Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL

The burning issues of the day
Del.Monte
Verified Username

IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL

Post by Del.Monte »

Listening to Pat Kenny's programme this morning and it really brought home what an utter shambles our government are presiding over. Thousands of people arriving having destroyed their travel documents in transit - WTF!! They should be sent back on the next flight. How many people should Ireland accept or do we wait until we are a minority in our own country? 110 hotels already in use for migrants - a nice little earner for the hotel sector and these people won't be on to Tripadvisor complaining about standards. Listening to the lengthy voxpop and the government would want to wake up.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: IMMIGRATION OUT OF CONTROL

Post by isha »

Anyone who said anything in advance of any consequential influx was and still is (largely) considered by default to be a racist. Racist is such a terrible thing to be that it is also, therefore, a terrible thing to be called. It will shut most people up quicker than being called a sexist or a misogynist or a transphobe. This means only the most belligerent people speak out, and possibly do include real racists
As a result no one sensible can say a word about this.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

Surprised at you OP. Thought it would be started by somebody else.
Not surprising about immigration tho. Ireland is one of the weakest points of entry in the EU and most porous.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Totally agree with the sentiments about allowing proper investigation of those coming into our country. We dont do it, and have never done it. We have an open arms policy and welcome everyone, no matter who or what they are. I have never, nor will i ever apologise to any body for saying that our own people should be top of the pecking order in our own country. Its not the case now, and never will be.
Those sentiments dont make me a racist, they make me a realist. I love all races, but I love my own a little bit more ;)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:03 am Surprised at you OP. Thought it would be started by somebody else.
Not surprising about immigration tho. Ireland is one of the weakest points of entry in the EU and most porous.
I'm infuriated about the whole situation as I have watched it getting further and further out of control over the years. It's a great operation for providers of poor quality accommodation, hotels, builders, farmers and other vested interests looking for cheap labour, all sorts of NGOs set-up up to 'manage' the situation etc. Then the woke media getting up on their high horses about the rise of the 'far right' as they see anyone who dares question uncontrolled immigration. We have no idea of the actual size of our population (forget the census farce - I still haven't been contacted about the latest one) and we certainly have no notion of who is in the country. A National ID card - oh we couldn't have that, it would be against civil liberties. Instead we have ceremonies around the country swearing in thousands of 'new' Irish every year - who voted for this??
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

FF and FG are so occupied at out PCing and out Wokeing one another that they can't see the wood for the trees. Their legacy makes for sickening reading. No houses, bankers and big business above the law, a half competent Police force where Garda drivers are not even qualified to turn on emergency lights responding to a call and where those few visible Gardaí seem to ignore crime committed under their very noses, a judicial system which is apparently only there to line the pockets of fatcat lawyers, while violent criminals hardly serve a week behind bars, habitual and generational welfare spongers living high off the land while hardworking people can't put a roof over their heads or food in their bellies.
I could go on all day but I'd probably bore the pants off everybody telling them things they are seeing for themselves. I'm the last person in the country who would be a torch bearer for SF, but some change has to happen in our political system for politicians to sit up and take notice and currently, the only obvious option is SF.
Too many of our TDs are far too comfortable in their seats, they need a good hard kick in the arse to encourage them to take note of what is really happening in the country as regards immigration, criminality, homelessness, not just a glimpse through rose tinted spectacles , at the Utopian society they think exists. If putting SF in government, even for one term, is the price of that, then I'm willing to pay that price. As the saying goes," You won't know if you like it until you try it" . If you try it and decide you don't like it, then you can spit it out, I'd imagine there are millions of people in the world who would love the opportunity to do just that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Politicians will get a rude awakening the next time they go hunting for votes. And about time. And yet another building non compliance issue coming down the road that the government will have to foot the bill for, because their own fire regulation checks on apartments fell short of the mark. Another area thats not regulated but you are told they are. How do I know....Well an apartment owner has been asked to fork up 20k+ for remedial works.

Its a god damn joke.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am Politicians will get a rude awakening the next time they go hunting for votes. And about time. And yet another building non compliance issue coming down the road that the government will have to foot the bill for, because their own fire regulation checks on apartments fell short of the mark. Another area thats not regulated but you are told they are. How do I know....Well an apartment owner has been asked to fork up 20k+ for remedial works.

Its a god damn joke.
You see, I can't understand this. As with the Priory Wood complex and despite the light touch regulation beloved of FF when it came to the building industry, the rules are still there and must have been broken. This, surely, is a criminal offence, and regardless of whether the developer has gone broke or hived off his money to a mistress or a bank in the Caymans, this charge should still have to be answered. If the criminal charge is not brought against the developer then it should be brought against those individuals in the Local Authority responsible for issuing a Fire Certificate. This, however, is called accountability, and our politicians don't do accountability.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

This is exactly why the government has to pick up the tab. Its because its a fire certification problem. And that lands on the governments door step, and they cant run away from it. Its the reason why there is very little about it in the media at the moment. Bigger question for the banks certifying mortgages for such properties is the fact for mortgages to be granted, there has to be full disclosure from both parties for the contract to be signed and in place. The fact that bank surveyors passed on the property inspection for the banks for the mortgages, but never realised the fire safety issues means that the banks never gave full disclosure, knowingly or otherwise could create a major shitstorm for the whole industry.

