Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
DeletedUser

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by DeletedUser »

Off to buy sprouts - fried with balsamic vinegar and ham, fecking gorgeous!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:00 pm Off to buy sprouts - fried with balsamic vinegar and ham, fecking gorgeous!!!!
Oh I feel sick just reading that. Brussel sprouts should be ejected from our atmosphere, preferably towards the sun
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:24 pm Oh I feel sick just reading that. Brussel sprouts should be ejected from our atmosphere, preferably towards the sun
You’re both right, Brussels sprouts are much nicer when hitting higher temperatures rather then boiling. Colour = flavour. :roll:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sprouts are not on my mind now, but they were earlier when I was cruising the aisles of my local supermarket. Not a one to be seen anywhere, and Christmas is all the better for it! Vive la France! :lol:

Not a turkey to be seen either, at least not that you'd notice under the mountains of oysters, capons, red deer, roe deer, buffalo, kangaroo, ostrich and wild boar. But I've decided to stick with more traditional fare: (pan fried) duck for Christmas Eve, (roast) Beef for Christmas Day, (grilled) pork for Stephenses Day ... etc.

As for accompaniments, I've set myself the challenge of celebrating "the twelve potato days of Christmas" :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

I came home today and my oulfella got 4 lovely bags of sprouts, freshly pulled by the looks of the end of them. Unfortunately he put them into the freezer compartment of the fridge, thinking it was ok. Anyway they were frozen solid so I had to buy another 4 bags tonight in case they are spoiled ( I've no experience in freezing anything fresh ).. so I got another 4 bags tonight and put the ones that were frozen in a bag and left them in a press.

Anyway thank fook I don't have to go into another shop till after Christmas.
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:16 pm Sprouts are not on my mind now, but they were earlier when I was cruising the aisles of my local supermarket. Not a one to be seen anywhere, and Christmas is all the better for it! Vive la France! :lol:

Not a turkey to be seen either, at least not that you'd notice under the mountains of oysters, capons, red deer, roe deer, buffalo, kangaroo, ostrich and wild boar. But I've decided to stick with more traditional fare: (pan fried) duck for Christmas Eve, (roast) Beef for Christmas Day, (grilled) pork for Stephenses Day ... etc.

As for accompaniments, I've set myself the challenge of celebrating "the twelve potato days of Christmas" :mrgreen:
The twelve potato days of Christmas sounds like a great idea.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I’d rather lick the soles of KHD’s mucky boots than decide to ruin a nice dinner by adding brussel sprouts to the menu.

Gnawing on a crusty pair of underpants found in a bin at a homeless shelter would taste better.

Brushing my teeth using Kadman’s toilet brush is a more appetising option than eating those little brussel balls of bitterness.

Bon appetite.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I remember when we used to harvest and sell sprouts there was always people looking for the tops of the plant. We'd give them a big bag of them for nothing... I wouldn't go near them as this is usually where the woodcrest ( pigeons ) would be doing their big shits on as they eat the tops of the plant.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:43 pm I remember when we used to harvest and sell sprouts there was always people looking for the tops of the plant. We'd give them a big bag of them for nothing... I wouldn't go near them as this is usually where the woodcrest ( pigeons ) would be doing their big shits on as they eat the tops of the plant.
I used to grow them and what the caterpillars didn't eat the wood pigeons did. More luck with broccoli but the old cabbage white butterflies are a menace. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:38 pm I’d rather lick the soles of KHD’s mucky boots than decide to ruin a nice dinner by adding brussel sprouts to the menu.

Gnawing on a crusty pair of underpants found in a bin at a homeless shelter would taste better.

Brushing my teeth using Kadman’s toilet brush is a more appetising option than eating those little brussel balls of bitterness.

