Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Latvia bans unvaccinated MPs from voting

The burning issues of the day
Abella

Latvia bans unvaccinated MPs from voting

Post by Abella »

If the EU is true to its principles its should come at Latvia all guns blazing for this anti democratic act, but i think we all know it will do nothing, and anyone who does not see a problem with this , well lets just say the road this sets us all on will not end well for anyone, either vaccinated or unvaccinated.
If this stands they will will be extended to the public, no 8th booster no vote in election, bet the farm other EU nations are watching this to see if they too can go down this road, dark days lie ahead if this is allowed to stand.
https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/12/lat ... spends-pay

Re: Latvia bans unvaccinated MPs from voting

Post by 6456739 »

Good. Anti-vaxxers have no place undermining democracy and it's nice to see at least one country stand up to them.

Post by 6456739 »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm Well that's a mess of a post.

Starts by saying EU should "come at Latvia all guns blazing", then suggests they won't do anything (not a contradiction)...and then proceeds to throw in that all other countries will follow and even extend the restrictions to include denial of the right to vote to citizens.

I think the "that escalated quickly" line applies. Goes from "this probably should happen" to "it probably won't happen" to "WE ARE BEING MARCHED OVER A CLIFF" in seconds.
The same people probably moan incessantly about being told what to do by Brussels. Go figure.
Abella

Post by Abella »

The perfect replies from the usual suspects, 100% paid up members of the cult of covid, democracy cancelled in the name of covid, and you all approve?
Posters practically begging for big brother to take away all their rights.
What next, fat people banned from hospital, "get your fat ass on a fast you are clogging up the hospitals" you all be cool with that?

Post by 6456739 »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:31 pm The perfect replies from the usual suspects, 100% paid up members of the cult of covid, democracy cancelled in the name of covid, and you all approve?
Posters practically begging for big brother to take away all their rights.
What next, fat people banned from hospital, "get your fat ass on a fast you are clogging up the hospitals" you all be cool with that?
You seem to be taking this to heart for some reason. I suggest less time on anti-vaxx social media accounts and Youtube channels.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

The idea that political representatives are essentially banned from representing their constituents and casting votes because they did not undergo a certain medical procedure is an affront to democracy (if the claim is true as presented).

The "othering" that is going on is really something, the cheerleaders are those who would be first to complain about historical group-think and "oppression" of those who didn't agree with the mainstream. "Yeah, but we are right and they were wrong" is the response...
Last edited by Memento Mori on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:29 pm Good. Anti-vaxxers have no place undermining democracy and it's nice to see at least one country stand up to them.
I don't think you have a solid grasp of the meaning of the word democracy.
Nor, it seems, of the tyranny of the majority.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 6456739 »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:38 pm The idea that political representatives are essentially banned from representing their constituents and casting votes because they did not undergo a certain medical procedure is an affront to democracy (if the claim is true as presented).

The "othering" that is going on is really something, the cheerleaders are those who would be first to complain about historical group-think and "oppression" of those who didn't agree with the mainstream. "Yeah, but we are right and they are wrong" is the response...
They voted for it themselves. Meanwhile, we have anti-vaxxers othering anyone who dares offer a dissenting opinion from the mainstream here and constantly spamming threads on this topic because they seem to be unable to go a few hours without another bit of validation from the hivemind.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:43 pm They voted for it themselves. Meanwhile, we have anti-vaxxers othering anyone who dares offer a dissenting opinion from the mainstream here and constantly spamming threads on this topic because they seem to be unable to go a few hours without another bit of validation from the hivemind.
Are you arguing that parliaments by definition cannot pass laws that are anti-democratic in nature and effect? What does someone else posting "anti vax" threads or posts have to do with my comment?

Post by 6456739 »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm Are you arguing that parliaments by definition cannot pass laws that are anti-democratic in nature and effect?
Case in point. Make things up when the facts don't suit.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:14 pm I don't think you've read Abella's contributions here.

You should. They're bizarre. Mostly completely made up, or stories that he's misunderstood.

This one might be interesting, and maybe even Latvia's position is objectionable. But the anti vaxxers should nearly take Abella aside and tell him that when he leads, the point is damaged beyond repair straight away. Because we genuinely don't know if this is more of his conspiracy theory ravings or a real issue. Let someone who can put the point calmly and coherently open a thread
I personally do not agree with Abella's opinions on most things and challenge them from time to time, if I feel inclined. I am not, however, going to take anyone ''aside'' and have a word with them. Very silly and patronising suggestion.
Regardless of who started a thread or how they phrased the OP, one can still legitimately comment on the substantive issue raised without automatically forced-teaming with them. One shares ways with all manner of people - and certainly the vaccine hesitant are an extremely heterogenous group. C'est la vie.
There is an issue with democracy going on eg Latvia as per here and the EU Parliament also banned Romanian MEP Cristian Terhes from entering as he does not have a vaccine passport.
The people elect who they want - that is the basis of representational democracy, the demos have power/a voice. Whether one likes their voice or not is irrelevant.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:32 pm I thought you are a woman?

You know he doesn't care for your support or opinion.

