Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Great Photographs

isha
Verified Username

Great Photographs

Post by isha »

Your own, or others.

Just seen this one. You could look at it in wonder for so many reasons!

Workers in the Civil Courts Building in St. Louis, Missouri, 1928. By W.C. Runder.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Great Photographs

Post by Del.Monte »

And not a hard hat or viz vest between them.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:02 am And not a hard hat or viz vest between them.
I am concerned for the bucket behind yer man's knee :lol: Presumably it has cement or something in it.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Might as well put this one in now as it is naturally the one that springs to mind. It gives me the absolute heebie jeebies to look at this one. :shock:
I could not go up a staircase until I was almost 10 years old. We moved into a two-storey house when I was 7 and for a few years I had to sleep downstairs. I still have to go into back of car and hunker down and cover my head if we are driving on a road with a steep incline to one side. I seriously hate heights. This photo is incomprehensible to me.

This photo was taken of workers on the Rockefeller building in 1932.

Interesting story about it - https://www.rockefellercenter.com/magaz ... mmigrants/
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Having a kip after lunch :D

Second of Rockefellers publicity stunt pictures
Attachments
article-2206050-151C4663000005DC-78_964x677.jpg
article-2206050-151C4663000005DC-78_964x677.jpg (119.5 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not a great photograph, and not mine, but relevant to a fear of heights which I also suffer from.
This is Ferguson's Viaduct on the former North Kerry railway between Limerick and Tralee. The location is south of Newcastle West and in another life I was involved in recovering track materials in the area c.1989. We crossed this viaduct which still had track on it but the footwalks walks on each side were either missing or rotten meaning we had to walk on the timber baulks which supported the actual rails. About halfway across I froze - 'don't look down' was the encouraging call from my colleagues who were well ahead of me. Don't look down but if you didn't, one false step and you were through the viaduct and onto the lane below. The photo doesn't show just how scary this viaduct was. I still don't know how I got across but I didn't dare go back over it and went down the embankment and back up on the other side.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

On the subject of heights: Build it and they will come, so 'tis said.

Well, someone built it, and I came - to see it and walk across it (as do many others!)

This is the Randa Bridge in Switzerland. Upon approaching, the most impressive sight is not so much the height above the valley floor, but watching the clouds drift pass underneath! :mrgreen:

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:20 amI still have to go into back of car and hunker down and cover my head if we are driving on a road with a steep incline to one side. I seriously hate heights.
I have a friend who is also freaked out by such routes, and he's a driver! I never knew this till I rigged up a camera to record one of my journeys through the Alps for him (dash-cam like footage, but without using a dashcam). No sooner had I started to play it for him - on a decent sized screen - than he asked me to turn it off. He really couldn't handle the sight of the vast emptiness beyond the crash barrier that marked the hair-pin bend just ahead. I, on the other hand, love driving those roads! :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

A lot of stuff by Ansel Adams would be Great Photographs. It can be seen https://www.anseladams.com/. A lot of his Yosemite national park photos are well known.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh yes, Ansel is wonderful.
I like Helmut Newton too but I won't post yet as I don't want to set a tone! :lol: Some day.
I will stick to the safe stuff and post a couple of vegetables from Edward Weston whose photography I really like too.

Post by 490808 »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:49 am Your own, or others.

Just seen this one. You could look at it in wonder for so many reasons!

Workers in the Civil Courts Building in St. Louis, Missouri, 1928. By W.C. Runder.
So where's the photographer? I doubt he is in a particularly safe spot himself?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

National Geographic chose this as the best picture of 1987, and for good reason. Here, we see Dr. Zbigniew Religa keeping watch on the vital signs of a patient after a 23 hour heart surgery he conducted. In the lower right corner, you can see one of his colleagues who helped him with the surgery fallen asleep. Dr. Religa was a pioneer of heart transplantation in Poland, and even though the surgery was considered borderline impossible at the time, he took the chance, and the operation was entirely successful. Today, even though Dr. Religa’s heart has stopped beating, the one of his patient is still running.

Zbigniew Religa conducted the first successful heart transplantation in the country, and in June 1995 he was the first surgeon to graft an artificial valve created from materials taken from human corpses. In parallel to being a surgeon he also had a successful political carreer, though outside Poland he is still chiefly known for his medical achievements. In 1993, he became a member of the Polish senate and was re-elected in 2001. He was a promising candidate in the 2005 Polish presidential elections; even as he backed out of the presidential race with only 6% of the votes, he earned significant respect from the Polish population.

