Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

Re: All Things Baking

Post by 765489 »

Arthur Turner is a lovely cooking apple. Good big apples and lovely flowers on them. If you leave them on the tree long enough you can eat them.. but not too many as you'd end up with a pain in your stomach. :mrgreen:

I'm looking to order some apple trees from France as well as Ireland. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm I'm looking to order some apple trees from France as well as Ireland. :)
What varieties?

Post by 765489 »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm What varieties?
So far, Discovery ( early fruiting self fertile variety, which I have already )
Arthur Turner - cooker
There are three varieties I'm looking at sourcing at a French nursery if Future forests can't source them for me - Wellant ( A very large eating apple ), UEB 32642 Opal and maybe Sisired ( All have been trialled successfully in Ireland )
There is also a rosette variety that was found in a garden in the UK and is an accidental variant of Discovery called Rosette.
I'm also thinking about either Blood of the Boyne or Red Devil... I have both of these trees but can not determine which one is almost red all the way through 😞

All will be on MM106 root stocks.

I'll create a thread about all of this in the F&F forum when I get my sh1t together CR. Might be of interest to some people as how to not grow an orchard :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Did not know where to put this but as the Title says ALL things baking, here is some great news for bakers everywhere!
https://www.studyfinds.org/dairy-fat-pr ... rt-attack/
The results come from a review of more than 4,000 Swedish adults — who are among the world’s biggest consumers of dairy products.

The team confirmed their findings by pooling data from 17 other studies involving almost 43,000 participants in the United States, United Kingdom, and Denmark. Dr. Marklund says with dairy consumption on the rise globally, nutritional scientists need a better understanding of the impact dairy fat has on health. Higher intakes of dairy fat did not have a link to an increased risk of death among the participants.

Researchers assessed dairy fat consumption in the group of Swedish 60-year-olds by measuring blood levels of a particular fatty acid. This substance generally appears in dairy foods and is therefore useful in reflecting intake of dairy fat. Study authors tracked the group for an average of 16 years to see how many had heart attacks, strokes, and other serious circulatory events. They also looked at how many died from any cause during this time.

The CVD risk was lowest for those with high levels of the fatty acid, coming from a high intake of dairy fats. The results remained the same after accounting for factors including age, income, lifestyle, dietary habits, and other illnesses. Moreover, those with the highest levels had no increased risk of death from all causes.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

images.jpeg-6.jpg
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

In today's Irish Examiner Weekend it's got pages with Darina and "back to basics".
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This morning's effort - a Coffee Cake from my Grandmother's recipe - none of your old mocha cake filling with this one and just a shake of icing sugar to finish. Another diabetic delight I'm afraid.

'no more blah blah blah'
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Looks so moist 😍
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It turned out nicely but the recipe calls for wholemeal flour and the last large (2kg) bag that I got was a Dunne's Stores own brand - the only type available - and is very poor quality. The second time of using it and the rest will be going back to nature.
'no more blah blah blah'
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Would you mind sharing the recipe? (if it's not a closely guarded family secret :lol: )
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Made a light rye loaf today, been ages since I made one. Threw in the sourdough discard as an experiment (instead of tossing it out). The sourdough flavour is coming through...nomm
20211003_171113.jpg
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I see Boris would love to participate in Great British Bake off. Who would we pit him against? 🤔 Prince Charles...Graham Norton....suggestions on a postcard please
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm I see Boris would love to participate in Great British Bake off. Who would we pit him against? 🤔 Prince Charles...Graham Norton....suggestions on a postcard please
Prince Harry and Meghan.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 pm Prince Harry and Meghan.
It'd probably be vegan....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This afternoon's effort while doing the washing up, listening to the rugby and working on the laptop in the sitting room - in other words an easy one to make. Chocolate & Marmalade cake, loosely based on a Nigella recipe and while not much to look at is very moreish. As a bonus, it can be made in a saucepan and this reduces the washing up! The end result depends on the quality of the marmalade used but even a bog standard type like the one shown is usually adequate.

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I gave up the sugar a while ago and got a craving on me today for something nice. And believe it or not these are yummy!

1/2 cup pecans (or pecans and cashews in whatever mix up to half a cup). (You know the American style cup measurements, I have those cups, sorry I don't know EXACT equivalent. 1/2 cup dried goods is about 50 grams).
15 whole pitted dates roughly chopped.
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut. Put half this aside to roll the treats in.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, or carob if you prefer.
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon water (if needed) -( I needed to use a little more than that.)

Instructions
Put pecans (1/2 cup) in food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
Place 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut in a small bowl. Set aside.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the 1 tablespoon water to the food processor. Turn food processor on until very well mixed. If mixture seems too dry to stick together, add the water.
Using a tablespoon measure, spoon out mixture and roll in balls. ( I used teaspoon and made them about size of walnut).

Coat each ball in the reserved 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
Place on a parchment covered baking sheet and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes, until they harden. (I just put them on a plate to chill. )
Store in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to two weeks.

Post by 490808 »

Doesn't sound like my sort of thing but do they have a name so I know what I'm saying no to?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:45 pm Doesn't sound like my sort of thing but do they have a name so I know what I'm saying no to?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Date and cocoa balls.
But they are just one variety of types of energy balls that are very popular. They are better than others I have tried.
My husband said thank God when I took out the mixer and when I said what I was making his face fell and he said feck off.😊 But he had one and said wow they are good!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

IMG_20220605_084524_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220605_084524_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (233.75 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Look at that- recipe and results all in one shot. Time for breakfast.

Post by 765489 »

I just noticed brown sugar meringues in that photo. I've an awful craving for a lemon meringue pie. One of these days I'm gonna make one.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Going to try this Odlum's recipe tomorrow as the weather is ideal for melting butter. The heat in the kitchen will probably drive me demented but I will give it a lash and post the result here. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

A few days ago I made this

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bak ... cheesecake
IMG_20220708_170615_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220708_170615_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (233.72 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
It is really tasty but that's the problem, it's also very rich. The glut of raspberries I have at the moment is going in smoothies and porridge now. 😬 Thankfully himself has a big appetite and hollow legs. 👍

Was my first time making baked cheesecake. I had to cook it at 120C for 20 minutes longer than the recipe says. If you hit a wooden spoon off the side of the tin while it's in the oven it should just jiggle a little bit, too much and it needs extra time. I confess I also touched the top of it to guage how set it was. It doesn't need to be set - it gets set during the overnight chilling. I will make it again for parties or something.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Just out of the oven. It's such a blustery, wet Autumn day that it deserves an apple tart. I used richer shortcrust pastry, recipe out of my ancient Virtue Cookbook. One pound of flour to 10 ounces of butter, two teaspoons of caster sugar and bound by two egg yolks plus sufficient cold water. I also used Greasy Pippins apples gifted to me from a friend who grew them locally. They are a huge apple I had never seen before, with a lovely aroma, just about sweet enough to be eating apples, but probably better in a tart. I hope so at least! 🙂
IMG_20221009_162217_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20221009_162217_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (237.23 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

In between a lot of rugby I knocked up a sticky black ginger cake - simplicity to make and yummy to eat and gets better a few days after baking.

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Made a nice white loaf today because I just can't face another slice of wholemeal for a minute. It's an adaptation of the French couronne recipe using yoghurt instead of long fermenting to get a sour taste. I made some almond macaroons too, but they're nearly all ate by Mr greedy guts.

Ps I know it's not a circle Mr CR!