Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by Del.Monte »

jmayo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:52 pm Ever hear the old story about the scorpion and the frog?
Who in their right mind would trust Putin?

And why should someone ask for peace talks when a big chunk of their country is occupied and will never be given back only forcebly taken back.

I didn't know there were so many that would be fans of old Neville Chamberlain.
I think that Winston Churchill would have been with Neville Chamberlain if Hitler had been armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Sam Freid Bankman's Ex Flips.
KHD

Post by KHD »

While Stephen Donnelly pats himself on the back after being reappointed to the role of minister for health, the below tragic incident happens. Reading through the story it sounds like a hospital out of a warzone. Good man Donnelly, your as fookin useless as your predecessors.

Teenage girl who died from meningitis left on hospital trolley for up to 16 hours

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/new ... 39768.html
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The only reason Donnelly is still in that job is Angola - who else would want it. He has proved to be completely incompetent but that was never a bar to progression in Irish politics.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

That's appalling. Her whole life ahead of her.

It seems that hospitals were exceptionally busy last Saturday with people slipping and falling. While the frost was gone by Sunday, the day before saw serious black ice and bad road conditions. I nearly came a cropper in my driveway while bringing out the bins while later on, my car went across to the other side of the road.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The HSE and the hospitals themselves strike me as places where the army should be asked to carry out an urgent study. Shambolic and utterly wasteful is my view from the armchair and Donnelly and his like are incapable of seeing the wood for the trees.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Great website that declassified uk......lesson to learn there for Ukrainians about keeping the Brits in their corner
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Pity it didn't work because the present situation might never have arisen if Russia had been properly brought into the club instead of being derided.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:06 am The only reason Donnelly is still in that job is Angola - who else would want it. He has proved to be completely incompetent but that was never a bar to progression in Irish politics.
It's the one thing drives me spare about Irish politics, political parties writing off roles such as health (now housing) and classing em as too much work/unsolvable etc

When in reality,anyone worth their weight in ambition or drive to serve public would want be in and be trying to make a difference there....in Ireland our politicians regard hard work as to be avoided,how we ended up with a dail packed with work-shy chancers who have no pride or drive to improve things is just dire
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:23 am Pity it didn't work because the present situation might never have arisen if Russia had been properly brought into the club instead of being derided.
We are in a new unstable reality now with regards to Russian relations with the collective west. The recent speeches by Putin has confirmed we have entered a new cold war and that there is a possibility now of a direct confrontation with Nato and the US. I'll try and do a separate thread on it later if I have the time, as it deserves its own thread. But after Putin now confirming that the Russian military will be built up to levels not seen since the collapse of the Soviet Union, things are going to get very real, very quickly from what I can see.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The democrats in the US pushed a 1.7 trillion dollar spending bill while most people were away for Christmas. Last hour type of stuff written by 3 outgoing politicians who will never face a vote ever again in front of the public. No chance to be debated. This is how the gravy train happens.

More members of congress showed up to hear Zelensky speak then did vote on this bill.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just heard on the radio that the Greens want to end the reduction on duties on fuel when they expire in a few weeks. Leo wants to extend them. For the sake of the rest of us, I hope the Greens loose this argument.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Turkey's top court rules that Erdoğan’s presidential decree in 2021 to withdraw from the Council of Europe's Istanbul convention is lawful. To me it means Turkey's EU candidacy hopes is more or less dead in the water.

https://www.duvarenglish.com/top-turkis ... news-61665
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

18 million quid. I was tempted to put this in WTF. Look at the incline on those accessibility ramps. What sort of an eegit designed them? Even if you were able -bodied those yokes would be lethal with a bit of ice.

To be honest I've never been to the place so I don't know what the potential layouts could have been but surely something better than this?

Maybe someone here knows the place.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Owen Hanley, Cllr in Galway for Social Democrats, resigns.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pol ... 62148.html

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Doesn't look old enough to vote let alone be a councillor.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

He's 26.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:36 pmHe's 26.
When you're my age everyone appears very young. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Mud slinging has been taken to a new level. Why would anyone waste good cow manure on a politician :?: although it hasn't been established what type of poop it was.

KHD

Post by KHD »

Turns out it was cow dung, they should try spending a day taking out a 120 tonnes of it out of a shed.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It was a nasty thing to do. Very nasty. Even though I wouldn't vote for her if my hair was on fire and she had an extinguisher, I still offered her my condemnation of the act and hope that she is okay.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:22 pm Turns out it was cow dung, they should try spending a day taking out a 120 tonnes of it out of a shed.
Calling it excrement (with its obvious inference) made a better headline for the media to whip up hysteria. Nothing wrong with cow dung but I draw the line at shovelling 120 tons of it. I used to like standing in cow pats when I was young - but I was wearing wellies! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

KHD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:16 am Mud slinging has been taken to a new level. Why would anyone waste good cow manure on a politician :?: although it hasn't been established what type of poop it was.

You should read the replies.
Yes all the other politicians of every hue are saying how terrible it is along with the other usual twatter crew, but there are a few others.
One asked was it
"a good aim"
Others said ...
"That’s because yore importing shït into the country."

"Read the room....the public are angry..."

"That bag was a metaphorical boomerang"

"Now you know what it feels like to be an irish citizen under fianna fail and fine geal governments."

I am just hoping someone parks a Major or Abbey in front of the greens and turns on the PTO.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Interestingly there was an interview on RTE radio with one of the recipients of the bit of cow dung flung at them and another politician and I was hoping the RTE journalist would pipe in and mention something along the lines of is this sort of thing not an indication that the public are increasingly angry and frustrated at our political representatives but no, it was basically an interview on how hard it is to be a politician etc etc
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:40 pm It was a nasty thing to do. Very nasty. Even though I wouldn't vote for her if my hair was on fire and she had an extinguisher, I still offered her my condemnation of the act and hope that she is okay.
I don't condone these acts, but thinking to myself, while walking into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, if i saw Stephen Donnelly or Eamonn Ryan walking up my driveway and I had cow manure or dirt close by, I couldn't say a hundred percent that after roaring at them to get the fck off my property I wouldn't fling something at them when they turned to walk out, if I was in bad enough form :mrgreen: