Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by schmittel »

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:18 pm I think you've hit the nail on the head there....only issue happening is that soc dems have done what media hoped SF would do all along and cannabalise the left vote

Everyone who would one time never ever contemplate it,are voting/intending to vote SF nowadays,SF have cannabalised the FF vote that went to FG in 2011....this isn't an inherently left wing vote ,it's nationlistic,seeks improvements for all,and works on type of parish-pump/local issues approach,of which the government parties have long conceded ground on local issues to 'campaign groups' and used media to deride TDs engaging in it...

(hence how a government TD who was horrified to have a bag of dung dropped near her recently at a protest meeting,and had to run to media to demonise those she was unable to face down)
I agree SF surge is not an inherently left vote, but neither do I think it's a nationalistic vote. I think it is simply a TINA (there is no alternative) vote.

A party with a young articulate photogenic leader is the ideal vehicle for the media to get behind and try and mop this vote up.

If they run enough candidates in enough constituencies I think they will keep SF out of next government.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Young female Premiers are all the rage now. Holly is 33 which makes her 20 years younger than Mary Lou.

Jacinda Ardern is 42. but she was 37 when she took office, Sanna Marin is now 37 but was 34 when she took office. It wouldn't take much of a media push behind Holly Cairns to make it happen...
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

All she ever will be at best is at the helm with ff and fg. Her wings will be clipped and that will be that.
This country is in the sewer and housing that she thinks she will solve is a fairytale.
Only one way to solve housing and that’s stop importing gimmigrants and fakeugees. That won’t happen either.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:31 pm Young female Premiers are all the rage now. Holly is 33 which makes her 20 years younger than Mary Lou.

Jacinda Ardern is 42. but she was 37 when she took office, Sanna Marin is now 37 but was 34 when she took office. It wouldn't take much of a media push behind Holly Cairns to make it happen...
Seriously ?
The SDs are a fringe party, are pro current immigration madness, make some soundbites, but nothing else.

The future growth area is conservativism particularly with regards the open borders lunacy, overly generous welfare, antisocial behaviour and crime.

Sadly all the past and current Irish conservatives give a fook about is who is shagging whom.
Someone has to tell them that boat has long since sailed.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The SD did the right thing in picking a young leader. The previous pair were seen as some of the old guard. If Holly Cairns and the SD were clever, they would have a few reasonable core policies and stop jumping on every bandwagon. They should take a leaf from SF playbook, a few core ideas repeated with some catchy phrases.

How they have (what appears to be) a reasonable leader, I'd seriously think about giving them my first preference vote. I've said it before but I'd never vote SF as their economic policies would bankrupt the country. The alphabet soup of the far left are just daft. I'd never vote FF as they did bankrupt the country. I was left with Labour (no candidates) or FG. I may have a reasonable alternative now (policy dependant)
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

schmittel wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:27 pm I agree SF surge is not an inherently left vote, but neither do I think it's a nationalistic vote. I think it is simply a TINA (there is no alternative) vote.

A party with a young articulate photogenic leader is the ideal vehicle for the media to get behind and try and mop this vote up.

If they run enough candidates in enough constituencies I think they will keep SF out of next government.
Wouldn't be nationlistic in way,say they'd be picking up armalite and heading out in dark of night,but they would have a concern for direction/state of the country....whereas large amounts of other voters wouldnt care,once they were looked after/OK

Be interesting to see can they muster enough candidates,be very interesting to see cut of her mettle to withstand pressure from cultural hedgemony,and talk of hurlers on the ditch etc etc and can she build a party with enough numbers to challenge establishment......SF have hit a wall in candidate selection in many constituencies and are releaning back into slow/steady build of numbers.....for soc dems to get to level required,would require a media buyin to level never seen before :ugeek:
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

WTF was I listening to on the news with shit like this?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/poli ... 86804.html

Talk about killing the town centre!

400% increase in parking charges, congestion charges of €10, workers have to pay for parking......
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:33 pm WTF was I listening to on the news with shit like this?

