Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

2 stroke oil

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
isha
Verified Username

2 stroke oil

Post by isha »

Gah! Stupid question alert.
Is there a way for me to tell if I already added the 100ml of oil to my 5 litre container of petrol, eg smell, appearance?
And if not does it matter if I add it twice?
Strimmer. A good while since I took it out and theres a full container of petrol but feck me if I can recall adding the oil or not. :oops:
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Re: 2 stroke oil

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:04 pm Gah! Stupid question alert.
Is there a way for me to tell if I already added the 100ml of oil to my 5 litre container of petrol, eg smell, appearance?
And if not does it matter if I add it twice?
Strimmer. A good while since I took it out and theres a full container of petrol but feck me if I can recall adding the oil or not. :oops:
Hate that :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:08 pmHate that :lol:
Oh no!!!! You dont know the answer? 😭😭😭

Post by 765489 »

If you look into the bottom of the container is the oil laying at the bottom of the container of petrol ? Usually it separates and heads for the bottom. Or give it a shake and pour some of into say a 7 up bottle and see if there is a slight colour similar to the oil you use.
dawg

Post by dawg »

I hope its not a stupid question.

Ever since the 60's I routinely find myself faced with this question. :lol: Is there some modern gizmo that can be used to provide the answer ?

( I suppose one could put a fuel sample in a shallow container, wait for the petrol to evaporate 'n then look for oil left behind. Isnt life too short for that sort of carry-on ? )

Post by 765489 »

dawg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:13 pm I hope its not a stupid question.

Ever since the 60's I routinely find myself faced with this question. :lol: Is there some modern gizmo that can be used to provide the answer ?

( I suppose one could put a fuel sample in a shallow container, wait for the petrol to evaporate 'n then look for oil left behind. Isnt life too short for that sort of carry-on ? )
I always get mixed up as the chainsaw takes 40ml and the strimmer 50ml.. I usually end up throwing it out but Isha doesn't seem to have one of them little 1 litre mixing bottles so when it goes wrong for her it's a complete deep-water horizon type disaster :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I am relieved i am not the only one who gets this issue. Red container so cannot see settling.
Poured some into glass. Definite reddish tinge and I THINK the last oil I used might have been red but I have green too.. is the unleaded petrol normally colourless?
If there is no solution what do I do with the 5 litres of petrol?

Post by 765489 »

If there's a reddish tinge something was mixed in it as petrol doesn't have a reddish tinge.

Post by 765489 »

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:28 pm If there's a reddish tinge something was mixed in it as petrol doesn't have a reddish tinge.
Thanks N. My options are to risk my strimmer now on the basis its LIKELY I added oil, or to leave behind 5 litres of petrol of uncertain provenance in a plastic container as my archaeological deposit for posterity. I dont want that last option.

This is something that needs a more general solution to it- testing dipsticks or something, and if I knew it I might finally get rich!
dawg

Post by dawg »

If you dont have time to do an evaporation test then pour some into a jamjar and add oil to it

( you may need to use a kitchen scales to calibrate some ersatz measuring cylinders for this :lol: - keep in mind that both oil and petrol are less dense than water ) .

Mix up the jamjar contents and use it as fuel. If the engine smokes disastrously then its probably double dosed :cry:
dawg

Post by dawg »

Oh!, The Shame of it :oops:
I googled for the answer :lol:

This struck me :

"... I put some fuel from the tank in a jam jar and compared it with 'straight' petrol..."

from http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 29587.html

Post by 765489 »

Have you you got clean petrol handy Isha ?

Sorry I'm just being mischievous there and wondering do you have to siphon clean petrol from a car :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm Have you you got clean petrol handy Isha ?

Sorry I'm just being mischievous there and wondering do you have to siphon clean petrol from a car :D
I have clean petrol in the red can carefully labeled For Power Washer Only! Because no oil goes in there! I will check difference.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

dawg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:43 pm Oh!, The Shame of it :oops:
I googled for the answer :lol:

This struck me :

"... I put some fuel from the tank in a jam jar and compared it with 'straight' petrol..."

from http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 29587.html
Will check when I get home from shouting into the forest...Thanks!!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

We have a winner. Such an easy solution in the end. And bang goes another of my schemes to be a billionaire.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If its old petrol , mixed or not, throw it out and use new petrol.
Old petrol deteriorates with time, and causes all sorts of starting problems.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:00 pm If its old petrol , mixed or not, throw it out and use new petrol.
Old petrol deteriorates with time, and causes all sorts of starting problems.
It's not old - it's my memory that's old! :)
I have a new problem now in that my trusty old husqvarna is not sounding too great. But it's not the fuel. It's been acting weird for a while, and it's not getting better. Ah well.
dawg

Post by dawg »

check spark @ spark plug
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

With 2 stroke small engines, its imperative that the proper mix is consistent and accurate.
The correct amount of oil needs to be measured at each mix. Its not like a cocktail , a dash of oil and thats it.

The biggest issue with starting and running small 2 stroke engines will be down to the correct mix and NEW petrol.
If you have not used a 2 stroke item for 3-4 weeks, then empty out the remaining petrol in the machine, and mix new.

People do not realise petrol deteriorates in a very short space of time. I have just thrown out my old Husky 135 due to starting issues with a worn cylinder. 6 years old, with less than average work. They dont make them like they used to.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 pm With 2 stroke small engines, its imperative that the proper mix is consistent and accurate.
The correct amount of oil needs to be measured at each mix. Its not like a cocktail , a dash of oil and thats it.

The biggest issue with starting and running small 2 stroke engines will be down to the correct mix and NEW petrol.
If you have not used a 2 stroke item for 3-4 weeks, then empty out the remaining petrol in the machine, and mix new.

People do not realise petrol deteriorates in a very short space of time. I have just thrown out my old Husky 135 due to starting issues with a worn cylinder. 6 years old, with less than average work. They dont make them like they used to.
This explains a lot! My husqvarna is about 13 or 14 years old, I guess I am pretty stingy to be expecting it to keep going and I have not been emptying tank before next go. Although I do otherwise care for it and have it maintained as I value it. A new one will have to wait til new growth and bigger savings in Spring though.

Post by 765489 »

When finished I always tip out any petrol left in my strimmer or chainsaw while they are still running and let the engine run to burn up any petrol still in them.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Tip out where though? This was another issue that arose for me yesterday - I did not know where to put ''old'' or ''bad'' petrol.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am Tip out where though? This was another issue that arose for me yesterday - I did not know where to put ''old'' or ''bad'' petrol.
I just tip it out onto the grass. In my case it would be less than a 3rd of a litre.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am Tip out where though? This was another issue that arose for me yesterday - I did not know where to put ''old'' or ''bad'' petrol.
How much are we talking about