Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by 95438756 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:24 am Was in going through a couple of the forums today. All I could think of is argumentative people banging away at their keyboards and shouting at their screens. Every time I browse through it I come away feeling how pathetic people can be. I'm sure there are alot of boards members feeling the same but either don't know about gubu or have read negative reviews by the ignoramuses on there who want them to stay to listen to their ludicrous horseshite opinions.
There are die hards there who are loyal to the end and remain true believers in the slogan "it will all work out..." In saying that there are others hanging on, waiting for the announcment which I think is likely, "Yes, we screwed up with Vanilla layout. Now we're rolling back..."
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm I also thought Dorothy Lives was a woman.... just because of their name. And as for Walter Mitties and re-regs..forget about it 😬
I was right the first time :?

Post by 6456739 »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:30 am There are die hards there who are loyal to the end and remain true believers in the slogan "it will all work out..." In saying that there are others hanging on, waiting for the announcment which I think is likely, "Yes, we screwed up with Vanilla layout. Now we're rolling back..."
Nothing's getting rolled back. I recall reading years ago that the old vbulletin system was unfit for purpose. Not being a tech guy, I can't elaborate.

However, the thing was clearly rushed. The result was a disaster. There were virtually no mod tools and while that situation has improved somewhat, a lot of venerable posters have left the site only to be replaced with edgy new accounts spouting all sorts of drivel.

Boards is dying. There is no saving it. No new source of new users, just the same culture war muck that stains the rest of the internet.

Post by 95438756 »

Yes, A LOT of edgy new accounts have sprouted. Put them on ignore or, if their profile is private, write down the handle. Then, go into your own profile and edit profile: Go to Ignore List. Type in the new toerag. Also, the Closed Accounts in your ignore list are readily identifiable, so that they can be UNINGORED, thus freeing up your Ignore Space! I use this quite a lot.
Yep, boards on life support.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

This clip sums up a typical debate over on board

Post by 6456739 »

gugleguy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:18 pm Yes, A LOT of edgy new accounts have sprouted. Put them on ignore or, if their profile is private, write down the handle. Then, go into your own profile and edit profile: Go to Ignore List. Type in the new toerag. Also, the Closed Accounts in your ignore list are readily identifiable, so that they can be UNINGORED, thus freeing up your Ignore Space! I use this quite a lot.
Yep, boards on life support.
Good idea but the endpoint is seeing half the posts on busy threads obscured. At that point, why are you still there?

Post by 95438756 »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:04 pm Good idea but the endpoint is seeing half the posts on busy threads obscured. At that point, why are you still there?
I like seeing the cards issued. Threads closed. Becoming rarer. Some mods are just laissez faire while other mods will ban you for a single disagreemeable sentiment.

Let's say I stick around for when
"Things get classy" :| :P :mrgreen:

Post by 6456739 »

gugleguy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:21 pm I like seeing the cards issued. Threads closed. Becoming rarer. Some mods are just laissez faire while other mods will ban you for a single disagreemeable sentiment.

Let's say I stick around for when
"Things get classy" :| :P :mrgreen:
Apologies. I meant that rhetorically, as in if you dislike the place, why are you still there? It wasn't a question I was posing directly to yourself.

Post by 95438756 »

Thank you for the clarification.
Boards is like the space station in elite dangerous which is falling apart. People can be rescued. But I remain on, looking at the shit unfold from the cool vantage point
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

ancapailldorcha wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:46 am Nothing's getting rolled back. I recall reading years ago that the old vbulletin system was unfit for purpose. Not being a tech guy, I can't elaborate.

However, the thing was clearly rushed. The result was a disaster. There were virtually no mod tools and while that situation has improved somewhat, a lot of venerable posters have left the site only to be replaced with edgy new accounts spouting all sorts of drivel.

Boards is dying. There is no saving it. No new source of new users, just the same culture war muck that stains the rest of the internet.
I'm not so sure about it dying. I joined in 2015 and there were threads about it's impending demise even then.

The move to Vanilla was and continues to be dreadful. It has obliterated what I can only describe as a feeling of cohesion or community. It's simply not the same. Loads of great posters are gone but that is something that happens anyways, just the way of things.

It still seems quite popular though. There's a steady stream of threads being created in certain forums and not everyone is a troll or agitator. Smaller forums have probably been impacted upon though. Some friends of mine were active in Forum Games but since the migration the place is dead. Mind you a number of them were on their last legs pre Vanilla.

I don't think Boards is going anywhere anytime soon.

Hey though, remember VOAT and all that madness? It was both hilarious and terrible 😬

Post by 95438756 »

Could have been the boards anthem in it's heydey

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:46 am Nothing's getting rolled back. I recall reading years ago that the old vbulletin system was unfit for purpose. Not being a tech guy, I can't elaborate.

Well the culture war started Vs gamers and boards was originally website for quake*. It became good when it was apolitical. The whole world is engaged in a culture war right now and the new owners of boards, as much as they try, can’t just gaslight that it’s not happening anymore.

All of the culture war stuff is being pushed by people that call themselves progressives, pushing regressive ideas like identity politics, being culpable for the sins of people with the same skin colour, there was a time we’d call them racists, They usually make themselves known by using phrases such as ‘white male’ a lot, usually along with some choice words too.