Is this why the government made tentative comments about it in the media. We have all sorts of government regulations but absolutely no accountability or enforcement on anything in the building industry. Tip of the iceberg. If it was US they would be building jails for these crooks that scribble a name on a cert, or leave it off.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 pm This is exactly why the government has to pick up the tab. Its because its a fire certification problem. And that lands on the governments door step, and they cant run away from it. Its the reason why there is very little about it in the media at the moment. Bigger question for the banks certifying mortgages for such properties is the fact for mortgages to be granted, there has to be full disclosure from both parties for the contract to be signed and in place. The fact that bank surveyors passed on the property inspection for the banks for the mortgages, but never realised the fire safety issues means that the banks never gave full disclosure, knowingly or otherwise could create a major shitstorm for the whole industry.

Is this why the government made tentative comments about it in the media. We have all sorts of government regulations but absolutely no accountability or enforcement on anything in the building industry. Tip of the iceberg. If it was US they would be building jails for these crooks that scribble a name on a cert, or leave it off.
Well put.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:27 pmWell put.
I was asked onetime to sign off completion certs for multiple apartment blocks as the lead architect. I refused because I am not an architect. I was then asked to sign off all the completion certs as the lead engineer. I refused as I was not a qualified engineer. I was outraged naturally enough, and complained to the head of the company. I lost my job there shortly after. But there was no where to go and complain, and the superior who asked me to do this is now associated with a multi million pound company in the UK, still pulling the same strokes no doubt.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:33 pm I was asked onetime to sign off completion certs for multiple apartment blocks as the lead architect. I refused because I am not an architect. I was then asked to sign off all the completion certs as the lead engineer. I refused as I was not a qualified engineer. I was outraged naturally enough, and complained to the head of the company. I lost my job there shortly after. But there was no where to go and complain, and the superior who asked me to do this is now associated with a multi million pound company in the UK, still pulling the same strokes no doubt.
Integrity is becoming a rare thing.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I think this is an example of how things take FOREVER to get things done in this country , and how this costs us in the long run. There's no reason why the immigration status can't be finalized in weeks/months rather than years.

It's closely followed by the inability to hold anyone to account. Look at the people walking around with 50plus convictions and getting slaps on the wrist, no consequences for the builders for dodgy apartments, quare blocks, etc.

Then it's the planning system where someone not even living in the area can hold up development for YEARS!
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:33 am FF and FG are so occupied at out PCing and out Wokeing one another that they can't see the wood for the trees. Their legacy makes for sickening reading. No houses, bankers and big business above the law, a half competent Police force where Garda drivers are not even qualified to turn on emergency lights responding to a call and where those few visible Gardaí seem to ignore crime committed under their very noses, a judicial system which is apparently only there to line the pockets of fatcat lawyers, while violent criminals hardly serve a week behind bars, habitual and generational welfare spongers living high off the land while hardworking people can't put a roof over their heads or food in their bellies.
I could go on all day but I'd probably bore the pants off everybody telling them things they are seeing for themselves. I'm the last person in the country who would be a torch bearer for SF, but some change has to happen in our political system for politicians to sit up and take notice and currently, the only obvious option is SF.
Too many of our TDs are far too comfortable in their seats, they need a good hard kick in the arse to encourage them to take note of what is really happening in the country as regards immigration, criminality, homelessness, not just a glimpse through rose tinted spectacles , at the Utopian society they think exists. If putting SF in government, even for one term, is the price of that, then I'm willing to pay that price. As the saying goes," You won't know if you like it until you try it" . If you try it and decide you don't like it, then you can spit it out, I'd imagine there are millions of people in the world who would love the opportunity to do just that.
The only obvious option is “open borders, no deportations” SF??
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I'm not having a go at at anyone but I think it's far too late to tackle this.
They are here and not going anywhere without radical action.
That's not going to happen in Ireland. The parish will think you're mad and thats a fate worse than death in Ireland.

Another problem is that there is no organized and coherent opposition to anything the government do.
It doesn't matter what peoples opinions are because the people don't matter to those in power.
No to Nice, I think you mean Yes to Nice.
Good Paddy, have a loan.
The only political parties opposed to immigration are on the fringe and have a lot going on with their beliefs.

Like everything else, we take it and live with it.
I really don't see any fight in Irish people anymore.
Which was probably the plan all along.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't think we ever were fighters, except drunkenly amongst ourselves. But not actual political fighters. Not people who fight for principles or ideas. No one much turned up in 1916, even.

