Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Be careful what you Wish for.

The burning issues of the day
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Be careful what you Wish for.

Post by CelticRambler »

It'll be interesting to see if this French action is replicated across the EU, and if so, whether the UK opts to align itself with dodgy Chinese standards or half-decent EU surveillance:

France asks search engines and app stores to remove Wish
Last year, the French administration in charge of consumer rights and fraud started investigating Wish. At the time, the direction générale de la concurrence, de la consommation et de la répression des fraudes (DGCCRF) suspected that it was a bit too easy to mislead consumers and sell counterfeit goods on Wish, such as sneakers and perfumes with images incorrectly showing the logos of famous brands.

The French administration then ordered 140 different goods on Wish — most of them were imported products. This time, they wanted to find out whether those products were safe or not.

95% of toys that they acquired on the platform didn’t comply with European regulation — 45% of them were deemed dangerous. When it comes to electronics goods, 95% of them also shouldn’t be available in Europe, and 90% of them were dangerous in one way or another.
The authorities are, at the moment, still at the "ask politely" stage, but given that they've identified so many fundamental problems with the service, I can't see Wish changing its business model in time to avoid a ban.
Scotty

Re: Be careful what you Wish for.

Post by Scotty »

The first thing that happens when you click that link is you have to give Cookie consent. I'd prefer if they asked the browser people to put a 'one for all' cookie consent switch built into browsers!

If idiots want to buy junk from cheap Chinese websites let them at it.

Post by 490808 »

Scotty wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm The first thing that happens when you click that link is you have to give Cookie consent. I'd prefer if they asked the browser people to put a 'one for all' cookie consent switch built into browsers!

If idiots want to buy junk from cheap Chinese websites let them at it.
Plenty of cheap Chinese junk on Amazon and plenty of fakes sold through Amazon Prime.

I've tried to report a few of them, but Amazons systems are crap and they don't want to know. They are dealing with too much volume to be bothered and if they do the seller just changes the name and does the same.

I've also found some UK sellers who sell through Amazons own logistics system are no better. Many sell the same cheap chinese tat without even rebranding it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Most of the worlds car manufacturers are dependant on cheap chinese tat, and have been for years
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

WE might like to think we can push china to the sidelines in terms of our versus there's manufacting of goods and quality.
In reality we cannot, china has a huge volume of cheap labour that we will never be able to compete with.
From batteries in EVs to fuel injection systems and catalytic converters in more conventional cars - and everything in the middle, imports from China has increased manifold.

One of the biggest reasons for this is the sheer scale of it all. Massive production volumes bring down prices - a basic economic principle - and that has worked extremely well in China's case.

With no shortage of labour, costs can once again be kept to the minimum.

And gone are the days when China-made products were considered inferior in quality. Tech advancements have meant reliability has gone up which in turn means that a superior product can be procured in larger numbers and at significantly lower costs that most other countries can hardly match.

It is quite clear why OEMs looked and look at China as the perfect solution in their bid to rake in profits.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Look, if we all stop buying Chinese tat how will they finance their plans for world domination? How will they finance their invasion of Taiwan? We must support them and teach Mandarin in our schools so that our children can get jobs as collaborators, camp guards etc. - Lucky I'm in a good mood today or I'd really tell you what I think of the fascist regime that control the People's Republic of China.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

And gone are the days when China-made products were considered inferior in quality.
Thats where I disagree. China make good stuff and the make cheap tat.

When a large parts of your manufacturing output is of copies of other products where you are competing on price you cut corners to get the price down. So its just as possible to buy say a laptop power supply from China that is perfectly safe and fully certified as it is to buy a copy which had no certification never been safety tested and has the potential to start a fire.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Even I have to agree with that, long gone are the days when China and Hong Kong were noted for cheap, poorly made toys. China makes top quality stuff as well as a tsunami of utter rubbish and then they have the cheek to refuse to take back what is essentially no more than plastic waste as soon as it's manufactured - by them!
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm Even I have to agree with that, long gone are the days when China and Hong Kong were noted for cheap, poorly made toys. China makes top quality stuff as well as a tsunami of utter rubbish and then they have the cheek to refuse to take back what is essentially no more than plastic waste as soon as it's manufactured - by them!
You couldn't even have made your post without the chinese influence as its a pretty sure thing that from your motherboard upwards its got made in china on it.
I sometimes laugh at many opinions of chinese tat that we are forced to buy, yet we would be unable to survive with out them.
W e laugh at their plastic goods, but we welcome their electronic input into our communications, and our vehicles, quite happy to take their ppe gear. We cant build without chinese steel, and want to hold china responsible for ever increasing amounts of non biodegradable plastic products, but we applaud good old yankee knowhow when they drop thousands of tons of nuclear waste product infused munitions on any country they like, on to innocent women and children , and no body cries foul.

