Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
marhay70

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 am A good many of us know this horrible feeling, getting thrown back to feeling belly-sore guilty for missing school, afraid of what the teacher will say. Sometimes it strikes me hard, out of the blue, how crazily we humans live now, the routines and rhythms the post industrial world has forced into our lives, the dislocation from natural impulses and inclinations. We are an odd species that civilisation has taken us from the garden, the fields, the sea, the mountains, to the cubicle, the screen, the harried shift, the blood thumping snarl of traffic.

Hope you feel well soon.

Dev's vision of a modern Ireland. Just think, you missed out on this :(
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Those idiots on scooters should be culled.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
KHD

Post by KHD »

Nowhere to put this.

KHD

Post by KHD »

Heard a great phrase on the radio there - Policy idealism, basically ignoring reality and creating a policy document based on an idealistic belief that is not grounded in day to day realities.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah now, if we didn't have idealistic dreamers wouldn't we still be baytin' each other with sticks and dryin' our wolfskin underpants over a miserable smokey fire in a damp cave. :mrgreen:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

:x Less than 2 hours sleep last night so my mind is mush.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:58 pm :x Less than 2 hours sleep last night so my mind is mush.
Self inflicted ?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Don’t know how some people only get 3-4 hours sleep/ night. Without 5-6 I’m like a zombie.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:14 pmSelf inflicted ?
As the wonderful Ray LaMontagne said......Trouble
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble
Trouble been doggin' my soul since the day I was born
Worry
Worry, worry, worry, worry
Worry just will not seem to leave my mind alone.......

So yes self inflicted :lol:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

knownunknown wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm Don’t know how some people only get 3-4 hours sleep/ night. Without 5-6 I’m like a zombie.
It's rare for me and is a real struggle in work but Wednesdays are short and sometimes quiet like today. The bit of paper work I had to do felt massive so I'll finish it tomorrow. I have a headache and my belly feels weird.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Why do something today D that you can put off till tomorrow?... to reverse a well know saying. :mrgreen:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:39 pm Why do something today D that you can put off till tomorrow?... to reverse a well know saying. :mrgreen:
Yes! That is my motto KH :D. I have an extremely long finger :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:33 pm Yes! That is my motto KH :D. I have an extremely long finger :mrgreen:
I sometimes get motivational thoughts coming into my head too but usually if i boil the kettle and have another coffee it makes them go away. ;) I'm finished being motivated for 2022, there's always next year bosco.

Post by 678904673 »

What's the deal with Brussels Sprouts. Does anyone eat them outside of Christmas. I know I never have
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Loved the 1940 clip of rural Ireland. I presume they 'colorised' it? and location? Kerry?
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

As for sprouts it is all in the cooking! less is more!!
KHD

Post by KHD »

I love sprouts, trick is not to over cook them so they retain some sweetness similar to broccoli.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The only way I’m able to eat sprouts is to take what’s offered up on my plate and throw them into a frying pan with a load of butter for a few minutes, then add some sriracha sauce. Lots of butter and chilli sauce. Can’t taste the sprouts at all.

Otherwise I’ll let them go cold and throw them in the bin. Manky bitter balls. Bleurgh.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Celery and cabbage are the only two inedible vegetables. I cannot understand the media frenzy about sprouts every year - along with cauliflower and broccoli they are delicious - definitely all in the cooking.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:26 pm Celery and cabbage are the only two inedible vegetables. I cannot understand the media frenzy about sprouts every year - along with cauliflower and broccoli they are delicious - definitely all in the cooking.
Cabbage is lovely picked in sauerkraut or kimchi.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:26 pm Celery and cabbage are the only two inedible vegetables. I cannot understand the media frenzy about sprouts every year - along with cauliflower and broccoli they are delicious - definitely all in the cooking.
Bleurgh to all of them. :x

Except the celery. That's a lovely vegetable.

I dislike all of the brassicas and would not voluntarily eat any, but can (just about) swallow them out of politeness if served up in polite company and I have a large jug of water within reach. But not sprouts. They get left on the plate, regardless of the company.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

I don't mind sprouts. There isn't really a vegetable I dislike. They aren't my favourite and I only eat them at Christmas time but they ok. Oh except cold. They are awful yokes when they are cold.

When I was a child and teenager I loved cabbage sandwiches :D They are sort of sprout like.

Post by 678904673 »

Around this time of year I always think of something which happened on Christmas Eve. It was over 25 years go and I was working in the bar trade at the time.

It had just turned 6pm and we were on last orders when a man came in with a big bag of shopping and ordered a pint. I was bit reluctant to give it to him as he had a few on him. But I thought what the hell. Its Christmas Eve and he'll only be getting the one here.

He drank his pint was no trouble and left. A bit later when cleaning up, we came across his shopping bag which contained mainly kids toys. My manager stayed on for an hour longer in case he came back. But he didn't. In fact he never came back. We kept the presents until mid January. Then my manager donated them to a charity shop.

I sometimes wonder what that house was like on Christmas morning
Last edited by 678904673 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Them Athlone Sweet co blue raspberry bon bon sweets are highly addictive. Need to be careful they don't pull out any of my fillings. I'm eating 5 at a time, so the bag is not going to last long.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:14 am I don't mind sprouts. There isn't really a vegetable I dislike. They aren't my favourite and I only eat them at Christmas time but they ok. Oh except cold. They are awful yokes when they are cold.

When I was a child and teenager I loved cabbage sandwiches :D They are sort of sprout like.
Talking of cold sprouts, I usually use frozen sprouts now. Put them in a pot, cover with boiling water, add salt, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 15minutes, drain and serve. Always soft and tasty, not like the miniature billiard balls you get with overcooked fresh sprouts.