Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will Russia Invade Ukraine Tonight.

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Will Russia Invade Ukraine Tonight.

Post by Guburnor »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:03 am It’s not hard to find official Russia sources, they publish a lot of information that is not reported by the western media.

Fine, it's not hard to find. It's not hard to credit either.

I'm just asking that you include links to source of the material you share. That way people can see for themselves if it has been published by the Russian Ministry for Foreign Affairs for example, or just been reported in something like thesaker.is

Post by 490808 »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:07 am Stop and think.
Land mines are a defensive weapon
Who is attacking and who is defending?
Why would the Russians sow a mine field that their soldiers would have to advance over to capture the objective?
A moment of thought Is all it take to see through the propaganda bull shit.
Of course the Russians will use landmines. Even when you are attacking you want to prevent some areas being used by the enemy for counter attack or insurgency.

If they are only defensive why did the US use a hundred thousand of them in the war with Iraq?

If there is a tactical advantage to be gained by using landmines either side will use it if they have them.

When the Russians are encircling a city I doubt they have the troops on the ground to completely cover every angle so a few landmines dropped in by artillery will prevent anyone escaping and free up troops for the attack. I'm not condoning there use but they are just another weapon that will be used if a use can be found for them.

Edit> But it doesn't mean they have, just saying its perfectly normal for an attacking force to use mines.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I see on bbc news some ex military are getting ready to go to ukraine with supplies to help. I suspect the russians may see this as uk trained military personnel getting involved. Not sure its a good move. Uk government said they may face charges when they return for getting involved in the conflict. Why let them go in the first place.
I also saw a 45= year old civvie getting on a bus " to go and fight"

madness.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Celchick wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 pm I agree with much of that. It's like there's a fashion now not to trust scientists - people who have been working, training and studying in the field for decades! - and there's now a clamour to discredit them. Stuff like "so called 'experts'"... how are they "so-called"? It's real "2+2=5" stuff.
What happens if people who have been working, training and studying in field for decades disagree?

How do you know who to trust?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mountain wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:26 pm Not at all, quite the opposite. My standard position is, where expertise is needed, science, medicine, go with the experts. It's common sense, they have the qualifications, they can filter the information, they know the proper sources. When it's more a matter of subjective opinion, I usually get news from reputable sites like the BBC to form mine. Now, both doctors and the BBC can be wrong, they are not infallible, but they have checks and oversights in place and a responsibility to get things right. Whereas Not ThatDevNull can stick a photo with any old caption and he has no responsibility to get it right, and there is no check in place when he's wrong.
I note you are bringing in the science and medicine angle in your last few posts and while I will not belabour it over more posts than this, your bundling of war reportage with the recent science fails to form the solid ground you seem to think it does.

Even just today a scientist who has advised the UK govt for 25 years says he was TOLD to ''correct his views'' when he questioned a Covid graph.
And on the other side of the pond Walensky of the CDC has been public in the past few days about how wrong she and her advisors were - ''No-one spoke of waning''....'' she said. The big problem she fails to acknowledge is that very MANY other scientists did speak of waning and problems, but they were silenced.

The UK Nudge Unit has been freely admitted to, and problems exist now trying to row back the huge public anxiety purposefully seeded by their behavioural manipulation of public opinion.

Many adverse events are coming to attention, all of which many SCIENTISTS pointed towards for ages but they were discredited. And even the fact of the shots being Gene Therapy has been recently proven - though one was laughed at for even using the phrase not a short month ago.
Lockdowns are being proved to have caused incredible harm. Etc etc.

The same applies to war reportage which has been evidenced over long history - the fog of war is not a made up thing. Weapons of Mass Destruction, the Hutton report spring to mind just for starters, and the BBC was not blameless in these.

The very idea that ''expertise'' must always be the foremost recourse is not good advice - and certainly not that expertise always must be presumed to have checks and balances in place. Skepticism is essential, it is not merely a contrarian affectation.
And when the respectable sources get things wrong, as they so often do, they do not necessarily suffer - all they generally do is wait for the passage of time to paper over the cracks in people's outrage.

And by the way I do not consult any of the crazy sites that are popular among some - they are all usually ridiculous and an insult to intelligence.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-exp ... g-12555800

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Perhaps of interest to some - John Pilger on war reporting and why it is not honest.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/ ... -iraq-lies

John Pilger is a great reporter, who has been sidelined, but for my money he is up there with the late Robert Fisk as being as honest as a human can be, reporting on dark events, given that they and we all have natural biases.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 am Ask your self , why is the electricity, internet and mobile phone service still running in Ukrainian?
Had to bring this comment back for a fresh outing, having just read about the circumstances* in which we (the West) learnt about the killing of (another) Russian general: the invaders - following what you described as the American model - destroyed 3G and 4G mobile networks in the area they'd occupied. Unfortunately for them, they forgot that their shiny new secure communications system relied entirely on ... 3G and 4G connectivity. :lol: So when someone had to break the bad news to Moscow, they had to borrow (?) a local SIM card and phone home over an insecure connection, which was promptly intercepted and broadcast to the world. :roll:

* that link looks like it might redirect to another story in due course.

