Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Banned decision

DeletedUser

Banned decision

Post by DeletedUser »

Great idea this.

Okay - I weas banned for 24 hours for being sarcastic about a Boards user - even using initials as told.

Yet I was labelled an "incel" by a user and the only "penalty" was the word was removed with a snidy "to keep the peace" comment.

Unfair.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Banned decision

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:42 am Great idea this.

Okay - I weas banned for 24 hours for being sarcastic about a Boards user - even using initials as told.

Yet I was labelled an "incel" by a user and the only "penalty" was the word was removed with a snidy "to keep the peace" comment.

Unfair.
You were not banned for being sarcastic. You were banned for being a dick, because of this comment:
I look forward to the day that the cycle obsessed AJR is found be Ireland's Jimmy Savile but without the philanthropy.

He gives off that vibe.
I certainly didn't say it was okay to make personal attacks if you use initials. This is what I had to say on the subject:
I do feel some of the stuff in this thread is alienating. Or worse, likely to attract new users who are only interested in contributing more of the same.

Some of criticism levelled at GUBU on boards is that it is just disaffected posters whining about boards. If your first impression of this site was this thread, that sounds like fair criticism.

Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.

I've no intention of closing this thread, and have given a little more leeway to dicks in this thread for a few different reasons, mainly because I realise there is a depth of feeling on the subject of boards, and people can lose the run of themselves on this topic when they might be more balanced in other threads.

But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.

By all means discuss particular posts and threads, link to them, and comment etc - we'll all understand what you're talking about without having to resort to personal attacks.

On balance I think it is OK to discuss the modding and specific mods. After all, the wheels coming off Boards modding was one of the reasons this site was started in the first place.

But don't get personal please. You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter **** or whatever, so you're not really adding anything by spelling it out.

If you see some examples of lunatic modding, link to it and great, let's all have a laugh at the nonsense, but there is nothing to be gained by indulging in personal abuse.
You were lucky to only get a 24 hour ban. If you really think thinly veiled suggestions of pedophilia can be brushed off as sarcasm, then perhaps you should think a bit more about the vibe your own posts give off rather than other peoples, irrespective of what site they are on.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So there's a been a sense of humour failure eh ?

Same as allowing a former Boards user to call me human waste. Sure.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:43 pm So there's a been a sense of humour failure eh ?

I'm not saying I think the Jimmy Saville comment is the same. I am saying I think it is worse. Hence the ban.

You keep mentioning boards users as if this is somehow relevant. It's wrong to think that being a boards user/former user somehow affects whether or not a post is acceptable.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:43 pm So there's a been a sense of humour failure eh ?

He didn’t allow that to be fair. I remember reporting it and he had deleted his account already. Then the message was removed. He was being a dickhead and I’m sure would have incurred a ban too.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:51 pm I'm not saying I think the Jimmy Saville comment is the same. I am saying I think it is worse. Hence the ban.

You keep mentioning boards users as if this is somehow relevant. It's wrong to think that being a boards user/former user somehow affects whether or not a post is acceptable.
You still allowed incel as an insult and mocked the removal of the word, not the post.

Some can be dicks clearly.