Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by 95438756 »

British Pair killed trying their own evacuation in Ukraine
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64394105

Post by 95438756 »

Banned now by Russia, because it apparently "does not have the correct registration"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64402929
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

SF were hopping up and down about Pascal getting a job done for free while they were "forgetting" to pay their own bills (and thus getting something for free). What's that phrase about stones in Glasshouses?
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:49 pm SF were hopping up and down about Pascal getting a job done for free while they were "forgetting" to pay their own bills (and thus getting something for free). What's that phrase about stones in Glasshouses?
Which party is under investigation by SIPO? This is the propaganda machine attempting to distract from the blatant corruption and cronyism that the FG cartel has demonstrated. The country has seen exactly what FG stand for and it's not Ireland or its people, it's for developers & vulture funds. Scandal after scandal, time after time.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Fairly easy to see how likes of haughey and bertie got so brazen,when we have a substantial portion of the media and political class,whom still regard ethics/political donation legislation as an irrelevant timesink so long person breaching em is regarded as sound
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 pm Which party is under investigation by SIPO? This is the propaganda machine attempting to distract from the blatant corruption and cronyism that the FG cartel has demonstrated. The country has seen exactly what FG stand for and it's not Ireland or its people, it's for developers & vulture funds. Scandal after scandal, time after time.
TBF shinners do have qs to answer,letting bills go unpaid is a poor look...... FG will be embroiled in another mess of their own making by valentine's day....the wheels have utterly come off that particular political wagon,all their policies are coming home to roost with their inevitable disasterous effect
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Questions need to be asked as to what 'great' republicans like SF were doing holding a meeting in the Royal Irish Academy?
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 pm Which party is under investigation by SIPO? This is the propaganda machine attempting to distract from the blatant corruption and cronyism that the FG cartel has demonstrated. The country has seen exactly what FG stand for and it's not Ireland or its people, it's for developers & vulture funds. Scandal after scandal, time after time.
Ah you have to laugh at it. SF foaming at the mouth about Pascal getting a job for free and SF getting free stuff by "forgetting" the bills. I haven't mentioned the Dowdall donation to MLMD being clarified as a donation to herself when they claimed it was a donation to the party.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:07 am Ah you have to laugh at it. SF foaming at the mouth about Pascal getting a job for free and SF getting free stuff by "forgetting" the bills. I haven't mentioned the Dowdall donation to MLMD being clarified as a donation to herself when they claimed it was a donation to the party.
You're having a laugh if you think it's just about election posters, it's much deeper than that. It's the crony appointments to bodies responsible for regeneration of parts of the city and actually lobbying against and blocking the using public land for social building. It's the millions of government contracts just given out companies of friends willing to just put up election posters. It's the unofficial 2 hour private meeting with the minister for finance (undocumented) that nobody else gets. The cronyism runs all the way to the top
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

And SF won't do that? Do t make me laugh! Geez look at their record in the north.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:54 am And SF won't do that? Do t make me laugh! Geez look at their record in the north.
But, but, but, SF, the default answer to pointing out cronyism among the establishment parties. That's going to work well at the next election just like it did last time
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:02 am But, but, but, SF, the default answer to pointing out cronyism among the establishment parties. That's going to work well at the next election just like it did last time
Your quare naive,if yous think SF will ever be allowed in government here......given all that's gone on these last 20 or so years,the whole establishment will work together to keep em out,each and every party is knee-deep in cronyism and can't afford to have it exposed or their supporters/business backers put under squeeze and forced to repay ill-gotten gains made off it
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Setanta wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:09 am Your quare naive,if yous think SF will ever be allowed in government here......given all that's gone on these last 20 or so years,the whole establishment will work together to keep em out,each and every party is knee-deep in cronyism and can't afford to have it exposed or their supporters/business backers put under squeeze and forced to repay ill-gotten gains made off it
I can't wait for the next election canvassers from FG or FF to come to my door to try to convince me they're not the same party. I'm not a SF supporter, I'm just anti establishment FFG
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:35 am I can't wait for the next election canvassers from FG or FF to come to my door to try to convince me they're not the same party. I'm not a SF supporter, I'm just anti establishment FFG
I'm glad to say that in the sixteen years at my current address I have never had to deal with canvassers. I see nobody without prior arrangement save for the postman and various couriers. A couple of years back I could hear canvassers at the door - over the intercom - but didn't feel the urge to go down and engage with them. Their leaflets go straight into the recycling. If I want contact with politicians I contact them. I wasn't included in the last census and my disengagement with the Irish establishment is a work in progress. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Del.Monte on Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:35 am I can't wait for the next election canvassers from FG or FF to come to my door to try to convince me they're not the same party. I'm not a SF supporter, I'm just anti establishment FFG
It deosnt matter who yous elect,or don't ...unless you fundamentally challenge the core principle of the establishment your going nowhere