400% increase in parking charges, congestion charges of €10, workers have to pay for parking......
Them fellows letting on to be outraged etc are some gowls,they are ones keeping Eamonn Ryan there :lol:
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:35 pm Them fellows letting on to be outraged etc are some gowls,they are ones keeping Eamonn Ryan there :lol:
Sure how the feck am I supposed to get to Ringaskiddy for work at 7:00 ish in the morning when the first bus gets there at 7:30. As I've to get into Cork first to get that bus, I'd be leaving home at 5:45 to arrive at 8:45. It's a 25 min drive.....
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:33 pm Wouldn't be nationlistic in way,say they'd be picking up armalite and heading out in dark of night,but they would have a concern for direction/state of the country....whereas large amounts of other voters wouldnt care,once they were looked after/OK

Be interesting to see can they muster enough candidates,be very interesting to see cut of her mettle to withstand pressure from cultural hedgemony,and talk of hurlers on the ditch etc etc and can she build a party with enough numbers to challenge establishment......SF have hit a wall in candidate selection in many constituencies and are releaning back into slow/steady build of numbers.....for soc dems to get to level required,would require a media buyin to level never seen before :ugeek:
I see your point re nationalistic vote.

I don't think SDs have a hope in hell of being 30%+ in the polls, drawing level with SF and threatening to lead the next government. Nowhere near.

What I am getting at is the media push will get behind them to nullify the threat of an SF government, though obviously they won't explicitly state this.

All they need to do is big up Holly Cairns and her young forward looking etc party, make them attractive to candidates as well as voters, SDs rustle up a few acceptable enough candidates, run them cross country and pick up enough protest first preferences, the kind of young, middle class vote that is took SF from 25% to 35% in polls.

if they managed that, and no reason why they couldn't with tacit media backing, they will pick up enough TDs to go into a coalition with FF/FG. Job done as far as media concerned.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:29 pm The SD did the right thing in picking a young leader. The previous pair were seen as some of the old guard. If Holly Cairns and the SD were clever, they would have a few reasonable core policies and stop jumping on every bandwagon. They should take a leaf from SF playbook, a few core ideas repeated with some catchy phrases.

How they have (what appears to be) a reasonable leader, I'd seriously think about giving them my first preference vote. I've said it before but I'd never vote SF as their economic policies would bankrupt the country. The alphabet soup of the far left are just daft. I'd never vote FF as they did bankrupt the country. I was left with Labour (no candidates) or FG. I may have a reasonable alternative now (policy dependant)
Totally agree with all of this.

I'm middle aged, middle class, centre right sort of voter, not exactly a demographic that the SDs would be seeking to embrace, but if there was an election tomorrow, I'd probably give them my first preference solely on the grounds that all the alternative votes are worse.

Previously I'd have had a concern about the whole Shortfall/Murphy leadership.

Now they've sorted that out, the only thing that would give me pause is some of the more idealistic woke bandwagon stuff they're prone to virtue signal with.

If they could cut that out and concentrate on some decent policies, I wouldn't hesitate voting for them first preference. Hell, I'd even be tempted to run for them!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

schmittel wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:12 pm I see your point re nationalistic vote.

I don't think SDs have a hope in hell of being 30%+ in the polls, drawing level with SF and threatening to lead the next government. Nowhere near.

What I am getting at is the media push will get behind them to nullify the threat of an SF government, though obviously they won't explicitly state this.

All they need to do is big up Holly Cairns and her young forward looking etc party, make them attractive to candidates as well as voters, SDs rustle up a few acceptable enough candidates, run them cross country and pick up enough protest first preferences, the kind of young, middle class vote that is took SF from 25% to 35% in polls.

if they managed that, and no reason why they couldn't with tacit media backing, they will pick up enough TDs to go into a coalition with FF/FG. Job done as far as media concerned.
SF will never ever be allowed into government,the establishment have too much to lose and what they've allowed go on in privatisation over 20 to 30 years,would make an African dictator blush....so will work together to keep em out

The entire sub base youth vote for SF is emigrating en-mass and most are unlikely to return in medium term,given the lack of opportunities here for em,I feel the soc dems will be in similar position as regards younger voters

the long-standing media efforts and willing them to either almagamate with labour,or become a sort of continuity labour party,without long established union connections....

