Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by CelticRambler »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pmthe rising numbers of HIV cases that are in Ireland - a spike that exactly corresponds with higher numbers of people from Africa.
:?: Quite the logical leap there PS. One child from India dies from a common bacterial infection two months after arriving in Dublin, but somehow that can be linked to the rise of a viral disease transmitted primarily through unprotected, indiscriminate sexual behaviour and i-v drug use, which coincides with the arrival of a greater-than-previous number of people from Africa.

Funny that you should draw that conclusion, rather than think it might have something to do with the current increase in Strep A infections being reported across Ireland, Britain and France and tentatively linked to the lack of "healthy" cross-contamination due to Covid lockdown policies.
The observed increases reported to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and WHO Regional Office for Europe and have followed a period of reduced incidence of Group A Streptococcus infections observed during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is likely that the increase in iGAS cases in children is also associated with the recent increased circulation of respiratory viruses, including seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as coinfection of viruses with Group A Streptococcus may increase the risk of invasive disease (iGAS).  
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm just not able to relate to the attitude that hears a story about a poor child dying, possibly needlessly from Strep A, and jumps straight past any trace of shock or sorrow to thoughts of migrants bringing in their "diseases".

I don't even mind as a general idea that people coming to live in a new place should get proper medical evaluation. They should. Though such medical precision is certainly not being applied to the massive movement of people daily via global tourism.

It's just the reflex and frankly in my opinion unnatural attitude/reaction to such a tragic story that makes me feel repulsed.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I think that the unfortunate family who lost their daughter was just unlucky. Millions, if not billions of people worldwide carry Strep A without any ill effect, it needs a certain set of circumstances to occur before it becomes lethal. Experts in the field have placed the blame for its rapid spread on a lack of immunity in our children, caused by not being exposed to certain illnesses. This is put down to lockdowns and kids being mollycoddled, excessive hygiene measures, and not enough physical activity in children. My generation was raised in muck, we knew little of antibiotics or hygiene, and consequently picked up every bug that was going. This wasn't a universally good thing, kids got sick and some even died but the vast majority had limited exposure and built immunity, I suppose this is part of the natural selection process.
There is, however, something to be said for vetting of people coming into the country from places with chronic illness problems and the Government's apparent inability to learn from past mistakes. We all remember the Cheltenham incident and the Ireland-Italy rugby game, when tens of thousands of people were allowed free access to the country from areas with huge Covid numbers, at a time when we knew little about Covid or treatment for it. This was criminal negligence in my view and now we have a similar situation with China opening up and the Western world's total ignorance of what variants of Covid are in existence there, but our Government just turn a blind eye to it.

Post by 95438756 »

Will ex barzilian president bolsanero publish NFT cards?
BBC News - Bolsonaro fans flock to ex-president's Florida hideout
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-64231244
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

It seems toys are being thrown on all sides.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0111/13459 ... rly-visit/

Mary Lou has been told yes to O'Neill to meet (as she's head in NI Assembly) but no to Mary Lou. SF then get the hump.

SF tend to forget that there's a large resentment among SF voters in NI to Mary Lou coming up from the south telling them what to do when she's not elected in NI. I've heard that from multiple friends in NI who would be SF/SDLP voters.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Jeffrey Donaldson is a politician in Westminster not Stormont if Mary Lou isn't welcome at the talks then either should Donaldson. But really nobody should be excluded, the Brits up to their old tricks again
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Here we go again, most likely a brave jihadi protesting cartoons or some such. News outlets are being dreadfully careful not to release any details whatsoever of the assailant but he was thankfully 'neutralised' by the Police.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/0111 ... s-station/
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cyclepath wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm Here we go again, most likely a brave jihadi protesting cartoons or some such. News outlets are being dreadfully careful not to release any details whatsoever of the assailant but he was thankfully 'neutralised' by the Police.
Plenty of detail closer to home (source: Le Figaro):
L'homme qui a blessé plusieurs personnes à l'arme blanche mercredi à la gare du Nord, dans le 10e arrondissement de Paris, était visé par une obligation de quitter le territoire français (OQTF) depuis l'été 2022. Le suspect ne possédait pas de documents d'identité sur lui au moment de son interpellation. Âgé d'une vingtaine d'années, il pourrait s'agir d'un Libyen ou d'un Algérien précise le parquet. Cet individu arrivé en France en 2019 a été confondu par ses empreintes. A priori fiché pour des affaires de droits communs, il était logé en Seine-Saint-Denis et aurait fait de la prison, ce que la justice n'avait pas confirmé mercredi soir.
Typical case of someone who'd gravitated to the absolute worst part of France (Seine-Saint-Denis, the infamous "93" where the British football fans were set upon a while back), was "known to gardaí" as you might say, and had already been told to feck off back to where he came from. Not much different to your average Dublin/Limerick scumbag living in Spain.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:53 pm Jeffrey Donaldson is a politician in Westminster not Stormont if Mary Lou isn't welcome at the talks then either should Donaldson. But really nobody should be excluded, the Brits up to their old tricks again
Don't forget that Donaldson is elected by the people in NI. That's why he was asked. MLMD isn't elected by any people in NI, she's the head of opposition in a different country's parliament. Why meet the head of opposition of an different country before meeting the prime minister of that country. That's where the Brits were going.