We have a tendency built in over generations of doffing and then milking the brim of our caps to whoever are our superiors. Landlords, the Churchmen, now globalists lords

We are just more well off now ( on average, though there is a LOT of poverty). We doff the cap to our EU masters, we do what global mega-corporations tell us re tax and regulations, we hold out our arms first and most willingly and in greatest numbers when told to line up. We lockdown hardest, we are the most woke and virtuous, we quickly jettison the idea of nation, agree before others that it is a dirty concept, and put no limits on those who can come in.

We jump as high as WEF or Agenda 2030 or the chaps in Davos tell us. And more. Yessir. Whatever you say, sir!

We are very good, compliant laboratory mice who can be bought and sold by the sniff of newfound wealth.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Earlier today I watched a clip from RTE online re Ukrainian men who have come here and find there is no place and have to sleep at the airport and get food at the Capuchin day centre.

To tell the truth it made me very sad to hear them. For a while I wondered if I could offer one of them temporary accommodation here.

But I know that it is not feasible as I'm often alone in the house when himself works away and I can't have a stranger male come to live here. Plus we are so far from anywhere useful to a family that it would not be fair.

But it got me thinking that there is an element of cruelty in the false promises our government has made for virtue points on the world market. They have let it be known abroad that there is no limit and thus people in need are coming with false hopes. In olden days a gentleman who led a lady on with false promises of marriage was rightly despised. I can see similarities here.

The people coming are also not only the women and children we were assured would be saved, they are men. It's understandable for a man to flee from fear of death too. I would too, I would want my sons also to flee.

But there needs to be a lot more frankness and honesty in this debate. And other solutions found. Not all parts of Ukraine are under attack - perhaps we can help temporarily resettle fleeing populations closer to home? We have to stop having a culture war on this issue and be real.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's a shambles but in a country which can't even look after its own citizens what can you expect.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Lets just ignore every crisis and hope it just goes away
quodec

Post by quodec »

Can I ask a blunt question? I thought all Ukrainian males of fighting age we’re not allowed to leave their country. So, Who are these young guys coming into Ireland I wonder? Apologies if I’ve missed something here.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I heard the Ukrainian ambassador say that not providing all their refugees arriving here with accommodation is a disgrace - that's gratitude for you! She went onto to say that they are fighting for us and all of Europe - nobody asked them to. As I have said previously it's just two former Soviet states fighting it out with each other and if it had been left at that it would have all been over by now. An unpopular opinion but I think it's a rational one.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

quodec wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:50 pm Can I ask a blunt question? I thought all Ukrainian males of fighting age we’re not allowed to leave their country. So, Who are these young guys coming into Ireland I wonder? Apologies if I’ve missed something here.
I have heard the rumour that Ukrainian men can get permission to leave, if they come up with 3-5k euros. If not they get inducted into the army.
Something I have heard going around, and suspect that these sorts of opportunities will be fully availed of by criminals involved with trafficking.

And of course Ireland does not check, and will take them anyway. You are more likely to be stopped as an irish person at a check point and asked whats your name and where are you going. Than any checks on a non irish citizen............we cant do that now.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:08 pm I heard the Ukrainian ambassador say that not providing all their refugees arriving here with accommodation is a disgrace - that's gratitude for you! She went onto to say that they are fighting for us and all of Europe - nobody asked them to. As I have said previously it's just two former Soviet states fighting it out with each other and if it had been left at that it would have all been over by now. An unpopular opinion but I think it's a rational one.
It was an unpopular position to hold.................but not anymore. Its slowly dawning on more folk that we cant fix all the problems in europe, after all we area miniscule country in a huge political landscape . We should not attempt to try to box above our weight. Its something we cant do anyway.

As for your opinion, its a similar one to my own.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Did you see the Ukrainian ambassador saying that the lack of beds for Ukrainians was "unacceptable" ??!!
So the 1000s of Irish homeless then , that's acceptable ?

fecking bitch ...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:52 am Did you see the Ukrainian ambassador saying that the lack of beds for Ukrainians was "unacceptable" ??!!
So the 1000s of Irish homeless then , that's acceptable ?

fecking bitch ...
If people come here for refuge from whatever affliction it might be, war, famine disease then it is unacceptable that they should be sleeping on the streets or in airports or whatever.
As to the 1000s of Irish homeless, they are not the responsibility of the Ukranian ambassador and it hasn't just happened since the summer of 2022. The responsibility for that lies firmly in the camp of successive incompetent, corrupt, greedy politicians and businessmen who have manipulated the assets of this country for their own benefit. One or other of FF/FG have been in government in this country for over 100 years, plenty of time IMO, to solve the housing peoblem, and at least have some sort of strategy to cope with a crisis should it arise.