It's hard to see it work,as they are essentially dividing that vote,and needing people to not realise a vastly more public appearing Gary Gannon is an idiot,his position on odevaney gardens is going to be their Ivana bacik still defending austerity and what labour done during recession....won't cut much slack with a public sick shit of failed efforts to solve a housing crisis over last 8 to 10 years
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Listened to Claire Byrne's interview of Holly Cairns the other day, sounded very lightweight and naiive. I would probably vote SD if they fielded a candidate in my area, always had a sneaking regard for Roisin Shortall, and as it is I am disenfranchised because I will not vote for any of the remaining parties. However, I'd need to be a little bit more convinced by Cairns.
Jack The Stripper

Sinn Fein don’t want to be in government either only play hurling from the ditch.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Pretty hard to justify in present circumstances,if the government end up renting places that people were put out of,to house Ukrainians being shipped out of hotels......

there will end up riots on the streets during the summer....I think they have misread the room badly
Jack The Stripper

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:27 pm

Pretty hard to justify in present circumstances,if the government end up renting places that people were put out of,to house Ukrainians being shipped out of hotels......

there will end up riots on the streets during the summer....I think they have misread the room badly
That’s what is going to happen, like I have said before Irish are third class citizens now.

1st class = fakeugees ( so called Ukrainians )
2nd class = gimmigrants ( yahoos )
3rd class = Irish ( clown paddy paying for the upper two classes )
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:33 pm WTF was I listening to on the news with shit like this?

And then the fool doubles down and tries to dismiss one reasonable plan to get people out of cars.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41086711.html

Geez that man is stupid....
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 am And then the fool doubles down and tries to dismiss one reasonable plan to get people out of cars.

What is the point of having public services,if you don't want the public to use em

Bloke don't want cars,or people to use public transport..... completely away with fairies

Post by 95438756 »

DAA will get anti drone tech for dublin airport
https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0306/13606 ... n-airport/
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Fairly obvious that this would have to end as this only decreased the number of houses to rent and drove landlords out of the market.

"Leopard ate my face" comes to mind with the vilification of landlords and the total pro-tenant legalisation......
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 am And then the fool doubles down and tries to dismiss one reasonable plan to get people out of cars.

No he's not. He's a fcuking raving fantasist. The people who are stupid are the ones who, having had experience of what he was like before, decided it would be a good idea to give him another go.
I'm pretty sure there are enough able body citizens, who, if they came upon him with his head in the sand, could sit on him until the tide came in.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

What could be done really? It was a situation that couldn't be allowed to continue, hard cases make bad law and there were people who were making a mockery of the law, people who had made no effort to pay rent or mortgages for years before the current problems began.
I don't have an axe to grind in this, I'm not a landlord, I don't know any landlords, I do realise there are hard cases and I also realise there are scammers
Jack The Stripper

The eviction ban if continued shouldn’t cover tenants who don’t pay their rent.
What landlords want now is fill their properties up with gimmigrants and fakeugees and get their monthly income guaranteed by the state.
Hotels will reap the summer tourist trade and return to take in yahoos for the coming winter, everyone is a winner unless you’re Irish.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:25 am The eviction ban if continued shouldn’t cover tenants who don’t pay their rent.
What landlords want now is fill their properties up with gimmigrants and fakeugees and get their monthly income guaranteed by the state.
Hotels will reap the summer tourist trade and return to take in yahoos for the coming winter, everyone is a winner unless you’re Irish.
That is very accurate and very scary.

There is a hotel in my town that spent a fortune on converting the back area/smoking section to a beer garden.

We spent a lot of money in there from late 2020 to when pubs were back to normal, nowhere else to go under Covid rules, could only drink outside.

He's now packed full of these scamming fckers and is closed "to all but residents" (fakugees and the darkest fcking Ukranians you've ever seen).

I personally hope whe (if?) the Government get some sense that he goes tits up and loses everything. Greedy bstard.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Jack The Stripper

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:20 pm That is very accurate and very scary.

There is a hotel in my town that spent a fortune on converting the back area/smoking section to a beer garden.

We spent a lot of money in there from late 2020 to when pubs were back to normal, nowhere else to go under Covid rules, could only drink outside.

He's now packed full of these scamming fckers and is closed "to all but residents" (fakugees and the darkest fcking Ukranians you've ever seen).

I personally hope whe (if?) the Government get some sense that he goes tits up and loses everything. Greedy bstard.
It’s not going to go tits up because they are importing votes. Mark my words every fakeugee and gimmigrant will have a vote in the next elections.
It’s the great replacement and it’s working.