Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by Del.Monte »

Poor old Marty is harmless but his programmes are like something that have broken through from the era of 15 minute sponsored radio slots from the 1960s.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I like old Marty tbh!!!

When I had my MRI on my hip I got Nova on - first song was Going Underground, not helpful!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 765489 »

He's too cheerful for me that early in the morning but agree he's actually a nice enough divil. My father met him once and said he was a gentleman.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

**spluttering into my mint tea!!**😳

Who is saying anything against Marty in the Morning??!!... If compelled to listen to radio early in the day then who the hell else would one even bother with?!
Marty, plus John Kelly in the evening, switching to John Creedon afterwards, is the only tolerable radio there is. Cheesus!

Hope the results are good, NCD. Years ago I went for one privately and had to stay over in Dublin, and it was only after I was home that my brother in law informed me someone had been murdered previously either in the room I stayed in or an adjacent one. Fexxake!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

My local AIB bank in Dublin early afternoon.
I was queuing for cash ATM,
Another q for human customer service.
The present lady was asked why she hadn't signed her own passport. Good question.
Ladys Reply:
"Piish Pitter Patter witter witter it IS my passport !!!"
There's a q meanwhile about 6 people behind her.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

All the shite in the Irish media about the 'trailer trash' court case in the UK. Who cares?
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

People in the check-out queue in front of you who don't make any effort to fetch one of the dividers to place behind their own stuff, so that you can start piling your own onto the belt. :evil:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Also: children who can't live (or eat) without ketchup, and the parents who think you're some kind of Neanderthal because you don't have bottle of it in the fridge, so insist on buying one for you. :evil:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:10 pm People in the check-out queue in front of you who don't make any effort to fetch one of the dividers to place behind their own stuff, so that you can start piling your own onto the belt. :evil:
Ohhh I had this the other day and was fit to kill!!!

Gobshite behind me piling loads of beer and squashing my rhubarb yoghurts (not a euphemism!!!)
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I spoke with a woman in a bar last night, about random things, like showing good manners and how having a good mother who taught me to act respectfully had helped me be a good husband in turn. Honestly, I know I’m fairly old school, but I’m fine with that.

Like I said, reference to being a good husband, wearing a wedding ring, not trying to chat her up or anything. I’m literally old enough to be her father.

She decided to bring my “cis-male privilege” into a discussion when I was telling her that young men don’t know who to look to as role models and that young women don’t seem to know how to encourage those young men to be ‘good men’ either. After a bit of her prattling on about equality and how women don’t need men to protect them etc, she pulled the pin on the privilege grenade and fecked it at me. I told her she’d better stop and consider her own “privilege” before going any further down that path.

She got very upset with me because apparently I have no idea about her background and upbringing, and how she came from a single parent family and they were poor and blah blah blah. Her father left when she was young and her mother had to raise her and her brother on her own, and her brother’s had a hard life and been yadda yadda yadda.

The feckin’ irony. It’s not amusing. It’s also not at all surprising.

The whole interaction began because she was annoyed that I held the door for her. [Facepalm]

Post by 95438756 »

On a bank holiday weekend like this one, you'll encounter the Classic - textbook gobshite shopping in your local Dealz store.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 pm I spoke with a woman in a bar last night, about random things, like showing good manners and how having a good mother who taught me to act respectfully had helped me be a good husband in turn. Honestly, I know I’m fairly old school, but I’m fine with that.

Like I said, reference to being a good husband, wearing a wedding ring, not trying to chat her up or anything. I’m literally old enough to be her father.

She decided to bring my “cis-male privilege” into a discussion when I was telling her that young men don’t know who to look to as role models and that young women don’t seem to know how to encourage those young men to be ‘good men’ either. After a bit of her prattling on about equality and how women don’t need men to protect them etc, she pulled the pin on the privilege grenade and fecked it at me. I told her she’d better stop and consider her own “privilege” before going any further down that path.

She got very upset with me because apparently I have no idea about her background and upbringing, and how she came from a single parent family and they were poor and blah blah blah. Her father left when she was young and her mother had to raise her and her brother on her own, and her brother’s had a hard life and been yadda yadda yadda.

The whole interaction began because she was annoyed that I held the door for her. [Facepalm]
Ah sweet Jesus , can these people just f**** off to another Island. Like maybe the one in Lost.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Gapless playback not being a feature of Groove Music or Spotify (if playing local files)

Much easier just to play a record or CD.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

People buying 2-stroke power equipment (think chainsaws and that kind of thing), taking them out of the box, getting them started and eventually turning the tool into a warranty mess because they don't understand they need to adjust the feckin' carburettor.

I'm trying to research a particular tool and every bloody review I'm seeing so far is by eejits who don't know the basics. They spend more time talking about brands and what else they own, and NEVER stick a screwdriver in there to tune the carb. WTF. You can't fix stupid.

And honestly, if you're buying a chainsaw and holding that close to self, you should at least know the above needs to be done. Let alone all the other darwin award applicant level things these videos contain.

Yeah, just add reviews to the list. Morons.

(I might be having a bad weekend here. I should get an early night.)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm a tad cranky this morning. Have finally stitched together the story about what is happening in the early hours of the morning in this very rural locale.

Recently I have been waking at 5ish which is not that fecken great. I'm happy to wake at 6 but 5am really encroaches on my needed 8 + hours. Anyway I can hear dogs. Far away but still echoing enough through the valleys that this is likely to be what's been waking me.

