Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Amazon Prime

The silver screen

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by 678904673 »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:11 pm Must admit, I'm enjoying the 'The Peripheral' atm. Loosely based on a William Gibson novel...

Wasn't sure about giving it a watch. But I'll lash on an episode tonight and report back
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Jigsaw Man" (1983)
Michael Caine stars in slow moving Cold War classic with a star studded cast including Sir Laurence Olivier, Susan George and Robert Powell. Typical of its era and genre, and you either love or hate these type of movies - I can't get enough of them!

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Caine made quite a bit of dross in the 80's but The Jigsaw Man is one of his better ones
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"End of Watch" (2012)

Watchable American cop movie with a good deal of violence. Not much of a plot and the ending is completely predictable. 6/10

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Eleven days in to my Prime (Video) Membership, and I've reached the bottom of the barrel. :roll:

All that's left on my watch list are four middling movies I've already seen in alternative universes, and all but one of the new discoveries were given the fast-forward or feck-this treatment. Of a random selection of other also-seens which I thought I might watch and that don't feature in my offline collection, every single one is only available for an additional fee.

So between that pile of shyte and the slower-than-China delivery times, I will happily cancel my free subscription with no regrets. :|
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just finished Season.3. of Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan". Excellent fare if you like plenty of action. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:44 pm Just finished Season.3. of Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan". Excellent fare if you like plenty of action. 10/10
That was the "but one" :mrgreen:

Came out in 2022, so presumably mostly written/filmed in '21 at the latest; spookily close to the events that subsequently unfolded in the real world.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"On the line" (2022)

An Amazon Original starring Mel Gibson as a late night radio chat show host who likes to play pranks on new members of staff at the station..
An interesting enough plot which holds you to the end. 7/10.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Breaker Morant" (1980)

Eric Woodward stars in this ancient but infinitely watchable account of three British officers who were scapegoated in the interests of diplomacy during the Boer War. Loosely based on a true story but there's a lot more going on than the movie reveals. For anybody interested there's a lot of information out there https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments ... t-executed and to this day there's a campaign to have the three officers pardoned for their actions in killing Boer prisoners. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I binged on Bosch with Titus Welliver playing part... got me back reading Michael Connelly books.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cobham wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:58 am I binged on Bosch with Titus Welliver playing part... got me back reading Michael Connelly books.
Excellent series!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Fourth State (2012)

A German journalist gets caught up in a terrorist plot in Moscow while investigating the Russian secret service. 10/10

Not a good advertisement for the Russian tourist industry - is there one?

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Law of the Land" (2017)

Dark Scandinavian movie with sub-titles. Family disputes, murder, mayhem and retribution in the snow. A genre which rare fails. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Finished Season.2. of "Bosch Legacy" last night - excellent stuff and apparently a third season has been commissioned. Just three days of my current free trial to run and I have to try and binge the entire latest season of "Fargo".
'no more blah blah blah'
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:14 pm Finished Season.2. of "Bosch Legacy" last night - excellent stuff and apparently a third season has been commissioned. Just three days of my current free trial to run and I have to try and binge the entire latest season of "Fargo".
You'll be pleased to know Bosch is also getting at least 2 more spin offs, one on J Edgar and another on Det. Renee Ballard who is a major character in the books
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Reacher Season.2. does it for me.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Cancelled Prime when I got the message that they were going to be running adverts and that I'd have to pay an extra €50 a year to opt out. I'm already paying for the service, why should I have to pay more not to see ads?
Amazon has gone to fcuk anyway, ever since Bezos left. Not that I think Bezos was very customer orientated but he wasn't in the way of changing things. Then the new boy comes in and has to show the shareholders just what a whiz kid businessman he is by making cuts and changes that are detrimental to the customer. There are few top brands on Amazon anymore, go and search for anything and it's all tat, backed up by reviews that could compete for the Booker prize in fiction.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I watched a feel-good movie tonight featuring a cast of pensioners many of whom I had assumed were long dead.
"Renegades" (2022) starring Lee Majors (The Six Million Dollar Man); Ian Ogilvy (The Saint); Stephanie Beecham (Dynasty).

Delectable Patsy Kensit still looking great at 55 also featured but her acting 'ability' was not greatly taxed.

It was a strange piss-take of a film with hammy dialogue, cheap production and very strange casting. It was like something a retirement home or men's shed might produce on a miniscule budget. Despite that I found it entertaining, probably due to my lifetime hatred of criminal scum - hang 'em high! :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'