In 1987, the proposed heart transplant procedure received the green light, and Religa didn’t waste a single moment. The surgery was extremely demanding, lasting 23 hours, at the end of which Religa was photographed looking at his patient’s vital signs. The angst and fatigue really transcend the image, and the more you look at it, the more you see – everything adds a new dimension. The surgeon sleeping in the corner, the bloody mess, the myriad of cables… I just don’t get tired of looking at it. But when James Stansfield took this picture, he didn’t just tell a story of a surgery – in a way, he changed the world.
the patient, 25 years later

https://www.zmescience.com/other/featur ... a-picture/
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The freshman-sophomore snowball fight of 1892-93 left Darwin R. James, John P. Poe, and Arthur L. Wheeler of the Class of 1895 looking like disconsolate pugilists.
Photographer not recorded. Princeton University Archives.

Children crossing the river on their way to school, Italy, 1959. Photo by Tino Petrelli.

Coal miner waiting for communal shower, Gelsenkirchen, Germany, 1958. Photo by Max Scheler.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I had this lovely thought yesterday. Was sitting in a chair outside looking at sun going down and I just got this feeling of spaciousness. Now I know it is not common to have as much empty space as I have around me, with very low population here, but I realised that wherever anyone stands on the planet all the space reaching up above them, through the sky, through the atmosphere, through near space and out into infinity is ours/theirs for that moment in time. Infinitely stretching above us all, all that space. And today I come upon this guy who takes Space photos, some are composites. Blooming nice!

https://twitter.com/astrofalls

The recent lunar eclipse

The eclipse with the Pleiades

Elephant Trunk Nebula

A picture he took of Saturn

Orion's Belt and Sword.

:o
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Astro photography is something that I always promised myself that I'd do some day. Maybe it's because not knowing where to start with the gear.....

The camera itself is fine, it's the telescope/tracking/finding the objects is what I've not a clue about.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:21 pm Astro photography is something that I always promised myself that I'd do some day. Maybe it's because not knowing where to start with the gear.....

The camera itself is fine, it's the telescope/tracking/finding the objects is what I've not a clue about.
https://twitter.com/astrofalls
In that account I linked to from Twitter, the guy shows photos of his various photography equipment. It looks like it might need a second mortgage to build up the proper gear! I am thinking - though I do not know - that one could likely program new gear to follow tracking paths over long exposures, using kind of like GPS or something vaguely similar.
Another consideration is the amount of computer power required to process high resolution composite images. Another big investment. But still it looks like one of the best hobbies or jobs in the world. No doubt.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 am https://twitter.com/astrofalls
In that account I linked to from Twitter, the guy shows photos of his various photography equipment. It looks like it might need a second mortgage to build up the proper gear! I am thinking - though I do not know - that one could likely program new gear to follow tracking paths over long exposures, using kind of like GPS or something vaguely similar.
Another consideration is the amount of computer power required to process high resolution composite images. Another big investment. But still it looks like one of the best hobbies or jobs in the world. No doubt.
A second or third mortgage!

I must do some learning and Googling......
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As well as photos of outer space I have a special place in my heart for electron microscope photos - especially of invisible creepy crawlies. I just love them. Colourise them, make them look nice, or leave them raw, I don't care. They are all lovely.

Deep sea worm

Tardigrades with their adorable little wiggly claws

Zebra jumping spider

The famous ant face

A head louse

Fruit fly eye

Sand fly

Another time I must post some diatoms - more gorgeous invisibleness.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I love this one.
Bathing machines with Scarborough herring fleet in the background.

I have seen ''creator'' described as London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company - but I am not sure if this is accurate. Maybe they just did not credit individuals then.
Dates to Sept 1897.
The bathing machine was a device, popular from the 18th century until the early 20th century, to allow people to change out of their usual clothes, change into swimwear, and wade in the ocean at beaches. Bathing machines were roofed and walled wooden carts rolled into the sea. Some had solid wooden walls, others canvas walls over a wooden frame, and commonly walls at the sides and curtained doors at each end.

The use of bathing machines as part of the etiquette for sea-bathing was to be observed by both men and women who wished to behave respectably.[1]

Especially in Britain, men and women were usually segregated, so that people of the opposite sex should not see them in their bathing suits, which (although extremely modest by modern standards) were not considered proper clothing in which to be seen in public.
(Wikipedia)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh why not, here are some random bathing machine images from early 1900s, no credits, just broadly vintage.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/06/b ... ntury.html

I love the idea of my own little comfie changing shack so convenient to the waves, but I do fret about horse poo.

Post by 765489 »

All drawn by horses. Could you imagine the compaints to the county councils about horse sh1t on the beaches. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

:shock: Photo by 20 year old astrophotographer Matija Jakicevic, from Croatia.
https://www.instagram.com/jakicevichap/?hl=en

I don't know what level of touch up went into this, if very much at all. But it's just lovely.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

20211219_064859.jpg
20211219_064859.jpg (198.12 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
Ladies at a slumber party in Missouri, 1926. Having loads of delicious fags and craic. Photo by Block brothers.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This guy, David Bird, used to make little figures for Lego, and then he started making Becorns, little figures made of acorns. You can see his process on some videos on his site. He gets sweet magical photos for his efforts.

Post by 765489 »

Brilliant.