Realistically in Ireland,such a core is so well established,that you will need an approach the Communists in Russia adopted to achieve it.....we are dealing with generations and generations of rot,and zero standards....our media is willing to bat away all sorts of law breaking,if it's from the establishment,they'll do same if SF ended up in power...

You can/will never achieve change,in dail eireann....the likes of Dan breen didn't mess about waiting for dail approval to take on the ric at solohead,(was actually condemned by the dail)....you won't ever achieve any change here at ballot box,nothing changes here for decades....SF aren't the future yous think they are,they have well earned right to fail/be in power mind,but can you really imagine likes of pearse Doherty and Matty Kenny,holding decades of cronyism to account and recouping tax payers money off those who have benefited from privatisation...I can't anyway

Though I know she's only a senator,I do like cut of this one's gib,she's more competent than 90% of present TDs

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

How bad is this going to get?

Cant be too many families unaffected in some shape by this....god it would turn your stomach such petty callousness againest the elderly by those supposed to run the country......tribunal certainly unavoidable here

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Think about it for a second. It's people looking to get the government to pay for their private medical healthcare. If it's successful, it'll mean that the government will have to pay for all private medical care, including my own VHI.

Yes, I'm entitled to get my operations done under the public system but to skip the queues, I have paid for private health. It's the same thing
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

No, the State and successive Governments ripped off elderly citizens and their families by unlawfully charging them for nursing home care. Many sold land or went into debt to pay the bills
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Taking that logic, I've been illegally charged for MRI's that I paid for when I needed them. Yes I could have waited for the public one after a few months but with a busted shoulder, I needed it urgently.

Same situation
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:23 pm Taking that logic, I've been illegally charged for MRI's that I paid for when I needed them. Yes I could have waited for the public one after a few months but with a busted shoulder, I needed it urgently.

Same situation
Did you voluntarily pay for these MRIs?
(Personal feel healthcare is a human right and should be free to all)

Anyhoo,did the folk who were put up into these nursing homes voluntarily pay or have any option but to pay?

,because it looks on first view, like state blaggarded people out of money and undertook an appeal process,similar to planks ban appeal,designed to frustrate so people wouldn't bother/be able to
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Yep a nasty tactic where refunds were being put ‘out of reach’ of older people and a lot depended on their ability to take legal action
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Looks like the Galway Ring Road is sent back to planning for climate issues. The environmentalists are happy and shouting "public transport and sustainable transport for all". Can these explain how the lack of a ring road will improve Galway when companies are having massive trouble attracting skilled staff due to traffic. Sure I turned down a science job in Galway 7 years ago due to the traffic.

Also, how will the delivery companies use public transport? Will the farmers be able to put their milk/beef/butter on the bus?

Talk about stupidity......
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

A relative (bachelor, no children) was in a private nursing home (no space in public) from about 2005 to 2010. His state pension and savings paid for it but the savings were almost exhausted towards the end, he was lucky that the Fair Deal scheme came in then. If it hadn't, I don't know what would have happened.

Pre Fair Deal, he had been refused any financial assistance as he owned a relatively valuable house but that house could not be sold as he did not have capacity to make that decision and hadn't setup an enduring power of attorney. There was talk of needing to make him a ward of court. The whole process was extremely stressful for my mother who was his next of kin. The HSE were arseholes to deal with. And even though he had been refused a place in a public NH, somehow other people, with political/HSE connections ended up getting in. Good ole Ireland.

I looked back through old correspondence from his solicitor and found something about how it was the HSE had placed him in the private NH rather than the family placing him and how that was important.

If I thought I could get some money for his estate now I would. Not because any of the beneficiaries would really care (most are dead) but more on principle after the stress the HSE put my mother through.

Post by 95438756 »

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the Columbia shuttle disaster, when it broke up.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 00725.html

This person Stephen McCullagh, who is now arrested on suspicion of murdering Natalie McNally, it's just psychopathic how he planned it.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...