Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
KHD

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by KHD »

So many smilies to choose from. Fantastic.
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I love trains.
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Ya know what to keep in with current narratives on all of this I'm going to change my ways. From tomorrow you will start t see a different KHD, I will fall into line for the good of the thread. :mrgreen:
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:19 pm I can't see Russia/Putin ever giving Crimea back - too much to swallow and it's militarily important to them.
They have loads of washing machines located there and apparently in warranty too.. They will not give up their washing machines easily. Crimea has always been Ukrainian. A couple of thousand Russians were trying to get to Istanbul on rubber dingys a few months ago but couldn't keep sober long enough so ended up in Sevastopol. Ukraine will have no problem taking Crimea, the only problem is shortages of power hoses at the moment to rid Crimea of the smell of Ruskies.
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:32 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A force of 700000 Russian troops surrounding Ukraine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, right. We've seen ample evidence of how 700000 of Russia's brightest and best able-bodied men voted with their feet and fled to the safety of "anywhere but Russia" leaving only the mad, the bad and the sad to be literally dragged off the streets and told they're in the army now.

We've also seen ample evidence of how the 200-odd involuntarily mobilised are amongst the worst infantrymen the world has ever seen, with Russia's half-decent professional soldiers trying to keep well clear of them.

It sounds like Col. MacGregor is reading and believing the same FSB reports that are being dropped on Putin's desk. :roll:

And he's still peddling the line that Putin/Russia never wanted to destroy Ukrainian civilian infrastructure ...

Edit: I wonder if he knows that Russia has started evacuating women and children from Crimea? I mean I'm sure that's got absolutely nothing to do with the Ukrainians refusing to be anihilated, and they're only making sure those women can have a great winter holiday somewhere in the Motherland ... sorry Fatherland, as of this week (whodathunkit - Mother Russia was trans all along :mrgreen: )
I know crazy right ? A battalion of the Georgian legion could wipe out these 700 Ruskies in the morning. He truly is talking through his arse.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Wtf is Israel's problem here? Seriously like its about the holocaust, whats wrong with this great guy having an alternative world view on this ?

Fan of Nazi collaborator to represent Ukraine at Paris Holocaust symposium
Ukrainian Jews protest attendance of state historian Volodymyr Vyatrovych, who has hailed WWII-era leader

https://www.timesofisrael.com/fan-of-na ... symposium/
KHD

Post by KHD »

Air raid alerts over all of Ukraine bar the western part of the country. The ruskies have launched high precision washing machines via catapult from the Black Sea and SU 35 inflatables. Our boys are ready to intercept them, one Ukrainian army is qouted with a wry smile as saying "Them Russian Orks and they playfulness today"

It will give our boys a break from the monotonous "filtration" duties they are currently carrying out in Kherson on civilians who mistakenly hold Ruskie passports. The paperwork is apparently a pain while processing these eejits.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Great work was achieved in the EU parliament this morning, and not before time. Time well spent and of course they will be putting the same priority at their next session to figuring out where to accommodate the millions of Ukrainian refugees that the UN has predicted will be heading to our fair shores over the coming weeks.

Well done lads for getting your priorities right.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu ... 022-11-23/
KHD

Post by KHD »

*Correction to a previous post*

The Orks did manage to fire one Kalibr cruise missile. They found it in a garage of one of the Ruskies which they were using to hang their washing on due to the lack of washer dryers.

It has been flying around Ukraine all morning in different regions to give the impression that the orks have loads of these. Don't be fooled by the silliness of this. Apparently the Ruskies have asked the Ukrainians not to shoot it down but to let it land and return it so they can fire it again.