Post by 316670 »

Celchick wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:56 pm Yes, these stunts dont help. No thinking about the bigger picture, and more than a little glory seeking.
If it was the American embassy jonjo would be saying the Marines should have shot him dead, it American soil, how dare he invade.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Celchick wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:28 pm Fair point (although what are the chances of an outlier being right and everyone else wrong?)
Some very important progress in science has been thanks to some outlier researching something everybody else thought was nonsense! Not really the thread for it so will leave it at that!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:28 pm If it was the American embassy jonjo would be saying the Marines should have shot him dead, it American soil, how dare he invade.
Except it's not American soil.

Post by 316670 »

kadman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:30 pm I see on bbc news some ex military are getting ready to go to ukraine with supplies to help. I suspect the russians may see this as uk trained military personnel getting involved. Not sure its a good move. Uk government said they may face charges when they return for getting involved in the conflict. Why let them go in the first place.
I also saw a 45= year old civvie getting on a bus " to go and fight"

madness.
Idiots the lot of them, look who they are fighting with
The caliber of idiot going over there

Lets see what Joe Biden thinks of the whole situation

Post by 316670 »

Mountain wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:26 pm Not at all, quite the opposite. My standard position is, where expertise is needed, science, medicine, go with the experts. It's common sense, they have the qualifications, they can filter the information, they know the proper sources. When it's more a matter of subjective opinion, I usually get news from reputable sites like the BBC to form mine. Now, both doctors and the BBC can be wrong, they are not infallible, but they have checks and oversights in place and a responsibility to get things right. Whereas Not ThatDevNull can stick a photo with any old caption and he has no responsibility to get it right, and there is no check in place when he's wrong.
Here is your BBC, impartial my arse.
The mouth piece for the UK Government and the uninformed idiots lap it up. Have you seen the media outrage that Putin is going to cut of Gas supplies to the Eu as "Punishment " for the sanctions!
Idiots are foaming at the mouth that he is retaliating, is Russia supposed to just accept it, according to the media yes. Clown world.

Post by 316670 »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:58 pm Had to bring this comment back for a fresh outing, having just read about the circumstances* in which we (the West) learnt about the killing of (another) Russian general: the invaders - following what you described as the American model - destroyed 3G and 4G mobile networks in the area they'd occupied. Unfortunately for them, they forgot that their shiny new secure communications system relied entirely on ... 3G and 4G connectivity. :lol: So when someone had to break the bad news to Moscow, they had to borrow (?) a local SIM card and phone home over an insecure connection, which was promptly intercepted and broadcast to the world. :roll:

* that link looks like it might redirect to another story in due course.
I have a bridge to sell, i'll give you a good price. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I would say that an impartial news service would be a pretty rare thing. All would have some level of bias.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:42 pm Here is your BBC, impartial my arse.
The mouth piece for the UK Government and the uninformed idiots lap it up. Have you seen the media outrage that Putin is going to cut of Gas supplies to the Eu as "Punishment " for the sanctions!
Idiots are foaming at the mouth that he is retaliating, is Russia supposed to just accept it, according to the media yes. Clown world.
In general the BBC reporting is very good but I have noticed that impartiality goes out the window with some reporters who are on the ground. However, what's RTE excuse? Considering the dangers of WW.III. breaking out if any there's NATO intervention cheer leaders like Joe Duffy are foolishly leading the charge from their perceived safety in Montrose. Clare Byrne was at it today too and couldn't seem to grasp that whether Russia has 4,000 nukes or 40 it makes no difference if they are fired off we've all had it.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 316670 »

kadman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:54 pm I would say that an impartial news service would be a pretty rare thing. All would have some level of bias.
The BBC claims to be impartial. We know thats not true, but they claim it when pushing UK Government propaganda
The BBC has published a comprehensive set of new rules and guidance alongside new training as part of its commitment to ensure the highest possible standards of impartiality across the organisation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... y-measures
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Great to see the resident dribbler going into overdrive on Russian state propaganda, must be really scalding his hole that big, strong Vlad is looking a lot less big and strong right now. :lol:

Ukraine recieving Polish Mig 29s now,too. I would suggest an extra duvet tonight for anyone worried that annoying Vlad will result in the end of the world. The extra duvet protects against Covid too.

