Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Re: WTF moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: Re: WTF moment of the day

Post by schmittel »

I heard comedian Dave Chapelle has caused some stink at Netflix, because he made a joke that was offensive to the trans community. Went looking for details and found this:
The streaming giant has found itself embroiled in an intense and highly public controversy over Chappelle's The Closer, in which the stand-up star insists "gender is a fact" and accuses LGBTQ people of being "too sensitive".
Presumably the LGBTQ people who have taken offense disagree with this, rather neatly proving his point that they are in fact too sensitive.

Thankfully the co CEO Has some level of perspective :
Sarandos wrote to staff in a leaked internal memo last week that "content on screen doesn't directly translate to real-world harm", and emphasised the importance of defending "artistic freedom".
But as the cries louder he realized:
"I should have first and foremost acknowledged in those emails that a group of our employees were in pain, and they were really feeling hurt from a business decision that we made,"
Once again rather proving Chapelles point.

WTF??!!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

That’s irritating. I see that sitter has removed the video, though I suspect its nothing to demand with copyright. it’s more to do with the fact that it shows a very hostile, intolerant and aggressive LGBTQ crowd bullying somebody with a different viewpoint.

Basically this guys turns up with “I like Dave Chappelle” sign, hand drawn and taped to a stick. They try to grab it off him, and then stamp on the end of it, breaking the sign off, leaving him just the stick.

He’s then left just holding a stick, and They then start crying “he’s got a weapon!” They use this as justification to push him back away from the crowd, and having retreated he calmly gives up the stick, bemused, and just quietly keeps say “I just like Dave Chapelle”.

The continue to surround him, raised arms, aggressive, and get right in his face, but to his credit he stays calm and just keeps repeating that he’s a fan of Dave Chappelle.

It is particularly annoying that the video has been deleted, because this is how it is being reported:

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Sorry, double post
Last edited by kadman on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

All this politically correctness has popped up over the last few years, and at my age is damn tricky to keep up with, as it was nowhere to be seen when I was growing up. I do my damdest to treat people with dignity and respect. But if I sometimes miss the mark on this pc stuff, please forgive me, its unintentional , and its just me being a pc illiterate old dude thats not up to date on this stuff.

And if that dont explain it, then you can just pucker up....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm All this politically correctness has popped up over the last few years, and at my age is damn tricky to keep up with, as it was nowhere to be seen when I was growing up. I do my damdest to treat people with dignity and respect. But if I sometimes miss the mark on this pc stuff, please forgive me, its unintentional , and its just me being a pc illiterate old dude thats not up to date on this stuff.

And if that dont explain it, then you can just pucker up....
You need not apologise to me anyway as I don't have a politically correct bone in my body and never will. I am so intolerant that at the slightest hint of pc/woke attitudes or Americanisms/DART speak etc and I dismiss the person as an idiot and move on. No need to 'reach out' to me. Look, I can use smilies too - how hip am I. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

All we want now is a "pucker up" smiley :lol:
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Galway priest placed on indefinite leave over Tik Tok posts
A Galway priest has been placed on indefinite leave after posting videos on social media featuring innuendo and joked about playing songs like 'Highway to Hell' at a funeral Mass.

In a statement to be read to parishioners in Gort this weekend, Bishop Brendan Kelly refers to “upsetting information” regarding 44-year-old curate Fr Michael King.

He confirms the priest is “on indefinite leave from all duties” and will be absent from the parish “for the foreseeable future”.

The Irish Examiner reports that the move follows the publication of a number of videos by Fr King on the social media platform TikTok, in which he appears topless and alludes to sex and alcohol.

Fr King, who is from Renmore, was ordained in 2016 and had been a curate for the parish of Gort in the south of the county before being placed on indefinite leave.
https://midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/ ... -tok-posts

Without knowing any further details...this fella just sounds like someone with a "strange" sense of humor. That affliction obviously doesn't qualify him for the usual church practice of moving him to a different parish and covering things up :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... from-fauci

I am not going to post an extract as it is too grotesque. Warning that subject matter is NIH funded cruelty to animals.