That will conclude my report on Ukraine for the day. Thank you for watching.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 am Air raid alerts over all of Ukraine bar the western part of the country. The ruskies have launched high precision washing machines via catapult from the Black Sea and SU 35 inflatables. Our boys are ready to intercept them, one Ukrainian army is qouted with a wry smile as saying "Them Russian Orks and they playfulness today"

It will give our boys a break from the monotonous "filtration" duties they are currently carrying out in Kherson on civilians who mistakenly hold Ruskie passports. The paperwork is apparently a pain while processing these eejits.
Apparently 50 of 70 missiles were intercepted, who knows the reality, but Lviv is without power, Kyiv without power or water, over half of the country’s infrastructure destroyed and Moldova experiencing mass blackouts despite not being hit. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63729427. Those English amraams must be helping.

Why would you even attempt to repair anything It’s just going to be destroyed again?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I see the war hawks over on planks have finally realised that Ukraine lack the weapons to attack Russia in the same way it can strike Ukraine and are calling for indiscriminate bombing of Russian cities. All in the pursuit of good and righteousness.
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:18 pm Apparently 50 of 70 missiles were intercepted, who knows the reality, but Lviv is without power, Kyiv without power or water, over half of the country’s infrastructure destroyed and Moldova experiencing mass blackouts despite not being hit. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63729427. Those English amraams must be helping.

Why would you even attempt to repair anything It’s just going to be destroyed again?
Yeah I'd say alot of the missiles were taken out by the electrical grid.

Anyway I know I've been doing parody posts for most of the day but there is a message in each of them.

The power grid is on the brink of collapse. With each salvo of missiles hitting this infrastructure it is getting more degraded with each strike, and getting more difficult to repair. Remember alot of the power grid in Ukraine is inherited from the old Soviet Union. Are parts available for these systems ? One thing I was asking myself this morning. But they will try and repair these as it is critical to water, heat for the ordinary citizens of the country. At this stage I can only imagine alot of people will be fed up with all of this and think of getting out of the country for a few months anyway. The EU has no answer for any of this, from what I see there is no discussion within the EU on how to manage the influx of potentially up 2, 3 up to 8 million refugees. Nothing.

As for the AD systems, there are unverified reports on telegram channels ( with photo but still I class as unverified ) that one of the AD missiles that hit a residential building in Kiev had the fragments of a rocket from a NASAM system. Blamed on the Russians anyway. It had the lettering "LIFT" on the fragment which corresponds with what's on the engine enclosure on the Rocket. This system will be "Marketed" as having a 100% success rate as it is a new system ( even though it's been out a while, there are only a few of the new variants available ), there will be no negative responses on this system as it will hurt sales of this system. So we really won't know how effective or ineffective it will be. But the pattern is the same, like the HIMARS and the Turkish drones, these will either be eventually destroyed or in the case of the HIMARS system, the Russian's are getting better at intercepting the projectiles out of them, which is making them less effective on the battlefield.

The Moldovan NPP went into auto shutdown mode as there was such a draw on electricity apparently from parts of Ukraine when the power system shutdown after the missile attacks. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of this can explain this process.
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm I see the war hawks over on planks have finally realised that Ukraine lack the weapons to attack Russia in the same way it can strike Ukraine and are calling for indiscriminate bombing of Russian cities. All in the pursuit of good and righteousness.
It has to be the most dumbest grouping of people I've ever had the unfortunate of reading through. I get a pain in my head reading through that garbage. There is no chance you could have any sort of reasoned discussion on any of this on there, or even learn anything. It's an echo chamber inhabited by idiots who don't know the first thing about Ukraine or Russia. All they know is how to post rubbish from extremely dubious twitter accounts and gang up on the latest putinbot that seems to join every now and then and spout off the same rubbish as the lads spewing shite about Russia do. Two sides of the same coin, but as silly as the other.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm I see the war hawks over on planks have finally realised that Ukraine lack the weapons to attack Russia in the same way it can strike Ukraine and are calling for indiscriminate bombing of Russian cities. All in the pursuit of good and righteousness.
To best my knowledge,the yanks held back long-range missiles capable of hitting deep into russian territory,for the rather obvious reason,Ukraine would do to Russia what Russia is doing to em.....