Post by 95438756 »

There's more thread derailment these days too on boards. Poster A might be warned for this by a moderator, while Poster B can do it without impunity by the same mod because they're buddies.

Post by 6456739 »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:32 pm I'm not so sure about it dying. I joined in 2015 and there were threads about it's impending demise even then.

The move to Vanilla was and continues to be dreadful. It has obliterated what I can only describe as a feeling of cohesion or community. It's simply not the same. Loads of great posters are gone but that is something that happens anyways, just the way of things.

It still seems quite popular though. There's a steady stream of threads being created in certain forums and not everyone is a troll or agitator. Smaller forums have probably been impacted upon though. Some friends of mine were active in Forum Games but since the migration the place is dead. Mind you a number of them were on their last legs pre Vanilla.

I don't think Boards is going anywhere anytime soon.

Hey though, remember VOAT and all that madness? It was both hilarious and terrible 😬
You may well be right. I have a feeling that we'll see quality contributors by and large leave and be replaced by troll accounts and edgy culture warriors.

Boards, for all its flaws does something few places do. It's layout means people see different opinions. There are of course various fora across the web doing the exact same thing but I think Ireland's small size and Boards range of fora makes it unique.

Ultimately, though somebody needs to be willing to subsidise it. It doesn't turn a profit as far as I know and the second Distilled Media ditches it, I think that's it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:06 am You may well be right. I have a feeling that we'll see quality contributors by and large leave and be replaced by troll accounts and edgy culture warriors.

Boards, for all its flaws does something few places do. It's layout means people see different opinions. There are of course various fora across the web doing the exact same thing but I think Ireland's small size and Boards range of fora makes it unique.

Ultimately, though somebody needs to be willing to subsidise it. It doesn't turn a profit as far as I know and the second Distilled Media ditches it, I think that's it.
That second part is so not true though - how many times do you see "that's not part of the discussion, we've removed posts - move on!!"

Mods with an axe to grind control content - discussing Ghislaine Maxwell for example could easily encompass Prince Andrew, Jeffrey Epstein, Me Too, false accusations, the fashion industry, etc yet they close down any tangents - even those that are a perfectly normal part of the discussion.

It's an agenda driven slag heap of woke idiots being indulged - and the likes of Joeytheparrot and others given carte blanche to derail threads they don't like and abuse posters who don't share their wierd views.

New posters are immediately accused of being re-regs, no one new is given a chance.

I wished it would disappear up it's own arse when I left - and I have no doubt that will be the case.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 765489 »

ancapailldorcha wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:06 am
This is what I think will eventually happen. I would suspect that near the end of the support contract with Vanilla whoever owns it will be going through the figures to see if they should renew it for another year or cut their losses.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

I remembered another poster who I liked but who seems to have disappeared, Mzungu.

Post by 95438756 »

El Guapo is another
Stinkle
Smurgen

Post by 95438756 »

.....And now on boards.ie, the Thread ' "Dumbing Down Current Affairs radio on Irish airwaves" in Radio Forum was Deleted. I did not start this thread, but made a post which got three likes from posters who were not noobs.
Some poster hurt a mod who's a friend of a radio presenter, poor fella, yet in other forums like Current Affairs other threads are let run on like trainwrecks.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I'm done with that other place, today I got a warning for telling others not to feed the troll. The trolls win, it is no place for discussion

Post by 95438756 »

My ignore list on boards is full on boards.ie. And there are no more closed accounts in my ignore list.
Yup, happy hunting ground for edgy warriors.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:01 pm I'm done with that other place, today I got a warning for telling others not to feed the troll. The trolls win, it is no place for discussion
The resident scat muncher has the admins cleaning up after [insert pronoun here], undesirable thread criticizing his beloved Verruca? Closed, after several dormant guises were revived to declare the leak™ a "nothing burger". Identical script deployed, community mods deliberately turn a blind eye. Recently, a trainwreck in AH was zapped out of existence after our intrepid hero lost the run of himself fantasizing about drugs in amateur sports. When you curry favour with influential figures, you have carte blanche to banish many a cringe fest. Scratch me, suck you. The other site is circling the drain into complete irrelevance.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

When everyone just sits around playing soggy biscuit with each other, as they almost certainly do, it comes as no surprise to note that there’s no new life to come out of that place.

I’ve seen dead people who had more life left in them.

I blame one asshole in particular there, and he’s neither a mod nor a frequent poster. He ruined it and cost people their jobs, and users their community.

He should feel very ashamed of that when he sits quietly on his own at night.

Post by 95438756 »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:01 am

I blame one asshole in particular there, and he’s neither a mod nor a frequent poster. He ruined it and cost people their jobs, and users their community.

He should feel very ashamed of that when he sits quietly on his own at night.
In 2014 a female poster did the very same. Her handle was along the lines of "peaceful resignation" I know her actual handle.
Regarding a thread she didn't like in PI. In fact she joined boards just to post in the thread She reported most of the other posters in the thread including well respected mods. And they were punished.
I'm sure She does not feel ashamed about it
She closed her boards account shortly after.
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Really like that Abdominal Dr Phibes poster. Not afraid to challenge cosy consensus thinking, and he’s extremely witty. Has a lovely turn of phrase as well. Tier-1 poster.