
In 2022 and first half of 2023 there has been a big increase on the previous years.

You can see the huge reduction here from decades ago. It was carnage in the 1970s. Drink driving laws helped. We need another round of strict enforcement of driver distraction/ carelessness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nd_by_year
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Cashel collision deaths were apparently rear seat passengers, two adults and infant. In a situation like this you'd have to question whether they were wearing seatbelts and was the infant in a child seat.

Clonmel collision seems like a case of utter stupidity - narrow road on outskirts of a town, probably 50 km/h limit, footpaths, entrances, junctions, roundabouts nearby. 24 year old driving a modern BMW with three 18 year old girls in it manages to crash into a wall roof first killing everyone on board.
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

isha wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:28 am It's tragic.
I don't think it's the worst year. Ireland used to have much higher road deaths than present, we have had a big reduction.
Some of that reduction may be reversing but I don't know the statistics.
It's frightening and saddening every time one hears these terrible things.
You're right, it's not the worst year by quite some margin too. It is trending upwards from the last two years at least so it's getting worse again unfortunately.

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/ ... -for-2023/
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I don't want to comment on specifics of the two most recent accidents but more so on the overall context.

Covid lockdowns caused acted as a marker in time where the roads were virtually empty and now where we have gone back to similar levels but is there a change? During lockdowns there was an increase in pedestrian deaths beacuse there were more walkers and the fewer drivers seemed to delight in driving as fast as possible in the empty roads.

On an overall context, is there more aggressive driving post lockdown? Are these same drivers thinking they can drive like the roads are empty?
Is it some post Covid anger or increased drug use?
I work from home now but I am hearing that it is more dangerous out there.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Mind bending coverage of the Cashel road tragedy on the radio all day. Andrea Gilligan asks "how are the people of Tipperary processing this?" and the local Sinn Fein councillor 'who knows the family well' is on again...It's tragic as is all accidental death but this sort of coverage is nauseating.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Setanta wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pm https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/num ... 39435.html

Horrendous news outta cashel this evening....the rumours on WhatsApp are awlful....them kids in clonmel aren't even buried,and the establishment media are gonna make a circus of this again🤬
What are the rumours?

Memorials should be erected at crash sites with the reason / cause of the crash on them.

Post by 95438756 »

French government banning escooter Rentals - Maybe our current FFG setup could take note although tourism chiefs may not be accepting
BBC News - Paris says au revoir to rental e-scooters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/esr ... ral%20Bank.

Ersi call for overdue payrises for poorer workers....watch now as the PC brigade & establishment work hand in hand to crush it
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:57 am https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/esr ... ral%20Bank.

Ersi call for overdue payrises for poorer workers....watch now as the PC brigade & establishment work hand in hand to crush it
You really need to establish a "PC Brigade" jar and put a fiver in every time you use it wrong.

You could buy the Cliffs of Moher.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:09 pm You really need to establish a "PC Brigade" jar and put a fiver in every time you use it wrong.

You could buy the Cliffs of Moher.
We'll see.....I'd be super surprised if they don't come out shouting down calls for payrises for ordinary people,worst affected by inflation......they want ordinary people to go hungry to appease the PC agenda

The far-left are a joke in this country
quodec

Post by quodec »

In Brussels today, some pie in the sky for Michael...

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:38 pm We'll see.....I'd be super surprised if they don't come out shouting down calls for payrises for ordinary people,worst affected by inflation......they want ordinary people to go hungry to appease the PC agenda

The far-left are a joke in this country
You genuinely don’t know what political correctness is.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:43 pm You genuinely don’t know what political correctness is.
Except I do?

Perhaps in place of snide comments aimed at silencing any opposition to the PC agenda,you could try discuss the issues raised🧐
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:50 pm Except I do?

Perhaps in place of snide comments aimed at silencing any opposition to the PC agenda,you could try discuss the issues raised🧐
Oh my dear, the fact you believe me to be “far left” and part of the “PC Brigade” leads me to believe debating any issue with yourself would be like having an arse kicking competion with a one legged man.

Have a great evening.

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:22 pm Oh my dear, the fact you believe me to be “far left” and part of the “PC Brigade” leads me to believe debating any issue with yourself would be like having an arse kicking competion with a one legged man.

Have a great evening.
Ah yes....unable to engage in the subject matter,the left resort to abuse and contemptuous dismissal to silence any opposition to the PC agenda
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Setanta, seriously, Plane speeKing is not PC.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:01 pm Setanta, seriously, Plane speeKing is not PC.
I used to be left wing when it meant being in a Union and voting Labour but that was 3 decades ago!!

Post by 95438756 »

At least there won't be as much Whataboutery and Blame Game like in Ireland.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Thank god the establishment got all them.millions for Garda overtime,country is so much safer now🤢
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Or just pay your fcking rent