Personally, as I said, toys being thrown by all sides. This needs everyone (and I mean everyone) locked in a room and not let out until there's an agreement. This does nothing.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:32 pm Don't forget that Donaldson is elected by the people in NI. That's why he was asked. MLMD isn't elected by any people in NI, she's the head of opposition in a different country's parliament. Why meet the head of opposition of an different country before meeting the prime minister of that country. That's where the Brits were going.

Personally, as I said, toys being thrown by all sides. This needs everyone (and I mean everyone) locked in a room and not let out until there's an agreement. This does nothing.
Gerry Adams was invited to a leaders meeting there,when in dail and still leader of SF :?:

The British government deosnt know,nor care how politics works here is the biggest issue,ni and it's protocol is an oversized pain in arse for em.
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Setanta wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm Gerry Adams was invited to a leaders meeting there,when in dail and still leader of SF :?:

The British government deosnt know,nor care how politics works here is the biggest issue,ni and it's protocol is an oversized pain in arse for em.
Oh I agree, all have to talk.

I think you are on the right track with it's a pain in the arse but I think for the British Government, the whole thing is a minor irritant that has swamped more time than it's worth. I think they see it as minor given the economic issues and instability they are having. It's us on the island that see it as a big issue.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Beep, Beep, the big Tory bus is coming for the DUP
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

All O Donoghue needed in his speech today was Gormon or some other idiot on their party. I thought I was watching a David Williams Little Britain sketch for a second.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 87027.html

I don't know why this article says sexual assault when it should say rape. Sexual assault is a spectrum that may not involve rape. This man was gang raped by three men, while he was out walking his dog at 7.30 pm on the 7th January in Belfast.
The police give detailed descriptions of the rapists heights and the colours of their outfits. I'm so cross about this.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:04 am https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 87027.html

I don't know why this article says sexual assault when it should say rape. Sexual assault is a spectrum that may not involve rape. This man was gang raped by three men, while he was out walking his dog at 7.30 pm on the 7th January in Belfast.
The police give detailed descriptions of the rapists heights and the colours of their outfits. I'm so cross about this.
How about this one?

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... urt-hears/

I remember this case being before the courts but I must have missed the sentencing because I surely would have remembered this.
Just what sort of reasoning was applied here? I know what it says in English but just what would prompt anybody to think that way, are they just looking for some way to excuse these fcukers?
Really, something needs to be done about our Judicial system, not only are the practices and traditions of another era, the Judges are of another world.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Loughrea type of case is what incenses me most about uncontrolled immigration from within and without the EU. The EU is not a single State and we should not allow criminals enter our country from any other country - EU member or not. Try entering the USA from Ireland with a criminal record and see how far you get.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:52 am The Loughrea type of case is what incenses me most about uncontrolled immigration from within and without the EU. The EU is not a single State and we should not allow criminals enter our country from any other country - EU member or not. Try entering the USA from Ireland with a criminal record and see how far you get.
We've a Polish guy living down the road from us. Nice guy, very obliging, hard working, salt of the earth, type. My one gripe is that he has been driving the same Polish-registered BMW for the last eight years, since he moved in. How is this? The law says you must register, pay VRT and tax an imported car within 6 months of coming to live in Ireland. What's the difference here? I know he's been stopped by Gardaí, because he was at a checkpoint ahead of me. I know he's in paid employment, I know his children are in school, and I know his wife works part time. He's a tradesman, he earns good money, looks after his family, makes improvements to his house and garden and is generally a good neighbour. So what's the story with the car? Is it just that AGS are so incompetent that they can't work out the car is an import, I know they were looking for a Polish guy called "Driving Licence" for months for motoring offences, is this a case of the same? Is there some exemption for Poles, because his is not the only one I've seen? Does anybody have the answer?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:04 am https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 87027.html

A friend of mine works for a men's sexual health charity and has said it is simple - when it happens to a female, rape is used even when an encounter was consenual but then the "victim" was intoxicated, or there was no penetration just an unwanted touch.

Whereas with men - it is always sexual assault in the case of a gang rape like this.

It is more nonsense to make women perennial victims and make out that men do not suffer.

It's abhorrent.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Enjoyed this
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

RTE, the ministry of propaganda. Can't believe she actually said that

Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

That's both embarrassing and worrying.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Mirabeau wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:35 am That's both embarrassing and worrying.
What’s even more worrying is that the majority of people are too stupid or too lazy to not see through it.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

It's such bad acting as well.
I like my propaganda to be well presented and professional.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

If she lost her job tomorrow she would have no problem getting a new job in Pyongyang
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Six antifa extremists charged with domestic terrorism after fiery protests in Atlanta…. Mostly peaceful though I’m sure.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/six ... nta-riots/