Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Seán FitzPatrick dies

The burning issues of the day
schmittel
Verified Username

Seán FitzPatrick dies

Post by schmittel »

Former Anglo boss dies of a heart attack.

Seán FitzPatrick, the former chairman of Anglo Irish Bank, has died at the age of 73.

A spokesman for Mr FitzPatrick’s family confirmed that he died on Monday and the cause of death was cardiac arrest. Arrangements will be announced in due course.
This will surely test the old courtesies of not speaking ill of the dead.

Re: Seán FitzPatrick dies

Post by 95438756 »

Our man Seanie. Aul skin. Good Few of his ilk stay around. Will developers change the way they do dealing?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I don't relish in his death but he should have spent the last several years behind bars. An absolute crook.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

How many of the auld crooks got jail for their financial meanderings........0
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's weird because I like current affairs but I totally zoned out on all that stuff with banks, bondholders, the collapse of Celtic tiger etc. It seemed like everything before and after was a bit insane and I just did me gardening etc. I know hardly anything about it.

I think being a long-impoverished post- colonised people makes us very susceptible to the harms of money and being sucked in to the general schemes around it.

I know dont speak ill of the dead is an ancient Greek phrase supposed to mean they cannot defend themselves. But I think there is something else there, a warning to the speaker that one never knows what pits lie in front for oneself and don't be gloating over others until you have cleared the obstacle course of life yourself.
There are some utterly evil people for whom I dont uphold post-mortem customs, not that I would deliberately be dancing on graves. More like in a historical sense I would freely say someone like Jimny Saville was a monster. But people who were part of some wider madness in the world about money, I am not so angry about. Although on the other hand one could say people committed suicide due to over stretching themselves and dispossessions and all. Money is an alluring bastard of a yoke.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

It was a well known fact that the banks were going to fold well before it was announced in september of 2008, and the golden circle were well prepared for it, and we are going to be paying for decades, thats the legacy that seany boy and his friends left us. He left as much pain to families as any pedo did.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

I think Voltaires quote applies here: To the living. we owe consideration, to the dead, we owe only the truth

That said, It wasn't Seanie who made the call to not to burn senior bond holders.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Seanie was fined 25k for doing nothing? ;)
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Fook him.

He presided over a corruptly run enterprise.
Yeah yeah we know he was never found guilty of diddly squat.
But no one in Ireland ever is. :roll:

He was taking director loans not telling auditors (supposedly) and breaching company law or at least the company law that applies to lesser types.
He managed to get his loans to then cover those of his kids, and he went bankrupt.

Yet his bank had loans of billions with no security and we the normal taxpayers ended up covering them.
Yeah yeah NAMA and it sold loans, but what was the ultimate cost of it.

Anglo was a basket case, a black hole that screwed almost every family in the state bar miraculously a few connected ones that still ended up doing ok out of it.

He was an arrogant fooker who thought he could do what he wanted, and indeed he did, all with the aid of his connections.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The man should be buried in an unmarked grave.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:32 pm The man should be buried in an unmarked grave.
Alongside Paddy the Plaster and his brown paper bags.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

jmayo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:08 pm Fook him.

He presided over a corruptly run enterprise.
Yeah yeah we know he was never found guilty of diddly squat.
But no one in Ireland ever is. :roll:

He was taking director loans not telling auditors (supposedly) and breaching company law or at least the company law that applies to lesser types.
He managed to get his loans to then cover those of his kids, and he went bankrupt.

Yet his bank had loans of billions with no security and we the normal taxpayers ended up covering them.
Yeah yeah NAMA and it sold loans, but what was the ultimate cost of it.

Anglo was a basket case, a black hole that screwed almost every family in the state bar miraculously a few connected ones that still ended up doing ok out of it.

He was an arrogant fooker who thought he could do what he wanted, and indeed he did, all with the aid of his connections.
Seany and the rest of the clan got away with what they did, because the ordinary electorate has no stomach or balls to protest in any way/shape or form to bring about change.
They are too interested in protesting from the comfort of the local boozer. The brits are long gone, so the fight is over, nothing more for the fighting Irish to get riled up about now. They have google, amazon prime and an I phone, so tranquility now reigns supreme
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Lots of rehabilitation stories out there already - especially on Newstalk - about what a great fellow Seanie was. In fact, anybody who references the man using 'Seanie' in the interview has zero credibility in my opinion. If Marion Finucane were still with us one can only imagine the gushing tribute that would have been paid to the man. RIP.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Personally I dont know of any hero that was responsible for the misery caused to those who lost their homes, and everything else. Strange times we live in.

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:28 am what a great fellow Seanie was.
"wear the green jersey" and all of that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Nothing really has changed since. The banks still do dubious things, get caught out, pay their fine (read FEE), and then carry on for another year
AS for the climate change action. The folks that created all this, big corporations that create things with a huge carbon footprint, that we as the people have no control over...............................they get to sit at the table to arrive at a solution, that we get to pay for.
And Barack at the conference, who sanctioned bombing on a mass scale. I imagine a bomb has a huge carbon foot print??
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

It's always sad when someone dies. It is especially tragic when that someone did terrible things and were seemingly unrepentant.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Once Seanie was off the scene that was it though, we never heard from him again. Not so, one Bartholemew Patrick Ahern, who seems to be trotted out on National Tv and Radio every other week to give us lesser mortals the benefit of his unbounded wisdom, as if nothing ever happened.
Very much apples off the same tree, to my mind.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Bertie is being prepared by his media pals for a run at the Park - as night follows day.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:05 am Bertie is being prepared by his media pals for a run at the Park - as night follows day.
That would be the greatest ignominy ever perpetrated on the Irish people, we would have to hope that FF has fallen far enough from grace to prevent that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The real crooks never pay in Ireland.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:10 am That would be the greatest ignominy ever perpetrated on the Irish people, we would have to hope that FF has fallen far enough from grace to prevent that.
Bertie v Adams
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Memento Mori wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:27 pm Bertie v Adams
If Ahern, Heaven forbid, should become President, would we have to pay him in cash? The President can hardly be seen cashing his pay cheque in Fagan's.
We can at least be sure Adams has been in a bank, it's his reasons for being there that might be a bit vague. :roll: