Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you listening to at the moment?

The universal language of mankind
nlgbbbblth

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Terrible rain outside; had a tiring & busy weekend so relaxing with

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours from The Capitol Years 20CD box.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The rain and wind have passed through here and I am off to bed after the guts of 16 hours online - too tired for any music apart from the 'sailing by' music on the BBC.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Still on a bit of a Queen buzz and re-listened to Hop Space. Thankfully Queens only foray in to the disco/dance genre. My recollection of it was that it awful and that hasn't changed. With the exception of Under Pressure which is a classic. The rest of the album is a car crash
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:00 pm Still on a bit of a Queen buzz and re-listened to Hop Space. Thankfully Queens only foray in to the disco/dance genre. My recollection of it was that it awful and that hasn't changed. With the exception of Under Pressure which is a classic. The rest of the album is a car crash
I like it

Cool Cat
Body Language
Action This Day

all good
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Listening to

Various - Before The Fall

A compilation of songs subsequently covered by The Fall

https://acerecords.co.uk/before-the-fall
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

U2, especially Achtung Baby, Joshue Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum.

Just pure magical for me, especially Achtung baby, I was 15 when I first heard it in 1993 ... so special.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

Been listening to The Kinks a fair bit lately.

Fantastic Band.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Kinks are amazing. Great run of albums from Face To Face to Muswell Hillbillies.
Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

A lot of white noise.. New baby has taken over my Spotify playlist...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:55 am U2, especially Achtung Baby, Joshue Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum.

Just pure magical for me, especially Achtung baby, I was 15 when I first heard it in 1993 ... so special.
There are somethings you can't un-see......U2......you should receive a lifetime ban from GUBU. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

I bought this Cuban Jazz record off of a recommendation of your man who runs the record shop I regularly go into (our tastes align a fair bit and we haven't had many arguments about music, thankfully!).

I quite liked the album, but it is different to the music many people here would like. Recommended if you like Latin Jazz music.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Recent release according to Discogs

I have a lot of 60s & 70s jazz, latin & easy listening records but very little after 1980

Post by 678904673 »

Van Morrison, Its Too Late to Stop Now. Live album recorded around 1973. Not a huge Van fan. But credit where its due. He's absolutely cracking and the sound quality is excellent
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:50 am Van Morrison, Its Too Late to Stop Now. Live album recorded around 1973. Not a huge Van fan. But credit where its due. He's absolutely cracking and the sound quality is excellent
One of the best live albums I have ever heard.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The Complete Motown Singles Volume 11B: 1971

Unbelievable series

Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:42 pm There are somethings you can't un-see......U2......you should receive a lifetime ban from GUBU. :mrgreen:

Post by 678904673 »

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. Granted its a double album so there's a bit of filler in there. But it's still excellent with some brilliant tunes. And arguably the best solo album by any Beatle
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:16 am All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. Granted its a double album so there's a bit of filler in there. But it's still excellent with some brilliant tunes. And arguably the best solo album by any Beatle
Good album - agree it could have done with more editing.

My favourite ex-Beatle albums are Macca's Ram (1971) and McCartney II (1980) with Lennon's Plastic Ono Band (1970) also up there.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

This arrived yesterday so playing one disc a day.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/gar ... -playback/
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

I bought this album the same day as I got the Cuban Jazz record from my last post on this thread.

Some people here might remember this band from the 80s.

Blue in Heaven was a post-punk band from Dublin that disbanded in 1989, but later reformed as Blue Angels which released music up until 1994.
They had a fair amount of support from U2 and Blue in Heaven toured with them, along with Echo and the Bunnymen and New Order.

Solid album which has a lot of influence from Joy Division (not surprising, considering Martin Hannett produced it).

Sadly though, it's one of those albums that hasn't been released on CD or any Digital Platform (Spotify, Apple Music etc), but the songs are on YouTube and you can probably download them from certain websites if you would like to listen but don't have a Record or Cassette player.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Good album although I prefer the second one Explicit Material.

They're one of those Irish bands whose output seems to be completely bypassed when it comes to inclusion on compilations or release of reissues.
Wouldn't happen if they were English.

My favourite track of theirs is the Martin Hannett produced version of Across My Heart.

Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:06 pm They're one of those Irish bands whose output seems to be completely bypassed when it comes to inclusion on compilations or release of reissues.
Wouldn't happen if they were English.

The problem with them (from Island Record's view, probably) is that they are a very obscure band nowadays, meaning there is probably little to no money in a
re-release for them.

Having said that though, they might've just missed a window of opportunity. With the popularity of bands like Fontaines D.C. in recent years, I think it shows that there are a fair amount of people who would like Blue in Heaven if they gave them a listen.

But I wouldn't expect any re-releases anytime soon.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Mr Daniel F. O'Leary wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:32 pm The problem with them (from Island Record's view, probably) is that they are a very obscure band nowadays, meaning there is probably little to no money in a
re-release for them.

Having said that though, they might've just missed a window of opportunity. With the popularity of bands like Fontaines D.C. in recent years, I think it shows that there are a fair amount of people who would like Blue in Heaven if they gave them a listen.

But I wouldn't expect any re-releases anytime soon.
This came up in another discussion - https://gubu.ie/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17 ... 800#p35800.
It's not just Blue In Heaven. There's a lot of Irish bands from that era whose work has escaped retrospectives (Light A Big Fire, Auto Da Fé, Les Enfants etc). One of the problems is that we don't have the archiving gene as much as the Brits.

There are loads of similarly undervalued UK artists but you have labels like Cherry Red who regularly released genre box sets of 3, 4 or 5 CDs worth.
https://www.discogs.com/release/4707377 ... -1980-1989
https://www.discogs.com/release/2072755 ... -1980-1984
https://www.discogs.com/release/1943651 ... -1977-1988
It would be great if they'd attempt an Irish Rock set. I have done a few homemade ones (https://apopfansdream.wordpress.com/mix ... -bus-home/) but a proper release would be great.

That's just a few examples - there are dozens more. Ok, we have AllCity Records who have done a few things but they are invariably niche and will not touch major label releases.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Post by 678904673 »

Absolute genius. One of those albums best listened to in the dark