We are definitely a hypocritcal species ;)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

As I said, they produce a lot of high quality items - many of them vital - but that does not excuse their production of worthless rubbish nor does it let those unscrupulous importers/retailers of said rubbish off the hook. Also, someone needs to explain to their undemocratic leaders that the Age of Empire is over.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

In the interests of balance, can I point out that the site being banned is USAmerican. It's the yanks that aren't respecting EU rules, so the EU has told them to GTFOuttaHere. Given the mood in France towards the "GAFA" quartet, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a warning shot intended to make Amazon also pay proper attention to what stuff their marketplace sellers are sending into the Single Market.

Post by 490808 »

Very good article on Chinese sellers on Amazon https://www.ecomcrew.com/chinese-seller ... ng-amazon/
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm As I said, they produce a lot of high quality items - many of them vital - but that does not excuse their production of worthless rubbish nor does it let those unscrupulous importers/retailers of said rubbish off the hook. Also, someone needs to explain to their undemocratic leaders that the Age of Empire is over.
I think its fair to say that a lot more countries besides china produce shitloads of rubbish, and lie in their advertising and fraudulent practices just to convince us that western stuff is far higher quality. Just think of the lies VW told to sell their "low" emission vehicles.

And what happened their, the very same as fraudulent banks, they got to pay their fee, not a fine, a fee, and then carry on regardless.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:41 pm In the interests of balance, can I point out that the site being banned is USAmerican. It's the yanks that aren't respecting EU rules, so the EU has told them to GTFOuttaHere. Given the mood in France towards the "GAFA" quartet, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a warning shot intended to make Amazon also pay proper attention to what stuff their marketplace sellers are sending into the Single Market.
:lol: :lol: When did the US ever respect anything that didn't have american interests at the heart of it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm I think its fair to say that a lot more countries besides china produce shitloads of rubbish, and lie in their advertising and fraudulent practices just to convince us that western stuff is far higher quality. Just think of the lies VW told to sell their "low" emission vehicles.

And what happened their, the very same as fraudulent banks, they got to pay their fee, not a fine, a fee, and then carry on regardless.
Too true, but at least the Germans seem to have lost their appetite for World domination unlike our 'friends' to the east.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

China can produce high quality stuff alright but if they think they can pawn off cheap rat, they will. However, they are not the only country don't it.

I've experienced it professionally in multi million contracts and even after proofing they didn't follow the process as required, they denied it. I've multiple examples.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Anyone who buys music (records, CDs) knows to avoid China like the plague. No respect for copyright at all. A complete scourge.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 pm Too true, but at least the Germans seem to have lost their appetite for World domination unlike our 'friends' to the east.
I think maybe your compass bearing needs to do a 180. Us policy is seeking a firmer hold of the globe as can be clearly seen from their war on the"axis of evil", and their intent on protecting their own interests, and not anyone elses.

More and more fear to make us all believe we need to distrust the chinese., it used to be the russian boogeyman, now its the chinese :D

Its the old smoke and mirrors trick. I dont think any of them are to be really trusted. They have all done despicable things to their own citizens, as well as other countries citizens , all in the name of making things better.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Everyone does despicable things. Only some regimes have the ability to admit their mistakes and learn from them.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

2u2me wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:37 pm Everyone does despicable things. Only some regimes have the ability to admit their mistakes and learn from them.
I dont recall any of the capitalist regimes admitting to anything wrong that they have done during the last 50 years of war on the globe,or anybody else. Its not what any of them do.They pat each other on the back, and move on to the next conflict.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:41 pm In the interests of balance, can I point out that the site being banned is USAmerican. It's the yanks that aren't respecting EU rules, so the EU has told them to GTFOuttaHere.
I've never shopped on WISH but I see you have to register to even browse the site (no thanks). Is it a marketplace or are all items sold directly by WISH themselves?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Scotty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 amIs it a marketplace or are all items sold directly by WISH themselves?
I've never used it myself, but it's (primarily? entirely?) a marketplace, and that's what's been of concern to the French regulators. They noted that even when unsafe products were reported to the site/sellers, they were not withdrawn from general sale - just deleted from one marketplace seller's account and added to another.