I guess the anti vaxx campaign makes for strange bedfellows.
By your logic I must challenge you on your every opinion on every subject matter raised based upon what I think is your utterly insane insistence that the Kerry babies murder investigation be abandoned because it would be unpleasant for some people?

I don't give even half a flying feck what Abella or anyone else thinks about my opinions or support.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:26 am If the EU is true to its principles its should come at Latvia all guns blazing for this anti democratic act.
There's nothing 'anti democratic' about it. 62 of Latvia's 100 MP's voted in favour of the decision. That's democracy in action.

Latvia is stuck on less than 55% vaccine uptake. They need to do more and the government is leading by example.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:45 pm There's nothing 'anti democratic' about it. 62 of Latvia's 100 MP's voted in favour of the decision. That's democracy in action.

Latvia is stuck on less than 55% vaccine uptake. They need to do more and the government is leading by example.
A Machiavellian, I see.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Mountain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:14 pm I don't think you've read Abella's contributions here.

You should. They're bizarre. Mostly completely made up, or stories that he's misunderstood.

This one might be interesting, and maybe even Latvia's position is objectionable. But the anti vaxxers should nearly take Abella aside and tell him that when he leads, the point is damaged beyond repair straight away. Because we genuinely don't know if this is more of his conspiracy theory ravings or a real issue. Let someone who can put the point calmly and coherently open a thread
No, I don't to be honest, the thread titles rarely interest me. I did include a caveat in my post: "if the claim is true as presented" when I offered my opinion.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:53 pm Case in point. Make things up when the facts don't suit.
So what should I take "They voted for it themselves" to mean? I took it as meaning what Scotty later stated more directly:
Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:45 pm There's nothing 'anti democratic' about it. 62 of Latvia's 100 MP's voted in favour of the decision. That's democracy in action.

Post by 490808 »

And that affects 9 of Latvia's 100 MP's because the other 91 are already vaccinated.

Post by 6456739 »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:16 pm So what should I take "They voted for it themselves" to mean? I took it as meaning what Scotty later stated more directly:
Simple. The lawmakers voted for this.
Abella

Post by Abella »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:38 pm The idea that political representatives are essentially banned from representing their constituents and casting votes because they did not undergo a certain medical procedure is an affront to democracy (if the claim is true as presented).

The "othering" that is going on is really something, the cheerleaders are those who would be first to complain about historical group-think and "oppression" of those who didn't agree with the mainstream. "Yeah, but we are right and they were wrong" is the response...
This is the slippery slope we are usually warned about, forced medical procedures to do the job they where voted into do, what's next sterilization of certain people ? You might think its far fetched but once they get away with something they will push on and try to get away with something else, but some posters here will be OK with it as it was a majority vote of MP's, unbelievable ignorance of history.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

The insistence that anyone who happens to agree or share vaguely similar opinions on one specific item with someone who you deem objectionable, in this instance an "anti-vaxxer", must share wider opinions to the extent of being fellow "campaigner" on an issue is a very regressive phenomenon. It's a display of a most base and unsophisticated tribalism. Either that, or a deliberately cynical bullying maneuver to stifle discussion.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:19 pm Simple. The lawmakers voted for this.
Ah, here was me thinking you had a point to make and were engaging on the issue of whether this exclusion is anti-democratic. I'm a victim to my naive charitable nature yet again.
Abella

Post by Abella »

The totalitarians are out in force, i can only believe they are scared, got to get the vaccine into as many as possible, if this is a sinking ship everyone is going down with them, they are reluctant to countenance they made a mistake getting vaccinated and now everyone must go down with them, all in it together.
I'm still not getting the vaccine, i believe the tide is already turning, wont be long before the vaccinated are stating they did not get it, no one will admit to having the wool pulled over their eyes.

Post by 6456739 »

Abella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:27 pm The totalitarians are out in force, i can only believe they are scared, got to get the vaccine into as many as possible, if this is a sinking ship everyone is going down with them, they are reluctant to countenance they made a mistake getting vaccinated and now everyone must go down with them, all in it together.
I'm still not getting the vaccine, i believe the tide is already turning, wont be long before the vaccinated are stating they did not get it, no one will admit to having the wool pulled over their eyes.
And yet you continue to do your best to discredit independent thought and champion what is basically fascism.

Post by 6456739 »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:25 pm Ah, here was me thinking you had a point to make and were engaging on the issue of whether this exclusion is anti-democratic. I'm a victim to my naive charitable nature yet again.
I did but you opted for your usual gaslighting. Better for us both if I stop wasting my time. Last word's yours if you want it.
Abella

Post by Abella »

Panic
Cope
Desperation
all dripping from your posts, the thing is you and your ilk wish harm on me and those unvaccinated, thats a sad way to live your life.
If you are indeed correct, why are you so obsessed with the vaccine posts, you got it ,you are safe, so get to living your life, unless that is you know deep down you made a mistake and now want everyone vaccinated so your are not alone heading into uncertain territory, meanwhile i'm happy as can be, not a care in the world and will be heading out to socialize at 7 o'clock with a group of friends both vaccinated and unvaccinated , imagine that an unvaccinated person living life without fear, while you worry that you made a mistake and i am correct, i wont be thinking about you at all until i log back in here to see your follow up melt down.