Leading to an eventual inevitably
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:17 pmAt this stage I can only imagine alot of people will be fed up with all of this and think of getting out of the country for a few months anyway. The EU has no answer for any of this ...
So you don't think that the EU sending thousands of (industrial sized) generators to Ukraine is an immediate and well-targetted answer? That's on top of the parts and expertise that has already been sent (including contributions from Ireland).

Russia is driving the modernisation (and westernisation) of every aspect of Ukrainian society and infrastructure at a faster pace than we've seen in any other European country in the last hundred years. At this rate, they'll be fully aligned with all EU standards by the time the conflict ends.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 pm So you don't think that the EU sending thousands of (industrial sized) generators to Ukraine is an immediate and well-targetted answer? That's on top of the parts and expertise that has already been sent (including contributions from Ireland).

Russia is driving the modernisation (and westernisation) of every aspect of Ukrainian society and infrastructure at a faster pace than we've seen in any other European country in the last hundred years. At this rate, they'll be fully aligned with all EU standards by the time the conflict ends.
This thread certainly wouldn’t have any positivity without you CR , but how long would a process like that take even when not being bombarded by shelling?
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 pm So you don't think that the EU sending thousands of (industrial sized) generators to Ukraine is an immediate and well-targetted answer? That's on top of the parts and expertise that has already been sent (including contributions from Ireland).

Most of the big cities are in total darkness, I doubt generators, even industrial sized will in any way make up for the current energy grid ? How secure is the fuel to power these generators ? I see videos in Kiev and other cities where there are queues of cars at service stations.

I did read some Ukrainian people talk about creating energy islands, where they configure their electrical grid to be standalone systems based in certain regions that would withstand some of the problems they are having now with the missile attacks, I don't know much about this but found it an interesting theory thats apparently doable.

That second point, that doesn't make sense. You need a stable power system for industry. Ukraine had a really good heavy industrial base until the Russians invaded and blew it all up. The country is being sent back into the dark ages, there are no positives in any of this.
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:50 pm This thread certainly wouldn’t have any positivity without you CR , but how long would a process like that take even when not being bombarded by shelling?
Two days.

Or one from where I'm working at the moment.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pmI did read some Ukrainian people talk about creating energy islands, where they configure their electrical grid to be standalone systems based in certain regions that would withstand some of the problems they are having now with the missile attacks, I don't know much about this but found it an interesting theory thats apparently doable.
That's exactly it. They are replicating for civilians the same de-centralised/disseminated supplies that the military has been using since February. Ukrainian military, obviously - the Russians are still desperately dependent on centralised "hub-and-spoke" type operations, which is what's made them so vulnerable to Ukrainian attacks. In the short term (very short term) these "regions" are tiny - individual buildings and villages - but no different to the "village" of 5000 people that my festival acquaintances run "off grid" every year (other not having to worry about quite so many H&S inspections and incomprehensible PRM obligations).
KHD wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm That second point, that doesn't make sense. You need a stable power system for industry. Ukraine had a really good heavy industrial base until the Russians invaded and blew it all up. The country is being sent back into the dark ages, there are no positives in any of this.
Ukraine was working towards being a significant exporter of electrical energy to the rest of Europe, but was held back by its continuing use of legacy Soviet systems (not the Zaporizhzhia NPP, though, which had been so significantly modernised that the Russians couldn't understand how to manage it and had no choice but to keep the Ukrainian engineers alive). The legacy Soviets in the Kremlin have decided that they're going to make the transition much easier for the Ukrainans, so their whole electrical system along with every industry that uses it - just like their weaponry - will be switched over to EU/NATO compatible systems from ... well, right now. That's only going to make the gulf between Ukraine and Soviet Russia ever deeper, with absolutely no prospect of Ukraine ever going back.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

FWIW I think I know where the Colonel got that 700,000 figure from: it's the number being reported (on Russian channels) as the target for the next mobilisation. They're not massed on the border because they haven't been called up yet, but if it's even half true, it says a lot that the Kremlin thinks it'll need that many extra bodies to replace/reinforce the missed target of 300,000 that has failed to hold Kharkiv and Kherson, bearing in mind that this 300,000 was needed to replace/reinforce the 200,000 that first invaded AND the 100,000 added during the regular spring conscription.

