Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

How much does your gas heating cost per hour?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CuriousDub

How much does your gas heating cost per hour?

Post by CuriousDub »

Recently moved in to an old semi-d that needs a fair bit of work, has a new boiler(2019), rads and triple glazed Windows.

Oddly none of the rads have TRVs, the cost per hour is roughly €2.10 per hour.

Do you guys think adding TRVs would bring this cost down at all or is the only option a big insulation job, in general though I’d be interested what your gas is costing roughly per hour for the size/BER of your home.
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: How much does your gas heating cost per hour?

Post by schmittel »

Don’t have gas so can’t help you much with a comparison, but I’m all solid fuel in BER G (not a typo!), don’t know exactly but I reckon I’m way below 2.10 an hour.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Similarly unhelpful - have no radiators (at all) in the house, so can't advise in that regard; but do have them in the campervan, fed from a gas boiler. Since I stopped using the gas for the fridge a while ago (for un-related reasons) I've been very surprised at how long an "empty" bottle of propane has continued to power the boiler/radiator (as well as oven/hob) so I would say that it's probably costing me no more than about 2€ to heat 30m³ of poorly insulated space for a month.

I would question whether your pipes are properly insulated - if not, dealing with that would be more urgent than fitting thermostatic valves. Check the settings on the boiler too, though. In my last house, we took up a "save loads of money" offer and had a new boiler fitted; our first month's bill was more than for the whole of the previous year. The installers had messed up and the boiler was running way too hot, even with the radiators turned down.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

CuriousDub wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:37 pm Recently moved in to an old semi-d that needs a fair bit of work, has a new boiler(2019), rads and triple glazed Windows.

Oddly none of the rads have TRVs, the cost per hour is roughly €2.10 per hour.

Do you guys think adding TRVs would bring this cost down at all or is the only option a big insulation job, in general though I’d be interested what your gas is costing roughly per hour for the size/BER of your home.
It depends on the kW output of your boiler. Gas is about €0.078c per unit at the moment so a 24kW boiler will cost about 0.078x24 = €1.87/hr plus 13.5% VAT = €2.12 so your figure is pretty accurate if you've a 24kW boiler running at max output, though you also have the standing charge and carbon tax to add on too.

TRV will certainly give you more control. Whether they'll bring the cost down or not depends on how you use them. Better insulation would have a much higher impact on your bill than TRV's tbh.

I have a thermostat downstairs and upstairs and I've the max temp set to 23°. No TRV's. With modern smart systems like Nest, Hive, and Climote, I don't think need TRV's.

There's still grants available for upgrading insulation > https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy- ... on-grants/.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

In a previous house I had gas heating. I went down the insulation road and it made a crazy difference to the gas reduction. I can't remember the exact figures but the length of time the heating was on dropped massively with a reduction in gas bills.