Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

RTE's Drivetime

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

RTE's Drivetime

Post by Del.Monte »

Can't believe I haven't started a thread on this show previously as Sarah McInerney is definitely one of my favourite presenters. That said, I really can't believe the way the show is following Newstalk down the tabloid route with one of today's prime topics - people getting upset by being asked "where are you from?"

I'm living in Ireland on and off for 56 years or so and I still get asked that question - anyone offended by the question should grow a thicker skin or fxxk off back to where they are from. Anyway, given the state that the country is in is this real newsworthy?
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Re: RTE's Drivetime

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh ya, that program is gone to the dogs. Before it was news, analysis and probing questions for politicians. Now it's "Mary from Ballina texted in to say". One thing I really notice is they allow politicians from certain parties to waffle on and never challenge them on some clearly outlandish statements.

A lot of the time now I just turn it off.

Post by 95438756 »

The "fluid" continuity music on Drivetime also does my head in.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Poor old Cormac Ó hEadhra's knowledge of the military/political situation in Eastern Europe badly exposed in this evening's interview with a former British Ambassador to the region. Like most Irish media commentators he seems completely clueless as to what the possible consequences of what is going on at the Belarus/Poland border. It's not about a few thousand hapless refugees trapped in the zone, it's about what could happen if Polish and Belarus forces come to blows...

Cormac suggested to the former ambassador that 'we' could get rid of the Belarus president. The ambassador asked Cormac did he want another European war and how many people did he wanted killed...no answer from our bold presenter.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cormac really going tabloid - two bloodies and "we're really screwed" in just one segment this evening.
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Ah come on now, an RTE presenter can't possibly be expected to understand that the EU already bit off more than it could chew with Belarus. Surely the EU can just march with irs regiments of moral outrage troops and kick Lukashenko out.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Philip Boucher Hayes' annoying segment about the environment *Hot Mess" on again tonight about nuclear power - awful crap with annoying sinister (?) music backdrop. The most amazing thing to emerge from the piece was that the Workers Party are the only party in the State that support nuclear power - who knew that the Workers Party still existed? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:47 pmannoying sinister (?) music backdrop. :mrgreen:
Maybe Suitable for transition year pupils secondary school project presentation, but certainly not for main evening radio new program
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Did I hear a piece about the expiry dates on Milk?! How the feck is the expiry dates on Milk newsworthy? I heard some idiot of a presenter ask how would you know how the milk is expired!

Just shows what passes for primetime radi news ando current affairs

Geez I'd almost rather listen to Joe Duffy.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Heard Andrea Gilligan saying on PK today that she pours milk down the sink as soon as it passes its sell by date, without a taste test, so obviously this is a hot topic among radio presenters. Just caught myself in time there, I almost said "among journalists"

Post by 765489 »

Morrisons supermarkets in the UK are getting rid of the use by date on it's own brand milk and instead leaving it up to the customer to do the "sniff test" on it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:26 pm Morrisons supermarkets in the UK are getting rid of the use by date on it's own brand milk and instead leaving it up to the customer to do the "sniff test" on it.
It's a sad reflection on people that they need to be told to do this and sadder still that there's an element of the population that can't organise themselves to buy what they need in the correct quantities and not be dumping stuff mindlessly. As for Cormac Ó hEadhra who according to himself eats mouldy bread, cheese and even meat!
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:26 pm Morrisons supermarkets in the UK are getting rid of the use by date on it's own brand milk and instead leaving it up to the customer to do the "sniff test" on it.
Don't think they are allowed to do that? EC rules? Will check up though. Wife used to work for them and knew Ken Morrison. I still do a weekly shop online with them - for my mother in the UK.

