Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
KHD

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by KHD »

Berties_Horse wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:58 pm An outstanding mod who didn't overstep his boundaries and was respectful to a fault. Our interactions were always civil, and capable of overturning a minor indescretion after reasoned discussion. His sudden departure accelerated the demise of boards into a fiefdom where the usual suspects concentrated power with sadistic fervour. Not forgetting their spineless acolytes, tongues a peculiar shade of brown. Chapeau Buford, a model of integrity.
I didn't stay long after that episode, although I tried to put it behind me and asked Buford to stay, but in reality it was a taste of how the the site was heading. His resignation post below.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _115498888
Luka second Floor

Post by Luka second Floor »

Does anyone here remember the boards sex offenders scandals? A male mod sexually assaulted a then high profile female mod(she was a terrible biased mod) on a boards beers night, the following week he got promoted to admin dispite them all witnessing the assault, the female mod was disgusted by the promotion, made the story public and closed her account. Then there's another former mod who did time for child abuse images
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I do but I don't think he did get promoted to admin and the other mod you mention, I remember the rumour but I didn't believe it.

Actually I think I'm getting mixed up with a different allegation involving a female mod and a male mod.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

What I remember was he was filming under her skirt at an event and "promised to only use the footage for himself and not upload it" (or similar words).

He wasn't named afaik.. but there was a backlash and in the background he was demoted to a regular user - or perhaps banned.

He sounded like a right creep, and I _think_ someone PM'ed me his username but honestly can't remember it.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Was there not another incident before that one? Or maybe it was a threat. I vaguely recall something more serious.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I look forward to the day that the cycle obsessed AJR is found be Ireland's Jimmy Savile but without the philanthropy.

He gives off that vibe.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:19 pm I look forward to the day that the cycle obsessed AJR is found be Ireland's Jimmy Savile but without the philanthropy.

He gives off that vibe.
I posted on the subject off posters giving off vibes before:
Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.
and:
But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:38 pm The Church Of Woke

Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Another case study why the other site is sliding into the dregs: the resident sock puppet (those who naively defend Spicy are condoning other half-dozen in the basket case) engineering a thread closure "dey/dem" had no participation in. Pepper an undesirable subject (Whine Turgidy) with reports and channelling inner McQuaid: "Close her up lads, it's done". Endorsing the suppression of opposing views, such a petty mindset would laud the demise of democracy.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

Post by 95438756 »

Comedian Dermot Morgan put his finger on it with this personality cult fetish ,with characters like Father Trendy and a rugby fan, and Albert Reynolds, and Christy Moore which he got spot on.
Back on boards it's becoming like Jimmy Gatsby's mansion Parties. Or out of a Knuttel artwork.

Post by 678904673 »

Berties_Horse wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:52 am Another case study why the other site is sliding into the dregs: the resident sock puppet (those who naively defend Spicy are condoning other half-dozen in the basket case) engineering a thread closure "dey/dem" had no participation in. Pepper an undesirable subject (Whine Turgidy) with reports and channelling inner McQuaid: "Close her up lads, it's done". Endorsing the suppression of opposing views, such a petty mindset would laud the demise of democracy.
There is something seriously amiss with that poster. I've seen them called out many times by different posters for running multiple accounts yet nothing has been done. In my previous incarnation on Boards I reported them for such and within 10 minutes the Mod replied essentially saying nothing to see here.

This leads me to one of two conclusions. Either they are a Mod or are close friends with some of the Mods. Either way they are running riot over there and driving good posters away
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Travesty of a thread on the Lough Erne incident. No prizes for guessing who the main posters are. Whataboutery, deflection, answering questions with questions, advocating violence. Not one post from the idiots about what the employees of the hotel will have experienced. No mod intervention.

And I'm far from a supporter of any fascist party.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205827 ... -party-agm
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

BrianD3 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:31 pm Travesty of a thread on the Lough Erne incident. No prizes for guessing who the main posters are. Whataboutery, deflection, answering questions with questions, advocating violence. Not one post from the idiots about what the employees of the hotel will have experienced. No mod intervention.

And I'm far from a supporter of any fascist party.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205827 ... -party-agm

Some really despicable posts in that thread; reads nearly exactly like the antifa one that was shut down. Same characters up to this craic then and now. I saw the racial slur ‘gammon’ used by a cmod in another thread* (Chappelle).
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I'd rather be a mobilised Russian standing on the front lines with a flashing amber beacon stuck to my airsoft helmet than visit that kip. The internet is a big place. There's really no good reason to end up swimming in that pool full of floaters.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The NP thread is absolute sewage and tbh a prime example of “if you face fits” - trolls allowed to troll.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 pm The NP thread is absolute sewage and tbh a prime example of “if you face fits” - trolls allowed to troll.
Job done thread closed. They would prefer not to have their dirty laundry aired in public. If it was a matter they were happy to get discussed there would have been threadbans issued. The bias is clear as day.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

NP thread ?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:01 pm NP thread ?
Brian’s post linked to it.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Saw this post over there and it reminded me of an argument I once saw from James Lindsay, both make similar points in exactly what went wrong.

“ This is very sad but all too common. Activists join an org, completely overrun it, ostracize/kick out the current members, talk **** about the founding members, and change the stated purpose of the damn thing to boot. It's parasitic.”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _119922971

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Must say that I found this hilarious. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205827 ... -at-boards

People complain about the moderation and a member of 10 years gets their thread locked because they don’t meet the criteria for posting in feedback. They also get their messages deleted where only the replies remain. How can you allow one side of a conversation to remain, yet they do it regularly because it makes them look bad. Can someone leave a pointer on that review website to GUBU? :lol:
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:15 am. Can someone leave a pointer on that review website to GUBU? :lol:
Thanks pogmothoin. :mrgreen:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

After my traditional read of my old forums on Boards first thing this morning I suddenly realised why the site is gaining new members and it's because the type of people posting aren't really interested in anything except posting Twitter style rubbish to the maximum number of people. A small forum like GUBU doesn't interest them and as far as I'm concerned Planks are welcome to them.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

^^^ Nail on head.

Post by 678904673 »

I see one of our favorite Boards posters has given us a shout out again

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _119955356
KHD

Post by KHD »

Free advertising let them waffle away about us.