On it goes for a flipping age. After a while I try to go back to sleep. But shortly enough there's another sound, like a faint distant radio. This is so weird as last week I heard the same at about 5.45 am and when I finally went out to check I could hear what sounded like drunken singing going past the house.

Some new people have moved in about a mile away and I presumed it was overflow from maybe a house warming that was going on til dawn? Whatever. Fair enough.

But today here's this bloody singing again and it's coming closer and really reverberating off the mountains and filling the valley. I go outside and spot passing the end of the lane a different person who moved in , further away. A person with a super loud voice, being from across the Atlantic, shall we say. And they are stalking down the country road walking their dogs, singing, nay bellowing, at the top of their lungs.

I'm presuming now that these are the same dogs that had been furiously barking earlier, which means this person has disturbed two and possibly three valleys full of people. In the early hours.

Now, I'm all for free expression and living your best life but there are elderly people in this valley and at least two distant houses this loudly singing person would have passed where there are infants and toddlers sleeping.

It seems very presumptuous to be imposing yourself upon the mountain people in this way. We are not merely the quaint set pieces in the beautiful, idyllic scenery who are in some kind of state of suspended animation unless required to participate in some conversation or activity that is functionally contributing to an American pastoral dreamscape of life in the old sod. 🤬

Grrrrrrrrrrr. And I am too polite in real life to actually ever say anything to them. 😡
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

@isha

Have you considered the nuclear option?

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I will be keeping options open. 👍

Post by 765489 »

JayZeus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17 pm People buying 2-stroke power equipment (think chainsaws and that kind of thing), taking them out of the box, getting them started and eventually turning the tool into a warranty mess because they don't understand they need to adjust the feckin' carburettor.

I'm trying to research a particular tool and every bloody review I'm seeing so far is by eejits who don't know the basics. They spend more time talking about brands and what else they own, and NEVER stick a screwdriver in there to tune the carb. WTF. You can't fix stupid.

And honestly, if you're buying a chainsaw and holding that close to self, you should at least know the above needs to be done. Let alone all the other darwin award applicant level things these videos contain.

Yeah, just add reviews to the list. Morons.

(I might be having a bad weekend here. I should get an early night.)
Saw a similar thing yesterday on YouTube while looking for a demonstration of an auger working on a digger. Came across a video of this guy who had one attached to a three point linkage at the back of a tractor operated by the PTO. The idea of putting an auger on the back of a tractor is ridiculous to me anyway, but the two boys, because obviously your not going to get any sort of proper downward force from the linkage of a tractor, decided to stand on the tractor linkage at each side and jump on it while the PTO was operating to try and get the auger deeper into the ground.

They called it a fail but to me it was a pair of dangerous fckin idiots who shouldn't be publishing videos like that.
Last edited by 765489 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:19 am... looking for a demonstration of an auger working on a digger.
Drop in some day and I'll show you one in 4K UHD full-colour, surround sound real life!

Although you might have to unwrap the delivery plastic from it first. :mrgreen:

Post by 765489 »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 am Drop in some day and I'll show you one in 4K UHD full-colour, surround sound real life!

Although you might have to unwrap the delivery plastic from it first. :mrgreen:
I'm planning on putting up around 60 metres of palisade fencing so don't want to spend the winter digging holes along a hedge. What are they like operating in amongst the roots of hedging CR? I need to get it tight in at a hedge ? The auger would be 1 foot in diameter and go down to 700mms for the concrete bases of the rsj posts. Probably on a 5 ton.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:37 am I will be keeping options open. 👍
I'm living close to Dublin Airport and between that and the constant drone of the motorway I was thinking yesterday one of these days I'm going to sell up and move down to the arsehole of no where so I can have peace and quiet away from the constant noise.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 pm I spoke with a woman in a bar last night, about random things, like showing good manners and how having a good mother who taught me to act respectfully had helped me be a good husband in turn. Honestly, I know I’m fairly old school, but I’m fine with that.

Ah gaw on. You were chatting her up, and she gave you the brush off :lol: :lol:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

People who arrive at the checkout in a supermarket with a load of purchases and then are seemingly stunned by being expected to pay for them. This, inevitably, triggers a frantic search in a cavernous handbag for cash or card. These people should be shot on sight.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:32 amWhat are they like operating in amongst the roots of hedging CR? I need to get it tight in at a hedge ? The auger would be 1 foot in diameter and go down to 700mms for the concrete bases of the rsj posts. Probably on a 5 ton.
That'd be a different creature to mine, I think, which is only 200mm diam and intended to work with a 1-ton machine; and I have no plans to test it against a load of tree roots, so can't be much help there. Although I will be able to tell you how well it copes with drilling into concrete (or what gets called "soil" in the wetter months :mrgreen: ).

Mine was got for planting posts of a lighter nature (raised beds, low retaining walls, etc) but I'm waiting to get some quick-connect/quick-release thingummies before unwrapping it.

Post by 95438756 »

Crap Café Customers who still patronize same establish before the pandemic, this species could be readily identified in MacDonald's. And in shopping mall food courts. From toddlers to very old. Always cranky who lower the tone for the other patrons.
Beginning to re colonize a nice cafe near you.: Time to reconsider a takeaway menu!