Very WTF.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

peasant wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm https://midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/ ... -tok-posts

Without knowing any further details...this fella just sounds like someone with a "strange" sense of humor. That affliction obviously doesn't qualify him for the usual church practice of moving him to a different parish and covering things up :mrgreen:
The guy sounds like a laugh, the church could do with more of them, they should lighten up!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:16 pm I am not going to post an extract as it is too grotesque. Warning that subject matter is NIH funded cruelty to animals.
Huh! :roll: Those horrible Africans - imagine if it was legal in the US for rich white dog owners to "devocalise" their dog, or de-claw their cat, and only in the name of convenience. Oh, wait ...

Yeah. WTF ... :roll:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Us transport their dirty laundry as far from home as possible. Listen folks they have been torturing people from from home in other countries too. Numerous black op torture sites globally.

Mans inhumanity to his brothers and sisters and life in general is appalling. We dont deserve to be here on this planet.
Makes my blood boil.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:02 pm Huh! :roll: Those horrible Africans - imagine if it was legal in the US for rich white dog owners to "devocalise" their dog, or de-claw their cat, and only in the name of convenience. Oh, wait ...

Yeah. WTF ... :roll:
Weird response. The African part of the story did not even register with me. If the experiments were US funded in Roscommon I would have had the exact same response.

As for devocalising animals being legal I have genuinely never heard of it before, and it strikes me as horribly cruel if true. It should be completely illegal.

Declawing I have heard of, it is also a horrible thing, but genuinely I cannot see how it could be compared to what happened in the present experiments.

There often seems to be a general inability to adjust for nuance and the weight of things in modern discourse. Things take place or have value along an arc that travels from less to more. If we try to dismiss things on the heavy side of an arc by trying to compare them directly to things on the lighter side of an arc the world loses coherence.

Same if we try to generate equal abhorence for things on the lighter end of an arc as for heavy things. It is why nowadays some people call words literal violence for example. These are not serious people.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

We support this by the simple fact by our inaction . Same as we believe that animal experiments is quite alright, as we are the beneficiary's of such actions, along with abducting, rendition and torture of our brown skinned brothers and sisters. The fact that Ireland allows numerous military US flights through our airports, and then cries the neutrality mantra is laughable.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 am Weird response. The African part of the story did not even register with me. If the experiments were US funded in Roscommon I would have had the exact same response.

As for devocalising animals being legal I have genuinely never heard of it before, and it strikes me as horribly cruel if true. It should be completely illegal.

Declawing I have heard of, it is also a horrible thing, but genuinely I cannot see how it could be compared to what happened in the present experiments.
There is no information given in the article about exactly what was (or wasn't) done, by whom or for what specific purpose, other than it was (supposedly) carried out in Africa, and that one of the most "distressing" aspects was that those horrible African scientists did something to the dogs - debarking/devocalisation - which is just one of the many barbaric animal abuses practised continually in the US; practices that the very same apparently offended Republicans (and others) do absolutely nothing to prohibit - de-barking, de-clawing, ear-cropping, tail-docking (some states are finally beginning to legislate against that last one) ...

But should we be surprised, when they show just as much contempt for other members of our own species? :roll:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:35 am There is no information given in the article about exactly what was (or wasn't) done, by whom or for what specific purpose,
Incorrect
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:43 amIncorrect
What information were you able to glean from it? It's a typical propaganda piece from a typical right-wing campaign group (founded by an anti-abortion, anti-gay, any-healthcare hard-core Republican) that makes lots of allegations and provides absolutely no facts to substantiate any of them. We know from previous such exercises that there's no guarantee, for example, that the photo has anything to do with any lab in Africa, or anything to do with scientific experiments of any kind, or that there's any link with the US taxpayer.

The whole thing stinks of the very common right-wing strategy of making a spurious claim on the back of an allegation constructed on the flimsiest of out-of-context evidence, triggering a demand for explanations from people who have no idea what nonsense they're being asked to talk about; and their refusal to give the un-giveable explanation is then used as "evidence" of a cover-up, prompting much WTF outrage by social media super-spreaders.

