Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Gript.ie

The burning issues of the day
Memento Mori

Gript.ie

Post by Memento Mori »

Today's Irish section of the Times website features a bit of a write up about Gript.ie by John Burns:
It was after the Repeal referendum campaign of 2018 that John McGuirk decided to launch Gript, a right-wing news service. He reckoned the tone of the media coverage had pushed people towards removing the ban on abortion.

“I felt that over the course of the campaign the media in Ireland had taken a collective view,” he says. “That referendum had been lost 15 years before it was run. Politics has always been downstream of culture. I felt we needed to create a space that would show people there is an alternative viewpoint on a range of issues that just doesn’t get an airing in the mainstream press.”

That’s what Gript does, not just on abortion, but on climate change, vaccines, lockdowns and economics. It has broken some decent stories too, such as revealing a series of tweets that Fianna Fail’s Lorraine Clifford-Lee posted in 2011-12 in which she said nasty stuff about Travellers and a Brazilian immigrant. They got a cache of emails and WhatsApp messages from within the Independent Scientific Advisory Group that suggested the zero-Covid advocacy group was saying different stuff in private to what it was saying in public. More recently, Gript revealed how much Kinzen, a media tech start-up founded by Mark Little and Aine Kerr, has been paid by the state to “combat misinformation” about Covid.

Not that Gript, or its chief reporter, Gary Kavanagh, ever get much credit. “The challenge for us is reputational,” McGuirk admits. “There is a significant part of Irish society which does not believe we are respectable people. We have well-known people writing for us who insist on using a pseudonym. Our aim is to grow the audience and demonstrate we are closer to the mainstream than the extreme.”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/grip ... -6k7fchws3

In the past five or ten years each of the state's main media outlets, the IT, Examiner and Indo in particular, all largely sing off the same hymn sheet. Gript does offer something different and will tackle issues that the broader media shy away from, and as Burns states above, have broken some decent stories. They also clearly approach things from a centre-right social conservative position, something which is in marked contrast to most other outlets. Despite the hysterical hand-wringing from some quarters (strange how when some decry Gript they rarely seem to be able to actually point to any specific articles, rather it's a general "they are bad people") I think a diverse media is a good thing, and Gript has made a contribution in that regard. Does this mean that Gript are necessarily brilliant or that I personally would be paying for premium content? Of course not, but our society would suffer if perspectives that a considerable amount of people have are not aired in the media.
Scotty

Re: Gript.ie

Post by Scotty »

The first I ever heard of Gript was on twitter when someone shared a post from them apologising for publishing fake news.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have not read it, but I think that opinions from different political positions are a must in a proper society. Unless there is incitement to hatred or violence, involved. There are many things I disagree with published in ordinary 'respectable' Irish media, and a general outlook on life that I often find weird, but I am glad for them to have their platforms. It's good to have something even to rail against and help form one's own view points. A monoculture of anything is sterile.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

A few things about Gript puts me off: the name, the look and the fact that it was founded out of the 8th amendment division all immediately lead me to dismiss them.

And whenever I hear others dismiss them "Sure that's Gript, right wing fanatics etc etc" I tend to agree, even though the specific article or argument in question maybe very valid.

In short I am exactly the sort of person that McGuirk is talking about:
“There is a significant part of Irish society which does not believe we are respectable people. We have well-known people writing for us who insist on using a pseudonym. Our aim is to grow the audience and demonstrate we are closer to the mainstream than the extreme.”
Gript?! Seriously, what does that even mean? It screams extremist to me, gripped by ideology.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Gript have covered a few things that the Irish failed to, one was the odd story of a girl in prison wo presented a threat to women if she was realesed. Gript revealed that "she" was a man when the rest of the Irish media kept schtum

The god bothering pro-life stuff isnt my cup of tea and the layout is cack but its worth keeping an eye on.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Banshee Bones wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:34 am Gript have covered a few things that the Irish failed to, one was the odd story of a girl in prison wo presented a threat to women if she was realesed. Gript revealed that "she" was a man when the rest of the Irish media kept schtum

The god bothering pro-life stuff isnt my cup of tea and the layout is cack but its worth keeping an eye on.
Yep, I must admit I'm torn between Gript's right wing religious overtones and their sometimes interesting reporting on other issues. So when I do read some of their coverage it feels like a sort of furtive activity.

I'm leaning to the left in a nordic social democracy kinda way, but have plenty of libertarian views that don't mix well with the left wing mantra. It's taken me some time to accommodate the reality that political and social views are not binary, and that I can agree with some stuff and disagree with other stuff without compromising myself in some way. Lately I've been intentionally including a lot of opposing viewpoints in my twitter feed and it's a refreshing way to make sure you don't end up in an echo chamber.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

People don't need anyone to raise fear or hatred of sex offenders, it's innate to the vast majority of people.

What needed to be raised was that said person was no more a woman than I am a ferret and that male sex offenders are being placed in with female inmates and staff.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Mountain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:57 am I note you take my reference to raising fear and hatred of trans and switched it to sex offenders.

I don't know if that was deliberate or you just naturally conflate the two groups. I don't think we'll agree on this topic and I appreciate why you like Gript.ie.
The Gript article was on a sex offender in prison who has decided to become a woman, you're the one who conflated it with trans people. If you feel like linking to articles that Gript published spreadind hate about trans people feel free to post them, or better yet report them to guards and let us know how you get on.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Mountain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm In my post to which you responded when conflating trans people with sex offenders, I clearly referred to a range of articles. Every single one of them only talks about trans in the context of serious sexual crime. If you have no issue with that, fair enough.
Rather than tell me what I do or don't have issue with, you could just link to the articles that the you claim spread hate. No rush, like.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

"just Google it" is a poor contribution to the discussion. Why don't you share the articles and the bits you take issue with?
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Its a simple enough thing:
you said "but clearly designed to raise fear and hate with shock headlines about rape and child abuse."

Just post the articles from Gript that are raising hate and fear. Simple enough.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

I'll file your claim about raising hate etc. under "cool story bro" and move on

Gripts "on this day" articles are worth reading, their video content is no great shakes but this is genius :mrgreen:

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Mountain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 pm You conflated trans people and sex offenders.

You won't type 3 words to see that Gript's only stories about trans prisoners focus on sex offences.

I understand why you want.to move on. It's not a position to stand on and defend
MOD NOTE: Ok let's move on so.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Worrying to see Gript signal boosting anti vaxxer articles....from The Lancet :lol:

https://gript.ie/the-lancet-stigmatizin ... justified/
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I see Paddy Cosgrove has gone digging through McGuirks tweets. Some of the stuff is a bit mad, but it all seems to me to be just plain stupid over-the-top edgelord type stuff from a young guy who fancied himself a political provocateur, rather than actual deviancy as it is being attempted to portray.

https://gript.ie/paddy-cosgrave-reveals ... d-article/
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Memento Mori wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:41 pm I see Paddy Cosgrove has gone digging through McGuirks tweets. Some of the stuff is a bit mad, but it all seems to me to be just plain stupid over-the-top edgelord type stuff from a young guy who fancied himself a political provocateur, rather than actual deviancy as it is being attempted to portray.

https://gript.ie/paddy-cosgrave-reveals ... d-article/
Wankers the pair of them.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Never heard of that place. Sounds like it be good for the craic.

*Sneaky edit*
Well that was shite 🤣