Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:35 pm https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 00725.html

This person Stephen McCullagh, who is now arrested on suspicion of murdering Natalie McNally, it's just psychopathic how he planned it.
Seems like his attempted alibi is what got him. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

A 7.8 mag earthquake in Turkey/Syria some hours ago. At least 300 dead reported but it looks very bad and likely there will be many more dead. It's just a tragedy. We are so lucky here not to have catastrophic geology or weather.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

We are indeed lucky to live in such a hospitable area of the world.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Reports are saying thousands are likely to have been killed.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I think the toll may be shocking. Whole multistorey buildings collapsed in one go in the night in many different places.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:26 am

I think the toll may be shocking. Whole multistorey buildings collapsed in one go in the night in many different places.
Horrendous

Post by 678904673 »

1400 dead now. And that number is expected to rise. Absolutely shocking.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It is. I'm thinking of the hundreds if not thousands of people stuck under rubble who are alive now but can never be rescued in time. What psychic scars this kind of disaster must leave on nations. It's just horrific.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

There's been another huge earthquake in Turkey in the past half hour or so. 7.5 magnitude.

Post by 95438756 »

Personally glad that Rushdi survived the attack even though I have bought none of his works maybe I'll buy one of his publications on my birthday!
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64537770
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:52 am There's been another huge earthquake in Turkey in the past half hour or so. 7.5 magnitude.
As if the first wasn’t bad enough, Mother Nature can be cruel :(
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Sorry to be harping on about this. I think it is tragic. Death toll now 2300.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0206/13540 ... key-syria/

It's snowing in many affected places. There's no way their apartment blocks are safe. I don't know where they are going to get shelter. There was another large earthquake recently, a third. Not an aftershock. A separate quake. There's this fella I follow for ages on Twitter, a bit of a gom I generally thought, who has been going on for ages about backed up pressure in the global tectonic plates. Whatever is going on now in Turkey is not something that has happened in a very long time.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0206/13540 ... key-syria/
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Whole apartment blocks in smithereens. Absolutely flattened.
20230206_162146.jpg
20230206_162146.jpg (275.42 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the buildings. The issue is they have a lot of building regulations about how it's to be built (earthquake safe and not collapse) but very little enforcement.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Buildings are just completely collapsing in one go hours after the earthquakes. How can they trust to go inside anywhere?

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's so sad what is going on in Turkey. They are still getting people out even now, which is miraculous. But the death toll is nearly 10,000 and I have seen suggestions it could rise more than 100,000+ with the numbers missing.
How could some of these buildings withstand and some beside them that look the same just collapse to nothing?
All the billions and trillions that are poured into war right now on earth, and yet there are too many places in Turkey and Syria where help just hasn't come in time.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/0208 ... ria-quake/
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:00 am It's so sad what is going on in Turkey. They are still getting people out even now, which is miraculous. But the death toll is nearly 10,000 and I have seen suggestions it could rise more than 100,000+ with the numbers missing.
How could some of these buildings withstand and some beside them that look the same just collapse to nothing?
All the billions and trillions that are poured into war right now on earth, and yet there are too many places in Turkey and Syria where help just hasn't come in time.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/0208 ... ria-quake/
Would be a good time for America and the EU to suspend sanctions against Syria if they had any fooking humanity in them Syria is in a really bad way at the moment.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

If all the aid went to the people, I imagine sanctions would be suspended. The US and EU are afraid that Assad would keep the aid and not give it to those suffering in "rebel" held areas
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That's mad, Ted

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pol ... 37897.html

LEINSTER House authorities have been asked to urgently remove Chinese-made surveillance cameras from their buildings over concerns that TDs and Senators are being spied upon.

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) wrote to the Oireachtas, the Office of Public Works and political party leaders on Friday, seeking the urgent removal of all cameras manufactured by Chinese government backed Hikvision.

The surveillance cameras were installed across the Irish parliamentary precinct several years ago, and concerns have previously been raised about the potential security risk as the company is controversial. As well as being backed by the Chinese state, it has been implicated in human rights violations against Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang province.

Last week the Australian government announced it planned to remove more than 900 Chinese-made security cameras from government buildings across the country amid a potential security risk. Denmark, the UK and the US have already banned Hivision’s use and the European Parliament removed the company’s cameras from its buildings in 2021.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

isha wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:26 am That's mad, Ted

So the Cisco gear with the NSA backdoors is fine. Let's pretend Google, Microsoft, Apple etc don't spy on us all and that the device in our pockets isn't being tracked!
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:56 am So the Cisco gear with the NSA backdoors is fine. Let's pretend Google, Microsoft, Apple etc don't spy on us all and that the device in our pockets isn't being tracked!
Yeah but Hikvision is just as good as opening up your system to the world.
Crazy how big a seller they are worldwide when their kit is so open.

Question is do you trust the Chinese above the Americans?
I know which have been better for this country.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

jmayo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:05 pm Yeah but Hikvision is just as good as opening up your system to the world.
Crazy how big a seller they are worldwide when their kit is so open.

Question is do you trust the Chinese above the Americans?
I know which have been better for this country.
Yeah, not denying that, I work in the electronic security industry and wouldn't get away with Hik on a corporate install for many years. Their cameras are fine, can be integrated well with Milestone, Avigilon and other systems, it's the recorders you need to worry about and we do not know they are using Hik recorders

My comment was about the way the article was casting shade on the Chinese spying when they're all at it!!!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:26 am That's mad, Ted

And never a word in media about mi5 having a spy senior in civil service

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northern ... t-2952247/

This come up abstractly in shite talk after a meeting I attended other night,and the potential likelyhood this individual was behind leaking of golfgate (to have Hogan sacked for brexit negotiations),and leaking of locations of direct provision centres recently to spread discontent in areas when shinners are strong to provoke reaction and split/curtail their rise

I felt the first was likely,but latter unlikely
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Anybody remember Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

It was a sci fi film from the 1970s, plot was that the US Government planted false reports in the media that a train derailed spilling a deadly toxic gas, in order to distract from UFO activity.

Pretty far fetched movie plot as clearly the US government has no motivation to conceal their strategies for dealing with UFOs, given that currently all the media reports are of the US shooting UFOs out of the sky!!

Edit - just noticed there's a dedicated UFO thread on this, will repost there!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Actually, on second thoughts, best not derail the UFO thread...