If anything I've said above is incorrect, you - isha - should be able to tell me the name of the lab where this took place, and what drug was being tested. If you can't, then the article you linked contains "no information" of any significance. In the meantime, you've done your part to help spread Anthony Bellotti's broad-spectrum right-wing agenda. I'm sure the unwillingly pregnant women of Texas will be thank you for your service.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Laboratory of Vector Ecology in the Institut Pasteur de Tunis

L. infantum

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8345872/

You are going to have to look up the meaning of the words "bipartisan representatives".

And shag off with your histrionic attempts to brand me as a right wing propagandist.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

isha wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:59 am Laboratory of Vector Ecology in the Institut Pasteur de Tunis

L. infantum

You are going to have to look up the meaning of the words "bipartisan representatives".

And shag off with your histrionic attempts to brand me as a right wing propagandist.
I imagine Celtic won't be coming back to the thread anyway, you big right-wing propogandist you.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I was scrolling the other day, was it 2 days ago, can't remember, when I happened upon Mark Zuckerberg doing his live launch video thingy of Meta. For a while I was wondering what is going on here and then totally WTF! How can this dystopian universe of meat suits wearing goggles and pretending to actually interact be considered desirable :? :shock:

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

GubuOriginal wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:04 pm I imagine Celtic won't be coming back to the thread anyway, you big right-wing propogandist you.
For better or worse, Celtic is back - after the previously announced absence! :P
isha wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:59 am Laboratory of Vector Ecology in the Institut Pasteur de Tunis

L. infantum

I didn't brand you as a right wing propagandist. I stated that you are disseminating right-wing propaganda, which is exactly what you were doing with your original post. You plonked a link in this thread with no more comment than
isha wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:16 pm I am not going to post an extract as it is too grotesque. Warning that subject matter is NIH funded cruelty to animals.
Said link contained no (accurate, factual) information about the who, or the what, or the where, or the when; the details you subsequently posted do not feature in the original link. As you've demonstrated that you were easily able to find the source material, it begs the question as to why you opted instead to post the disingenuous, hyperbolic right-wing propaganda.

Reading up on that factual information, however, proves that the NIH does not fund "cruelty to animals" and the study referred to is not "grotesque". So the comment you added to the right-wing propaganda organisation's press release served only to amplify their dishonest message.

That's where the WTF-ness comes in. Otherwise, it looks like you're complaining that a respectable research institute should not conduct experiments that help us understand the factors at play in the transmission of a serious disease that is currently expanding it's range well beyond the traditional zone. You made no comment about how the researchers cleverly designed their study so that, using only 6 dogs, they could get results equivalent to using 30 animals; nor to the fact that the research was conducted according to EU animal welfare guidelines (bearing in mind that this disease is already present in the EU and getting worse); nor to the idea that banning "animal experiments" is ludicrous when the animals are an integral part of the problem. :roll:
isha wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 amThere often seems to be a general inability to adjust for nuance and the weight of things in modern discourse. Things take place or have value along an arc that travels from less to more. If we try to dismiss things on the heavy side of an arc by trying to compare them directly to things on the lighter side of an arc the world loses coherence.
To an extent I agree with you - but that applies equally to understanding that the 21st Century USofA is a place full of toxicity where nuance has been effectively abolished in favour of bipolar extremism. Any "modern discourse" that comes from the vociferous cesspits in that part of the world is as likely to be as heavily contaminated with excretement as their foodstuffs and should be thoroughly disinfected before being posted on our European platforms. 8-)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This image is the epitome of WTF for me. These fecken feudal lords stopping for a nibble under the chandeliers after zipping around in their private jets and Tesla cavalcades instructing us serfs to tighten our belts, stop traveling and maybe eat bugs for good measure.

