Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Reeling in the Years

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
BrianD3

Reeling in the Years

Post by BrianD3 »

The RTE summer exodus is well underway which means half hour news at 6 pm followed by RITR. 2010 last night. Earlier years have been repeated multiple times at this stage and I usually watch them. The more I watch them the more I associate segments with the accompanying music which makes the segment harder hitting and the music more powerful.

One of the most memorable parts is from 1974
Oil spill at Whiddy Island
Invasion of Cyprus
Dublin and Monaghan bombings
Song: The Air That I Breathe (The Hollies)

I was also thinking about 1982.
Falklands War
Song: Theme from Harry's Game (Clannad)

Oh yeah, it is almost 40 years to the day since the GUBU murders. I think the song used for this in the programme was Private Investigations by Dire Straits.

Re: Reeling in the Years

Post by 765489 »

I used to like watching it but what puts me off it is the Steely Dan intro tune. Its an ear worm to me. There's another of similar vain on Virgin Media, but not as good as the one on RTE. You'd think they would add some new material to it, RTE must be jammed with archive footage down the years.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Those people fawning over Britains queen in tonight’s one was particularly nauseating.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Plenty more Reeling In the Years repeats again this summer, there's a surprise. Anyhow it was 1990 this evening. Kind of poignant as Sinead O'Connor features in it. I still think of the 90s as modern yet obviously it is a long time ago. Many/most of those featured in his evening's programme who were alive when it was made in 2000 are now dead. Jack Charlton, George HW Bush, Thatcher, Brian Lenihan, Mandela, Pavarotti, John Paul II, Saddam. I'm not sure what my point is.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

765489 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:55 pm I used to like watching it but what puts me off it is the Steely Dan intro tune. Its an ear worm to me. There's another of similar vain on Virgin Media, but not as good as the one on RTE. You'd think they would add some new material to it, RTE must be jammed with archive footage down the years.
The Virgin Media one is called Don't Look Back in Anger and its theme tune is the song of the same name by Oasis. For me, Reeling in the Years is put together much better, while the latter is clearly trying to copy the template already set. Of course, Reeling in the Years uses RTE archive footage, while VM's offering relies heavily on TV3/Virgin Media. That in itself means it cannot really cover the '60s, '70s, '80s and most of the '90s. By the way, give me that Steely Dan song (overplayed as it is!) any day over that particular Oasis song!

The novelty is well worn off by now. Once you have seen a particular episode a few times, you do not really want to see it again unless a particular segment has some significance for you, such as the recent repeats of 1988 and 1990 that featured Sinead O'Connor.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Should this be moved to Television?
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The 1983 Reeling In The Years has a great distillation of the All Ireland football final - the fouls & the drama all condensed into around a minute or two of footage.

I have 1962-2009 on my DVD recorder’s HDD. The DVD releases of the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s were heavily edited.

Post by 678904673 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:50 am The 1983 Reeling In The Years has a great distillation of the All Ireland football final - the fouls & the drama all condensed into around a minute or two of footage.

I have 1962-2009 on my DVD recorder’s HDD. The DVD releases of the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s were heavily edited.
The 83 Final was basically 70 minutes of GBH on a pitch
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:50 am The 1983 Reeling In The Years has a great distillation of the All Ireland football final - the fouls & the drama all condensed into around a minute or two of footage.
All to the sound of Michael Jackson - Beat It. With some great editing.

I think RITY is better than the BBC's Rock N'Roll years. Another great segment is Maradona in the 86 World Cup - Jimmy Magee's "different class" commentary with Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name playing.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The TG4 version Siar Sna was good to - they did 1960-2009 which were broadcast between 2005 and 2010. Although most of their content was related to Ireland rather than world events.