Ah :oops: Spotted my mistake Morrisons may not have to abide by
REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
of 25 October 2011
on the provision of food information to consumers, amending Regulations (EC) No 1924/2006 and
(EC) No 1925/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council, and repealing Commission
Directive 87/250/EEC, Council Directive 90/496/EEC, Commission Directive 1999/10/EC,
Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Directives
2002/67/EC and 2008/5/EC and Commission Regulation (EC) No 608/2004

CHAPTER IV
MANDATORY FOOD INFORMATION
SECTION 1
Content and presentation
Article 9
List of mandatory particulars
1. In accordance with Articles 10 to 35 and subject to the
exceptions contained in this Chapter, indication of the following
particulars shall be mandatory:
(a) the name of the food;
(b) the list of ingredients;
(c) any ingredient or processing aid listed in Annex II or
derived from a substance or product listed in Annex II
causing allergies or intolerances used in the manufacture
or preparation of a food and still present in the finished
product, even if in an altered form;
(d) the quantity of certain ingredients or categories of
ingredients;
(e) the net quantity of the food;
(f) the date of minimum durability or the ‘use by’ date;

because of Brexit, but didn't think they were just dumping all the old rules strange?

Morrisons to scrap use by dates on most of its milk and encourage customers to use 'sniff test' - Yorkshire Post
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And Cormac doing a piece on the death of Rosaleen McDonagh who helped found Pavee Point could not resist enquiring precisely what she died from, and then finished with the obligatory and overused "ní fheicfimid a leithéid arís". RTE love death..it must a requirement at interview.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

^^^^ Prerequisite.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Listening to Cormac Ó hEadhra' this evening has really brought home to me what an utterly dismal broadcaster he is. Between his poor briefing, crass stupidity, woke political correctness, feeble attempts at humour, an obsession with lapsing into the Irish language at every opportunity he is only fit for a joke station like Newstalk rather than the National broadcaster.

His interview this evening with US warmonger John Bolton ( he who couldn't tell his mickey from his thumb only that one has a nail on it) was a masterclass of his inferiority when dealing with someone who he regards as being above his own pay grade. Cringeworthy and it's lucky that I'm in a good mood tonight or I'd tell you what I really think of the fool. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Before 6pm. About fairy tales.
How the new fairy tale editions are cool and woke. Fine for the kids.

Dragons. Challenges.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cormac Ó hEadhra really has a hard-on for World War.III. as he tries to get Coveney to say he favours war with Russia. Cormac wants to save the Ukrainian people by NATO getting involved - he really needs to stand back and consider what he's saying. Does the fool not realise that Ukraine would be in the firing line of any nuclear exchange?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Where is Sarah these days, she seems to be missing more often than she's there - leaving just woeful Cormac sucking the life out of me? :(
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Lord Boucher Hayes' insufferably patronising 'Hot Mess' segment was back this evening and even for an environmentalist like me it would drain the life out of you. Total negativity, sinister (?) background music etc. - we're all doomed, doomed I tell ya!

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cormac wallowing in his stupidity on his own this evening. Given the highly dangerous world situation Cormac breathlessly announces startling news just breaking...and first thing I think of that Russia has done something, but no, it's a British MP arrested for rape, which while serious is not in the 'startling news-breaking' category. Idiot!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Woeful start to the show again today with music banging away in the background during the intro - why? Followed by Cormac trying a bit of his renowned 'humour' with the saying about politicians - 'don't vote, it only encourages them' - so old it has hairs on it. :roll:

More humour as Cormac says the GAA is Ireland's way of taking over the world. There's a GAA team in Thailand - amazing - perhaps there's even a cricket club or a rugby club. Aren't the Irish great.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cormac at his worst tonight - argumentative, ignorant and talking over his guests.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just listening there and Cormac O'Hara comes across as a total SF supporter. He gives government TD's a right grilling and SF TD get a total free ride. He also comes across as sexist as female government TD' get a right hammering with constant interrupting, putting words in their mouths, etc

I thought RTE was to be unbaised, well, Cormac comes across as very biased.

Post by 765489 »

Have to say I agree he came across as a right little arsehole this evening.