Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Re: WTF moment of the day

The burning issues of the day
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Don't want to be an arse but my GUBU moment just yesterday was Jessica Alves saying they have frozen their sperm so that when they get their uterus transplant they can fertilise the egg(s) that will be implanted in themselves. I honestly did not ever think I would have to contemplate such twists in the tale of our species.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailyma ... plant.html

Almost every day these days provides GUBU moments, I find.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Guburnor
Site Admin

WTF moment of the day.

Post by Guburnor »

Following on from the GUBU moment of the day thread, please put your WTF moment of the day in here.

Did you see something that made you stop and think "WTF, how did we get this far as a species?"

If so let us know.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm Don't want to be an arse but my GUBU moment just yesterday was Jessica Alves saying they have frozen their sperm so that when they get their uterus transplant they can fertilise the egg(s) that will be implanted in themselves.
Being a semi-reclusive old git, I had to google "Jessica Alves" to understand the context of the above. Google obliged me with several photos

My eyes, my eyes ... :o

Gotta find that toad I almost strimmed this morning and try to compensate for the damage. :mrgreen:
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Seeing that disgusting poo thread from AH on Boards has been transplanted here :cry:
isha
Verified Username

Re: Re: WTF moment of the day

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm Holy moly... what the f am I looking at on google..

Isha !!!!!!

:lol:
Sorry, lookit of I have to see it, others do too. Thems the rules.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

If this person wants to be outwardly female - have at it. Want me to call her, her/she?? Delighted to.

Sit back while she has a womb transplant when there are young women having hysterectomies and should be first in line ? Hell to the fcuk no!!!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

minor technical question:

If this person has a baby in their womb with their sperm...is this technically a clone? :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

peasant wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:55 pm minor technical question:

If this person has a baby in their womb with their sperm...is this technically a clone? :mrgreen:
No. Because it is what happens with most of us mothers - we use our own eggs. Jessica would use their own sperm instead, and someone else's egg.
It just conjured a funny image for me of a ...well...lad getting themselves pregnant.

It's not funny if it ever happens as the baby would have to grow in a toxic chemical soup, as high doses of hormones etc and anti rejection drugs would be needed to maintain pregnancy. Hopefully it will be a good while before it is possible - although it is likely to eventually be possible. If I am around I will think more about it then.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

isha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm Don't want to be an arse but my GUBU moment just yesterday was Jessica Alves saying they have frozen their sperm so that when they get their uterus transplant they can fertilise the egg(s) that will be implanted in themselves. I honestly did not ever think I would have to contemplate such twists in the tale of our species.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailyma ... plant.html

Almost every day these days provides GUBU moments, I find.
Ah feck ya isha.

I had Jessica Alba in my mind for some reason.

Big fecking difference I will tell ya.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Having Jessica Alba on your mind is nothing to be ashamed of!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm another who had to Google Jessica Alves.

Geez I must live under a rock or something.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 am I'm another who had to Google Jessica Alves.

Geez I must live under a rock or something.
If this is what's happening to us out in the sun, you're probably better off staying under that rock! :mrgreen:
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

that wasn't "trans" - it was an anti-Luas sticker

Trains, kids, are our future
Hold The Door
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This can be my WTF moment of the day.
Hopefully no senior physicist comes along before nightfall to assert that everyone knows the earth is flat - which would usurp this WTF for today.
The International Olympic Committee has praised the weightlifter Laurel Hubbard’s “courage and tenacity” as she prepares to become the first transgender athlete to compete in an Olympics on Monday. The IOC’s medical and science director, Dr Richard Budgett, said “everyone agrees that trans women are women”.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... mpic-debut

I have gone up market with my media sources for today - the Gordian, no less.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Would there be a reward ??? :D :D
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Yesterday I discovered Hasbulla, WTAF?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:58 pm I posted somewhere that I was going to buy a boat and start up a boat people cult in preparation for sea levels apparently rising. But I don't know what thread I posted it in. It was meant for peasant's 5 nations that will survive the climate change apocalypse.

If anyone finds it can the tell the post your in the wrong thread.
Is that allowed? Surely it can be in any thread it wants and it's not for you or any of us to assume there's a right thread for it? :?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PogMoThoin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:12 pm Yesterday I discovered Hasbulla, WTAF?
Dems the lads in Palestine, arnt dey? :?:
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 pm Dems the lads in Palestine, arnt dey? :?:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:lol: That's a right WTF? sure enough!

But I can't help thinking it's like the Tories on one chair, the DUP on the other and Ireland/the EU in the middle trying to get them to behave! :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Have seen and know of the principle, but haven't seen that one before. Pretty cool!
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

It's like seeing a ghost :o
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:22 pm WTF It's 20:22 on a Friday night and I'm still working 😵
It's FRIDAY??? WTF? :o
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The problem with this WTF moment from a major medical organisation in America is males and females react to medications differently, other things too like alcohol for that matter, males and females require different considerations eg one keeps an eye on their prostates while the other keeps an eye on their ovaries etc, males should not have blood donations from.an ever- pregnant females.

Those are just the off the top of me head reasons why this is weird.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:27 pmthis WTF moment from a major medical organisation in America
After reading your post I had to do a bit of research into what these guys were about. They really have taken to these woke principles of equity and critical race theory. (Their equity strategic plan).
We envision a nation in which all people live in thriving communities where resources work well;[.......]as well as embed racial justice and advance equity within and across all aspects of health systems.
They are the same organization that declared obesity a disease and racism a public health threat, so not much respect for the English language either.

A couple of months ago the former editor of their journal (JAMA), Howard Bauchner, stepped down after the journal released a podcast merely questioning whether structural(institutional) racism even existed in health care. Howard was away on administrative leave at the time and had no idea about the podcast or the tweet, yet has taken full responsibility. This was the offending tweet. (now deleted)
“No physician is racist, so how can there be structural racism in healthcare? An explanation of the idea by doctors for doctors in this user-friendly podcasat from the great...”
The most offensive moments from the podcast from the former deputy editor Ed Livingston(who also stepped down amid the controversy)?
"structural racism is an unfortunate term to describe a very real problem"
"taking racism out of the conversation would help" to ensure "all people who lived in disadvantaged circumstances have equal opportunities to become successful and have better qualities of life"
My WTF moment was researching these guys.