Fcuk them. I am a descendent after hundreds of thousands of years from the hunters and warriors who survived and I will not be preached to by these lardy spoiled gobshytes.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Bill Gates had his 66th birthday party on a super yacht anchored off Turkey and all his guests, including Jeff Bezos, were helicoptered over to the party. Afterwards Jeff Bezos flew in his private jet straight to Scotland to meet Prince Charles, whose own carbon load is eye-wateringly impressive, but who told us we need a military-style campaign to save the world and stop climate changing. Meanwhile their pal Mark just launched the Metaverse, a world wherein all of us can strap on goggles and become shut in slobs while our surrogate avatars live our best lives.
Fun, isn't it. 😊
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:50 am Bill Gates had his 66th birthday party on a super yacht anchored off Turkey and all his guests, including Jeff Bezos, were helicoptered over to the party. Afterwards Jeff Bezos flew in his private jet straight to Scotland to meet Prince Charles, whose own carbon load is eye-wateringly impressive, but who told us we need a military-style campaign to save the world and stop climate changing. Meanwhile their pal Mark just launched the Metaverse, a world wherein all of us can strap on goggles and become shut in slobs while our surrogate avatars live our best lives.
Fun, isn't it. 😊
Of course, they can fly all over creation, and out into space and back at their leisure, and make all sorts of commitments for the lesser well off in society to save the planet.
But personally I think its way too late given the human psyche.

Which currently is set more so towards destruction of the planet as well as each other. You just need to focus on the effort and money that the planet overlords collectively spend on war and stealing other countries belongings says it all, and is not set to change by 2030. Just to take the US that has 750 bases in 80 countries. You have to ask yourself why. And the logging company's that have for decades decimated amazon rain forests, and continue to do so.
Just look at the television any night of the week and you see, Gold Hunters in the US , OZ and the Artic buldozing, blasting, and dredging this beautiful planet into submission for a few grains of a yellow metal that is fek all use to our existence. None of that is going to stop at all.
And some of the most destructive countries on the planet getting together to make the plans to fix it, give me a break.

Unfortunately the collective consciousness of the people of the planet is set to wanting, not giving. WE demand i phones, technology, material crap and entertainment. When all that changes to being empathetic with our fellowman, the animals and the planet, we may then see the light. But that's not happening anytime soon, as long as there is the next season of X Factor.
We would like to think we care, but our collective consciousness says we don't.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:27 am Of course, they can fly all over creation, and out into space and back at their leisure, and make all sorts of commitments for the lesser well off in society to save the planet.
But personally I think its way too late given the human psyche.

Which currently is set more so towards destruction of the planet as well as each other. You just need to focus on the effort and money that the planet overlords collectively spend on war and stealing other countries belongings says it all, and is not set to change by 2030. Just to take the US that has 750 bases in 80 countries. You have to ask yourself why. And the logging company's that have for decades decimated amazon rain forests, and continue to do so.
Just look at the television any night of the week and you see, Gold Hunters in the US , OZ and the Artic buldozing, blasting, and dredging this beautiful planet into submission for a few grains of a yellow metal that is fek all use to our existence. None of that is going to stop at all.
And some of the most destructive countries on the planet getting together to make the plans to fix it, give me a break.

Unfortunately the collective consciousness of the people of the planet is set to wanting, not giving. WE demand i phones, technology, material crap and entertainment. When all that changes to being empathetic with our fellowman, the animals and the planet, we may then see the light. But that's not happening anytime soon, as long as there is the next season of X Factor.
We would like to think we care, but our collective consciousness says we don't.
I agree very much kadman.

It is the in our faces ostentatious displays of hypocrisy that I find weirdest. How we can sit back and don't drown them in laughter.
We know these are the very people subsidising vast war machines and pointedly ignoring hunger and poverty every day of their lives and yet they lecture to us like jumped up Emperors from gilded halls.
Fecken gobshytes. They should all be made to walk barefoot in their underpants back to wherever they came from.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Now Isha, I think you've had a little bit too much to think...

You need to practice your cognitive dissonance and just accept the doublethink, otherwise the thought police will be knocking on your door!