Bon appetite.
A bit of muck is good for your immune system :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:46 pm I used to grow them and what the caterpillars didn't eat the wood pigeons did. More luck with broccoli but the old cabbage white butterflies are a menace. :mrgreen:
Walking through them you'd be drowned from the waist down, so a good heavy waterproof leggings was essential, we used to pick them by hand dragging along big circular wire crates. Your hands would literally be falling off you with the cold. These days they are cut whole and the leaves stripped and sprouts taken off by machine. It was one of the hardest jobs on the hands I had with regards the cold, at least with turnips and cabbage your moving quicker not stationary hoping the next plant will have big decent size sprouts so it would fill the basket quicker. :D

As for the the aphids, cabbage root fly and cabbage white, we had Dursban, a lovely scented systemic insecticide now banned by the EU.... but I still have a litre of it in the shed that's over 30 years old... the active ingredients are likely deactived now but can't take the risk as it is highly toxic to waterways and water courses. I might chance bringing it down to the local council and see if I can pass it off as a garden insecticide :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

I think I saw a liberal lefty today, there was a woman walking along a path with rainbow coloured boots, I looked them up and they were LGTBJ-+ whatever boots... she was also wearing a mask even though she was outdoors. Is that the embodiment of a liberal lefty twitter goon out in the wild ? Sorry don't like slagging off what people wear as I'm no fashion sense whatsoever... but was something I took note of and thought of twitter straight away for some reason... probably a consequence of all the stuff I read in here :D
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:20 pm I think I saw a liberal lefty today, there was a woman walking along a path with rainbow coloured boots, I looked them up and they were LGTBJ-+ whatever boots... she was also wearing a mask even though she was outdoors. Is that the embodiment of a liberal lefty twitter goon out in the wild ? Sorry don't like slagging off what people wear as I'm no fashion sense whatsoever... but was something I took note of and thought of twitter straight away for some reason... probably a consequence of all the stuff I read in here :D
She needs to spend a summer cutting turf in the bog without her phone.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:20 pm I think I saw a liberal lefty today, there was a woman walking along a path with rainbow coloured boots, I looked them up and they were LGTBJ-+ whatever boots... she was also wearing a mask even though she was outdoors. Is that the embodiment of a liberal lefty twitter goon out in the wild ?
See now: kadman gives me a slagging for hanging around with barefoot dancing damsels, but at least most of them would know how to kill and gut a chicken, and be ready to roast it over a fire of wood from a tree they'd felled with their own chainsaw! :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Why is that delivery of gas taking so long?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LGTBJ+ lol - love it!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
KHD

Post by KHD »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:41 pm LGTBJ+ lol - love it!!!!
Only copped that now :mrgreen:
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Finished all me Xmas shopping,soon be time for my annual Xmas eve cigar (only smoke twice a year,one cigar Xmas eve,other on Stephens night)

Gonna be a quiet Xmas this year,the people that would come visit,or that I'd go to are all COVID / rotton with colds and flus

Happy Xmas,and new year to all GUBUrs🙂
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Happy Christmas Gubus :D

I hope Santy is good to you all.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I've seed been delivered to me this morning from a company in Cork. The courier company I never heard of before - Greenway Couriers, I wonder when the developers wrote the software or came up with the list of shipping statuses there was a some private joke worked into the application. What does that even mean!
20230104_110707.png
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:11 amWhat does that even mean!
That means you might want to open it in an well-ventilated space. :lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am That means you might want to open it in an well-ventilated space. :lol:
Maybe they are shipping me 10 kilos of hemp seed instead of what I ordered. Hopefully a badge is not pulled on me when I'm signing the docket. :mrgreen:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

All around to K's for some weed :D

I was going to type "..his seed" but that would be weird :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:50 am All around to K's for some weed :D

Funny thing was I was actually contemplating growing hemp, but looked at the red tape and hoops you have to go through to get a licence and gave up on it. A neighbour of mine was nearly two years getting a licence, which he got. But I dont think he went ahead with it in the end.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:50 am All around to K's for some weed :D

I hope your not out shopping for munchies and snacks D, there's no way you'd smoke this stuff for a laugh unfortunately.
Screenshot_20230104_141728_Gallery.jpg