There are approximately 70,000 conscripts training in Belarus at the moment. With what, no-one knows, as the Russians seem to have borrowed all of Belarus' tanks and missile launchers for use elsewhere. That'll be just enough to hold the front line for another 100 days (not including injuries, surrenders or desertions) :(
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 pm That's exactly it. They are replicating for civilians the same de-centralised/disseminated supplies that the military has been using since February. Ukrainian military, obviously - the Russians are still desperately dependent on centralised "hub-and-spoke" type operations, which is what's made them so vulnerable to Ukrainian attacks. In the short term (very short term) these "regions" are tiny - individual buildings and villages - but no different to the "village" of 5000 people that my festival acquaintances run "off grid" every year (other not having to worry about quite so many H&S inspections and incomprehensible PRM obligations).

Ukraine was working towards being a significant exporter of electrical energy to the rest of Europe, but was held back by its continuing use of legacy Soviet systems (not the Zaporizhzhia NPP, though, which had been so significantly modernised that the Russians couldn't understand how to manage it and had no choice but to keep the Ukrainian engineers alive). The legacy Soviets in the Kremlin have decided that they're going to make the transition much easier for the Ukrainans, so their whole electrical system along with every industry that uses it - just like their weaponry - will be switched over to EU/NATO compatible systems from ... well, right now. That's only going to make the gulf between Ukraine and Soviet Russia ever deeper, with absolutely no prospect of Ukraine ever going back.
I can't agree with the second point. Russia is one of the world leaders at the moment for building nuclear reactors across the world globally.

https://world-nuclear.org/information-l ... dwide.aspx
Last edited by KHD on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:23 pm FWIW I think I know where the Colonel got that 700,000 figure from: it's the number being reported (on Russian channels) as the target for the next mobilisation. They're not massed on the border because they haven't been called up yet, but if it's even half true, it says a lot that the Kremlin thinks it'll need that many extra bodies to replace/reinforce the missed target of 300,000 that has failed to hold Kharkiv and Kherson, bearing in mind that this 300,000 was needed to replace/reinforce the 200,000 that first invaded AND the 100,000 added during the regular spring conscription.

There are approximately 70,000 conscripts training in Belarus at the moment. With what, no-one knows, as the Russians seem to have borrowed all of Belarus' tanks and missile launchers for use elsewhere. That'll be just enough to hold the front line for another 100 days (not including injuries, surrenders or desertions) :(
There are currently 380,000 ( 80,000 volunteers too ) successfully mobilised plus he is adding the current Russian army strength to that. They are not only being trained in Belarus, but also other locations close to the Ukrainian border with Russia. The conscripts thing you keep peddling is just silly CR, but I won't fall out with you over it, as I said before we will see how all this plays out. I admire your positive vibes in all of this, unfortunately I don't share these.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I've been following this guy since the start of the war in Ukraine, Brian Berletic, former US Marine. Always gives good and detailed analysis on current military and political events in Ukraine in my view.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Depressing old video really. I'm no wiser having watched about half of it and while there's a lot of sense, it's a bit one sided and he comes across as a very pro-Russian.

PS I prefer your farming and trees posts - more please! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 pm Depressing old video really. I'm no wiser having watched about half of it and while there's a lot of sense, it's a bit one sided and he comes across as a very pro-Russian.

PS I prefer your farming and trees posts - more please! :mrgreen:
He's a very clinical presenter and doesn't mince his words and yes I would say he is pro Russia, but still, alot of Ukrainians follow the likes of Rybar. Better than the coverage on RTE anyway. ( PS the second half was the best ). Most of this is unpalatable to most people as it makes a joke out of what we are being fed in the main stream media. But should not be ignored for that reason.

I have a big interest in military conflicts, but I'll try to stick to the farming and trees in future. :mrgreen: