Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Latvia bans unvaccinated MPs from voting

The burning issues of the day
Abella

Re: Latvia bans unvaccinated MPs from voting

Post by Abella »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:33 pm And yet you continue to do your best to discredit independent thought and champion what is basically fascism.
You are scared you made a bad decision, i would like to say it will be ok, but that would be a lie, no one knows the destination that the road the vaccinated are on terminates, i wish you well, which is more than can be said of you toward me and the unvaccinated ;)
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:27 pm The totalitarians are out in force, i can only believe they are scared, got to get the vaccine into as many as possible, if this is a sinking ship everyone is going down with them, they are reluctant to countenance they made a mistake getting vaccinated and now everyone must go down with them, all in it together.
I'm still not getting the vaccine, i believe the tide is already turning, wont be long before the vaccinated are stating they did not get it, no one will admit to having the wool pulled over their eyes.
The lockdowns and restrictions have greatly impacted on people's lives and we will be counting the cost in human terms for decades to come. People went along with these because, aside from being the law and having force behind it, people generally bought into the idea that it will all be over once everyone is vaccinated. While it seems very clear that the vaccines reduce serious illness and lower mortality they do not stop transmission, and thus are not the silver bullet we all hoped for. 90 odd percent uptake is phenomenal. The idea that we are blaming the unvaccinated for continuing restrictions and making efforts to coerce people into taking the vaccine is nonsensical. It is merely a stage on the journey to realizing that there is a big decision to make about how to proceed going forwards, living with covid. The focus on the unvaccinated is an easy distraction. Easy people to blame. But the evidence does not support assigning them any blame for the current levels of infection and resultant restrictions and threat of same. Courageous leadership would bring people beyond this to face the reality and essentially state that the (admirable and logical) rationale for the restrictions (keep people safe until we all get vaccinated) is gone and has not panned out. If it is not accepted and recognised that things are different now and the same logic cannot apply. Things have changed and it needs to be faced up to.

As for the vaccine, while it is not as good as one would hope, it does reduce mortality and serious instances of illness. It makes sense for many people to take it, especially the vulnerable. However, in a small number of cases, it can have adverse side effects. Like with any medical procedure it should be voluntary and not mandatory.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:33 pm I did but you opted for your usual gaslighting. Better for us both if I stop wasting my time. Last word's yours if you want it.
Ah, so your usual drive-by snide remarks, no engagement on the substantive issue at all, and then accuse others of time-wasting? You have no shame.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:22 pm This is the slippery slope we are usually warned about, forced medical procedures to do the job they where voted into do
Abella did you even read the article or check up on it to see if it were true?

What was implemented, by a vote, was that to enter parliament members must be either vaccinated OR have a negative test result. A big big difference to what you inferred.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:46 pm Abella did you even read the article or check up on it to see if it were true?

What was implemented, by a vote, was that to enter parliament members must be either vaccinated OR have a negative test result. A big big difference to what you inferred.
Well, that is much different. I would suggest that as the vaccinated can still get it and spread the virus, it would make sense to require all to have a negative test result.
Abella

Post by Abella »

Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:46 pm Abella did you even read the article or check up on it to see if it were true?

Latvia's parliament voted to ban lawmakers from voting if they don't have the COVID-19 vaccine. no mention of a negative PCR test

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/la ... ar-AAQFkLl
Abella

Post by Abella »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm Read his posts.

He hates women, trans etc. Now, you can say "well he just has a different opinion...but we agree in other matters". But I don't really see those stances as a different opinion.

But we can differ and move on
You can tell you are a hard core Boardsie, looking to get me banned as i dont agree with you, so, so sad, i feel sorry for you to be honest
[media] [/media]
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm Latvia's parliament voted to ban lawmakers from voting if they don't have the COVID-19 vaccine. no mention of a negative PCR test

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/la ... ar-AAQFkLl
Stop citing news outlets and second hand information who are trying to sensationalise it. Go to the Latvian government site and read the statement for yourself.

They are not 'banned from voting'. Staff are prohibited from entering the building unless vaccinated or holding a negative result. For MP's who can't, this does mean they won't be able to vote and also means they won't get paid.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:51 pm Read his posts.

He hates women, trans etc. Now, you can say "well he just has a different opinion...but we agree in other matters". But I don't really see those stances as a different opinion.

But we can differ and move on
I just didn't think it was fair to tar isha is all.
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:22 pm The insistence that anyone who happens to agree or share vaguely similar opinions on one specific item with someone who you deem objectionable, in this instance an "anti-vaxxer", must share wider opinions to the extent of being fellow "campaigner" on an issue is a very regressive phenomenon. It's a display of a most base and unsophisticated tribalism. Either that, or a deliberately cynical bullying maneuver to stifle discussion.
^This