Post by 316670 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:35 pm In general the BBC reporting is very good but I have noticed that impartiality goes out the window with some reporters who are on the ground. However, what's RTE excuse? Considering the dangers of WW.III. breaking out if any there's NATO intervention cheer leaders like Joe Duffy are foolishly leading the charge from their perceived safety in Montrose. Clare Byrne was at it today too and couldn't seem to grasp that whether Russia has 4,000 nukes or 40 it makes no difference if they are fired off we've all had it.
I blame social media, people today want the news in Tweet size, they dont want detail, and the best way for these news sites to generate views is a short attention grabbing headline, "Joe Duffy says we should send Irish troops to fight Russia" you see that and you click on the link to see what this gobshite is going on about, job done for RTE , they have got a view and advertising money in the bag.
If you want good impartial news you have to stay away from Government funded news BBC/RTE and the private news sources, Reuters/CNN/Guardian/Telegraph/ and the rest, they are just running stories to attract views and most of the time its not the news they report but a personal opinion on events.
If you want somewhat impartial old school news and not opinion, you have to look to the Financial news, the people who read these sources, in simple terms CEO's of companies, and they will make Billion Dollar decisions on the facts of the matter, they don't want a reporters opinion, just give the facts and then they will decide to invest or not.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Banshee Bones wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm I would suggest an extra duvet tonight for anyone worried that annoying Vlad will result in the end of the world. The extra duvet protects against Covid too.
Russia just announced they are restricting exports of raw materials outside Russia until at least 2023. An extra duvet for the whole of Europe might come in handy, because people will not be able to heat their homes.

Vlad has a few sanctions of his own up his sleeve it would appear.

Post by 316670 »

Banshee Bones wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm Great to see the resident dribbler going into overdrive on Russian state propaganda, must be really scalding his hole that big, strong Vlad is looking a lot less big and strong right now. :lol:

Ukraine recieving Polish Mig 29s now,too. I would suggest an extra duvet tonight for anyone worried that annoying Vlad will result in the end of the world. The extra duvet protects against Covid too.
We seen last week Ukraine applying for fast tracked membership of the EU, this announcement was quickly followed by Georgia, Moldova and Kosovo doing the same, the EU responded in a positive manner, the half wits where overjoyed, "that will stick it to the Russians , we will bring these countries into the EU family".
Do you know who was not happy?
Turkey, they where pissed, naturally nothing about Turkey on the main stream news, but I will bring you up to speed, Turkey has been trying to join the EU for decades with no joy, the EU is now open to Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova and Kosovo joining, (a lot of work to be done) the Turks now wondering why as a member of NATO with the second biggest armed forces they would go and fight Russia for these EU countries that don't want Turkey in the EU club.
The situation not looking so attractive for Turkey, the first NATO member to break ranks and trade with Russia?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:12 pm The BBC claims to be impartial. We know thats not true, but they claim it when pushing UK Government propaganda
The BBC has published a comprehensive set of new rules and guidance alongside new training as part of its commitment to ensure the highest possible standards of impartiality across the organisation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... y-measures
Of course the beeb can believe whatever it likes, but the uk population dont believe they are impartial as a news broadcaster.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:44 pm If anyone wants any cheap firewood let me know :mrgreen:

World is gone fckin nuts.
Sanctions hurt those they are meant not to hurt, ordinary people. No one else. They create a scarcity of a shitload of essential stuff, thereby creating increasing prices.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Poland are doing some sort of swap, leaving their planes over to the Ramstein base in Germany so Poland will be out of the supply loop when they are later sent to Ukraine.
I read it on an official Polish government site. But I have tried 3 times to add the link and it keeps posting my date and cocoa balls recipe. Sorry 😏
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Celchick wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:13 pm I'm still wondering why they think "there are neo nazis in Ukraine" is such a "gotcha". Of course there are - there are neo nazis all over Eastern Europe. How that's a reason/justification for relentless shelling attacks and driving out thousands and thousands of refugees... I'd love to know. I did ask.
You must have missed it: it's because those nasty Nazis were also developing US germ warfare labs, and Vlad has a moral obligation to drive all those women, children and elderly out of the country for their own good. Pretty much the same way Russia dealt with those US-sponsored labs in China weaponising the SARS-CoV-2 virus (but we didn't hear about the shelling there coz the MSM is keeping a lid on it for ... reasons. Or something like that. I think. :roll: )
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

The Russians and the Chinese have long memories (one of the benefits of not having to worry about elections I guess)